Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: #11-15 US cities?
Baltimore 15 11.19%
Denver 51 38.06%
Detroit 64 47.76%
Miami 82 61.19%
Minneapolis 64 47.76%
Phoenix 49 36.57%
San Diego 29 21.64%
Seattle 91 67.91%
Other 7 5.22%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 134. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2020, 03:12 PM

7,409 posts, read 6,545,347 times

Advertisements

Miami's black community represents 17.7% of its total population, which is slightly higher than the national average of 15% (and not that far behind that of Viriginia Beach, 19%, where the other poster who commented is from):

https://www.indexmundi.com/facts/uni...ion-percentage

There are quite a few other big cities with a noticeably lower percentage:

Denver: 9.4%
Los Angeles: 8.9%
Seattle: 7.0%
Phoenix: 6.9%
San Diego: 6.5%
Portland: 5.8%
SF: 5.2%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobdreamz View Post
I don't think Miami is trying to push black people out. The city is gentrifying and what is left of the black neighborhoods are mostly lower income hence you now have developers buying into areas like Overtown & Liberty City and they are driving prices up.
It's quite interesting to see what has been going on in Miami because in the 80's & 90's it was one of the Top 5 poorest cities in the country. Now it's not even in the Top 25.

Last edited by elchevere; 04-25-2020 at 03:24 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2020, 03:13 PM

20,514 posts, read 33,527,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mezter View Post
It's kinda ridiculous to me that Miami doesn't have the most votes.
Or at least around the same as Seattle.

Old 04-25-2020, 03:22 PM

some might still have an outdated, 1980's image of the city.....though I had visited the area since the late 1970's, my opinion of Miami did not really change for the better until I started coming out on a regular basis for business 4-5 times a year starting in 2013 which prompted me to move here at the end of 2016. Completely different animal now, like many cities.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mezter View Post
It's kinda ridiculous to me that Miami doesn't have the most votes.

Last edited by elchevere; 04-25-2020 at 03:31 PM..

Old 04-25-2020, 03:30 PM

2,223 posts, read 1,394,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newgensandiego View Post
San Diego flies under the radar for most Americans. But ultimately, that is just due to lack of awareness and outdated perceptions as a "beach town" or "military town".

The binational region has nearly 5.5 million residents and San Diego has at least 3-4 industries of global relevance (defense, telecommunications, biotech/life sciences, trade). It also wouldn't surprise me if San Diego-Tijuana had more manufacturing output than these other regions. https://www.sandiego.gov/economic-de...o/maquiladoras

What is San Diego lacking in its downtown relative to these other options? In general, I find the other cities' downtowns to be more lacking, although Denver is pretty much on-par. Downtown Phoenix looks like DTSD 40-50 years ago.
I think San Diego's downtown is nice, but I can see "doesn't have a big city feel". It's not as dense as what you see on the east coast, and doesn't have the skyscrapers or multi-nodal density of a Houston/Dallas/Atlanta. Overall I think San Diego meets expectations given its metro population, and I agree that it's comparable to Denver, Minneapolis, etc.

Old 04-25-2020, 03:46 PM

5,820 posts, read 5,625,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elchevere View Post
Miami's black community represents 17.7% of its total population, which is slightly higher than the national average of 15% (and not that far behind that of Viriginia Beach, 19%, where the other poster who commented is from):

https://www.indexmundi.com/facts/uni...ion-percentage

There are quite a few other big cities with a noticeably lower percentage:

Denver: 9.4%
Los Angeles: 8.9%
Seattle: 7.0%
Phoenix: 6.9%
San Diego: 6.5%
Portland: 5.8%
SF: 5.2%
Miami's black population is declining more rapidly than all of these cities, which is the specific point I mentioned, per 2018 ACS estimates compared to the 2010 Census...

Old 04-25-2020, 03:49 PM

That’s fine..though it still has quite a ways to go before reaching SF levels (if it ever does).

Quote:
Originally Posted by murksiderock View Post
Miami's black population is declining more rapidly than all of these cities, which is the specific point I mentioned, per 2018 ACS estimates compared to the 2010 Census...

Old 04-25-2020, 04:08 PM

Quote:
That’s fine..though it still has quite a ways to go before reaching SF levels (if it ever does).
Actually, it isn't fine, but, unsurprisingly, this isn't a topic that most people have any compassion towards, so we'll leave it at that...

Old 04-25-2020, 04:15 PM

Where are you getting your stats from showing Miami has the most rapid decline of Blacks in the country???.

while Broward is booming in terms of Black population, Miami has barely budged (see below)..curious if you have something that runs contrary to the data in this article. The non black increase in population in Miami has increased faster than the Black population increase (2%), which is why it is declining overall—not because there is a Black exodus. It is also becoming less affordable/more expensive, which is why others are moving further north, though I would not necessarily say they are being pushed out—more like some are being priced out. The Black population in Miami did increase last decade, just at a slower rate than others. Thanks.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/br...ged/ar-AADlCtI

Quote:
Originally Posted by murksiderock View Post
Actually, it isn't fine, but, unsurprisingly, this isn't a topic that most people have any compassion towards, so we'll leave it at that...

Last edited by elchevere; 04-25-2020 at 04:31 PM..

Old 04-25-2020, 04:29 PM

Quote:
Where are you getting your stats from?...while Broward is booming in terms of Black population, Miami has barely budged (see below)..curious if you have something that runs contrary to the data in this article. The non black increase in population in Miami has increased faster than the Black population increase (2%), which is why it is declining overall—not because there is a Black exodus. It is also becoming less affordable/more expensive, which is why others are moving further north, though I would not necessarily say they are being pushed out—more like some are being priced out. Thanks.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/br...ged/ar-AADlCtI
You're talking about counties when I specifically mentioned the city of Miami and where I sourced the information from in my previous post....I know that MSA Miami's black population is growing but that isn't what I was talking about...

Old 04-25-2020, 05:39 PM

Thanks for clarifying...urban living is your preference. Black population growth is occurring elsewhere. Got it—better options in other cities for Black urban living.

Last edited by elchevere; 04-25-2020 at 06:11 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City