Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: #11-15 US cities?
Baltimore 15 11.19%
Denver 51 38.06%
Detroit 64 47.76%
Miami 82 61.19%
Minneapolis 64 47.76%
Phoenix 49 36.57%
San Diego 29 21.64%
Seattle 91 67.91%
Other 7 5.22%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 134. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2020, 08:57 AM

1,801 posts, read 1,948,786 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by murksiderock View Post
Just a small quibble for a future thread lol...you have Sacramento way too low. It is unquestionably in the same category as your Tough 32 cities. Maybe perception hasn't quite caught up to it yet for some people, but it is way outta place for the grouping of cities you lumped it with...
I'd honestly say that Sacramento is right on the border when I was planning this out. But its not much different than say cities on the "bubble" of the 32 like Columbus, which I'd say is neck-and-neck for the final spot, with Cincinnati possibly also joining that bubble camp. I'd say it would be the #33 city, much like how Detroit/Denver are right on the bubble for this list. Still, I'd say its closer in importance to Fresno (the next tier down) than it is to the Bay Area in the top 5. And honestly, nine other cities in that tier have a pro sports team as well, so I'd hardly call it unreasonable to place it in that tier, and that could be done for a future poll.

Meanwhile, while Denver may be losing to Detroit, keep in mind I gave it my vote since it is basically the largest city between Phoenix and Chicago in importance, while having all four pro sports, and arguably a top 10 airport.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2020, 09:41 AM

5,819 posts, read 5,619,238 times
So the early returns are showing that people don't really see San Diego and Baltimore in this group. Not surprising with Baltimore; I am a little surprised with San Diego....can't say I disagree much with either, though...

We all agree Miami and Seattle are interchangeably the top two. That means there's a 4-city race for the final three spots between Denver, Detroit, Minneapolis, and Phoenix...

Personally I believe Detroit and Minny have to be in there, so just my opinion, the last spot is between Denver and Phx...

Old 04-24-2020, 10:03 AM

5,819 posts, read 5,619,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Borntoolate85 View Post
I'd honestly say that Sacramento is right on the border when I was planning this out. But its not much different than say cities on the "bubble" of the 32 like Columbus, which I'd say is neck-and-neck for the final spot, with Cincinnati possibly also joining that bubble camp. I'd say it would be the #33 city, much like how Detroit/Denver are right on the bubble for this list. Still, I'd say its closer in importance to Fresno (the next tier down) than it is to the Bay Area in the top 5. And honestly, nine other cities in that tier have a pro sports team as well, so I'd hardly call it unreasonable to place it in that tier, and that could be done for a future poll.

Meanwhile, while Denver may be losing to Detroit, keep in mind I gave it my vote since it is basically the largest city between Phoenix and Chicago in importance, while having all four pro sports, and arguably a top 10 airport.
Ah, the fabled sports team argument...

Sacramento's issue is these narrow views of it as a city that don't really judge it on its merits. It's a Top 25 media market and UA, and barely misses the Top 25 on MSA and GDP (26 and 27, respectively). We know it isn't a legacy city, and yet it offers pretty much everything that other cities its size offers---->by the way there are now two big league sports franchises in Sacramento...

The fact that it's too close to The Bay is a huge hindrance in the view of public perception for those like yourself who don't see it the same as your 32-group. I don't know where you'd put Oakland or San Jose, but if both of those cities were thought of as singular cities, Sacramento is much closer to them than it is Fresno, and all three would fall in that 32-group....and comfortably so, I'd add. It's hard for me to imagine either of the three on the bubble by any objective standard...

There are cities in that 32-group that are skating by on legacy more than anything else; others that are just more popular. Sacramento is a wonderful city that provides a lived experience right there with any of those cities, and even greater in some cases. Notoriously underrated and you're doing the same here, there really is no strong case that Sac would be lower than a Top 30 when its touching Top 25 on virtually all objective standards. Not having a franchise in every major league is more a product of its geography to The Bay and its relatively youthful development as a city, than it is saying anything poorly about the city itself...

Sacramento would be considered a major city damn near anywhere else in the United States, if it wasn't in California...

Old 04-24-2020, 10:29 AM

14,044 posts, read 13,917,236 times
What about Austin and Atlanta

Old 04-24-2020, 11:10 AM

9,377 posts, read 9,319,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BPt111 View Post
What about Austin and Atlanta
Atlanta is in the #6-10 group.

And Austin isn't quite a top 15 city yet. I don't see an argument for Austin ahead of the other cities in this thread.

Old 04-24-2020, 11:35 AM

159 posts, read 171,908 times
Baltimore doesn't belong in this tier.

Old 04-24-2020, 11:37 AM

2,539 posts, read 2,859,085 times
11. Seattle
12. Phoenix
13. Detroit
14. Denver
15. Miami

Old 04-24-2020, 12:08 PM

795 posts, read 481,730 times
I voted for 6: Miami, Seattle, Phoenix, Denver, Minneapolis, and San Diego. Two of the last ones I mentioned can 'battle' for 15th and 16th place. I would put Miami at 11 and Seattle at 12 (maybe... But I switch back and forth with those two). These cities are all booming and growing, which is why I voted for them.

I feel like Detroit, Baltimore, New Orleans and St. Louis are in their own category. They were once major stars who have declined significantly and seem to be in a rut. I don't say that with malice either. As I said in another post, hopefully they'll return to their greatest at some point.

Old 04-24-2020, 12:23 PM

1,798 posts, read 1,121,300 times
11. Miami
12. Seattle
13. Detroit
14. Minneapolis
15. San Diego

San Diego is more important than Denver and Phoenix. It's a global hub for defense, international trade, and tech/innovation. Honestly...what are Denver and Phoenix important for? An airport or the state's sports teams? San Diego's industries and binational economy are a lot more important and impactful.

Being a big fish in a small pond doesn't automatically make you important at a national or international level.

Last edited by newgensandiego; 04-24-2020 at 12:40 PM..

Old 04-24-2020, 12:45 PM

21,628 posts, read 12,718,846 times
Seattle Miami Phoenix Detroit Denver...16. MInneapolis
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City