Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which is closer to Chicago?
Boston 71 23.20%
New York 145 47.39%
Right in the middle 90 29.41%
Voters: 306. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2020, 07:26 PM

14,012 posts, read 14,998,668 times

Advertisements

In terms of

1) Urban Footprint

2) Cultural influence

3) Arts

4)Economic influence

And please by metro area. I know their CSA’s have a clear winner but Providence isn’t Boston, Laconia isn’t Boston. And while pretty much irrelevant to NYC’s overall size, New Haven isn’t New York.

Old 04-24-2020, 08:20 PM

12,157 posts, read 7,985,265 times
1. Urban Footprint: New York
2. Cultural Influence: erhh Boston maybe.
3. Arts: Boston
4. Economic Influence: Chicago is probably closer to Boston here.

NY is #1, Chicago is #3-4, Boston is #5-6, and there is a big drop between 1 and 2 on most influential cities. So Chicago is definitely closer to Boston than NYC. I think every city outside LA is closer to Boston over NYC in influence.

Old 04-24-2020, 08:40 PM

330 posts, read 293,449 times
Neither of these. I think Chicago rather is very similar to Toronto. Both are surrounded by the lake, both are financial centers of a particular region and both exert strong “regional” influence to the economy of North America.

No. No city is similar to or even close to the influence or depth of NYC. New York City is the center of the universe. She is really one of a kind city, the best of the best in absolutely every field.

Old 04-24-2020, 08:45 PM

12,157 posts, read 7,985,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnobbishDude View Post
Neither of these. I think Chicago rather is very similar to Toronto. Both are surrounded by the lake, both are financial centers of a particular region, both exert strong regional influence in North America.

No. No city is similar to or even close to the influence or depth of NYC. New York City is really one of a kind city, the best of the best in absolutely every field.
I dont think Toronto was what he was asking. I think he was asking NYC vs Boston, since I hear alot Chicago is like the child of NYC and Boston. I mean its about midway in size, its clean like Boston, architecturally significant like NYC, Skyscrapers like Manhattan, gridded like NYC, but then just not to the extremes of NYC in some things like Financial services and economics.

And NYC isnt top in Biotech, Bioengineering, Life Sciences, Aviation, Physical Sciences/Research, Medical Research, Medical Technology and Biochemistry fields. Most of those go to SF or Boston.

Old 04-24-2020, 09:26 PM

1,393 posts, read 859,138 times
Closer to Boston
Urban footprint
Chicago msa 9.5 mill
Boston msa 4.9 moll
Nyc msa 18 mill

Cultural influence
Nyc>>>>>>>>>>>>> Chicago>>Boston

Arts - very debatable for all three depending on area

Economic influence
Nyc>>>>>>>>>Chicago>>>Boston

Old 04-25-2020, 08:55 AM

5,016 posts, read 3,911,008 times
My three favorite US cities. Excellent stuff.

Not sure I have an answer to this, but I do often see parallels between Boston and Chicago neighborhoods. "Quaint" neighborhoods that surround downtown, and a clear delineation between residential neighborhood and commercial areas. I feel like Gold Coast and Back Bay, for example, have for more in common than Greenwich/West Village.

Contrary to that, Chicago's downtown/loop feels way more like Midtown Manhattan than Boston's core.

As far as the criteria:

Cultural influence
NYC>Chicago>Boston

Arts
NYC>Chicago>Boston

Economic influence
NYC>Chicago>Boston

Pretty straightforward. Taking scale into consideration, Chicago is closer to Boston than NYC. No debate there.

Old 04-25-2020, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ne999 View Post
Closer to Boston
Urban footprint
Chicago msa 9.5 mill
Boston msa 4.9 moll
Nyc msa 18 mill

Cultural influence
Nyc>>>>>>>>>>>>> Chicago>>Boston

Arts - very debatable for all three depending on area

Economic influence
Nyc>>>>>>>>>Chicago>>>Boston
In terms of how a city feels I think it’s more on the % basis than absolute difference. Probably because area is a quadratic on relation to radius.

Like Cleveland has 850,000 people more than Buffalo and feels much larger. The Boston/Houston/DC/Dallas tier has a much larger absolute population difference but all feel about the same size because on a % basis they are all like within 25% of each other.

So I think Chicago being double the size of Boston and half the size of New York places it kind of in the middle.

But since Boston has the Merrimack Valley (and other large mill town) which has significant cities separated by basis calmly the forest from central Boston I think it’s central core urban expanse feels a bit further from Chicago’s than Chicago’s does of New York.

Plus Chicago’s core ~30 sq miles feels like a grand city. Newbury Street is quaint while Michigan Ave is Grand. The Boston Common is quaint. Grant Park feels Grand. I feel like in no point does Boston really feel like a massive world city, while Chicago does in places.

The only place where this isn’t true is the T vs the L. The T feels as if not more crowded than the L.

Old 04-25-2020, 10:56 AM

8,856 posts, read 6,848,510 times
Agreed on percent vs. absolute.

A city's importance and influence might track its CSA more than UA or MSA. CSA is more relevant to workforce, corporate locations, sports teams, media market, and so on. A city's brand can be influenced by its whole region, even while the urban core (3 square miles or 300) gets the most attention. On the flip side, the strength of satellite attention-getters is a factor, with Boston's CSA satellites including largely independent cities that simply share workforces.

From the CSA perspective, it's something like (iirc) 22, 10, 8. That suggests Chicago is more like Boston. If you adjust for major competing cores, it might really work more like 20, 9, 6 (wild guess).

That's probably close to the cities' respective influence. We probably give Chicago too much credit because of its huge downtown concentration. I'm talking more economically than culturally.

Old 04-25-2020, 10:58 AM

1,393 posts, read 859,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by btownboss4 View Post
In terms of how a city feels I think it’s more on the % basis than absolute difference. Probably because area is a quadratic on relation to radius.

Like Cleveland has 850,000 people more than Buffalo and feels much larger. The Boston/Houston/DC/Dallas tier has a much larger absolute population difference but all feel about the same size because on a % basis they are all like within 25% of each other.

So I think Chicago being double the size of Boston and half the size of New York places it kind of in the middle.

But since Boston has the Merrimack Valley (and other large mill town) which has significant cities separated by basis calmly the forest from central Boston I think it’s central core urban expanse feels a bit further from Chicago’s than Chicago’s does of New York.

Plus Chicago’s core ~30 sq miles feels like a grand city. Newbury Street is quaint while Michigan Ave is Grand. The Boston Common is quaint. Grant Park feels Grand. I feel like in no point does Boston really feel like a massive world city, while Chicago does in places.

The only place where this isn’t true is the T vs the L. The T feels as if not more crowded than the L.
You’re speaking more about a feel created because of tall buildings...based on the criteria how iis Chicago closer to nyc than Boston on culture, art and economy? Would love to hear it

Old 04-25-2020, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ne999 View Post
You’re speaking more about a feel created because of tall buildings...based on the criteria how iis Chicago closer to nyc than Boston on culture, art and economy? Would love to hear it
On the Economy is unquestionably Boston.

In terms of arts/culture, Chicago is seen as generic big city for the Midwest kind of setting. For a show to be set in Boston, DC or Miami for example the show has to be about those cities. Something like Mike and Molly or Chicago Med is just a random TV show which Chicago as a backdrop. Compared to Cheers which is about Boston Same thing with Mean Girls vs Good Will Hunting. Chicago got a 3.5 year long run of Wicked while basically every other city gets touring productions it’s not uncommon for their to be a Chicago company. So I think it those ways it’s closer to NYC than Boston. (Not to say Chicago and NYC don’t have shows about them)

In terms of high culture Boston and Chicago are close. Same with sports all the cities have basically top tier teams in recognizability

So it’s pretty close.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.