Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which is closer to Chicago?
Boston 71 23.20%
New York 145 47.39%
Right in the middle 90 29.41%
Voters: 306. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2020, 05:57 PM

8,851 posts, read 5,862,731 times

Advertisements

Overall, I'd go with Boston. New York just has a density and feel that is several octaves above Chicago and it is very noticeable. On a scale level, as far as urban cities go, Chicago feels very much like Philly and Boston. It may be physically larger, but in terms of scale, anyone who has spent time in the 3 knows that they feel similar at neighborhood and downtown levels. It is palpable how much bigger and more dense Nee York feels than Chicago and Boston. That is why I say overall it feels closer to Boston.

The Loop is one part of the city of Chicago that looks very much like Manhattan. There is the most hustle and bustle in the city in the Loop as well, so that is one part of Chicago that really does have a New York feel to me, but it is still a lot less dense and crowded than New York (although it is fair to make a comparison in look and feel). Overall though, I think Chicago is closer to Boston in stature.

Old 04-26-2020, 07:44 AM

14,019 posts, read 15,001,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PerseusVeil View Post
I think what you're getting at in regards to the generic big city thing started in the 80s with John Hughes setting so many of his movies in Chicago and its suburbs, even if didn't really impact the story in every movie. Mean Girls falls into that same category because it was more so Tina Fey giving nods to Chicago due to her time with Second City.

Shows like The Good Wife/The Good Fight and Shameless need Chicago for their storytelling though, even if they only do outdoor shots in Chicago. I'd agree with you in regards to Chicago Med, although I'm not as familiar with it, but I would argue that it only became a thing due to the success of Chicago PD, and that needed to be in Chicago.

In terms of theatre, this is actually an interesting subject. It's not uncommon for shows to open in Chicago before making their Broadway debuts. This has included shows like The Producers, Spamalot, On Your Feet, Kinky Boots, The Cher Show, etc. Wicked also wasn't the most famous show to camp out in Chicago for a period of time. That honor would go to Hamilton. There was at least a year where the only two places you could see Hamilton in the country was NYC and Chicago. The show ran at the CIBC Theatre in downtown Chicago for 171 weeks, and it actually pulled in more money in that time period than the ongoing Broadway run in NYC due to the size of the CIBC theatre.
I wasn’t so much saying Chicago doesn’t have Chicago based stories but in addition to those it also has loads of media set there for no reason. Just like Friends could be plopped into LA with no impact on the “story”, Family Matters could be moved anywhere (technically not true because it’s a spinoff of Perfect strangers). Shameless with the L, Climate, Boystown and Northside/Southsidde divide playing important parts to the story can’t be placed just anywhere.

Most cities only have something set there if there is a reason. Or only have the occasional story there.

The fact Chicago is one of the 3 or 4 default settings (along with nameless/fake middle American Town) makes it different

Old 04-26-2020, 08:57 AM

2,814 posts, read 2,280,800 times
1) Urban Footprint- I'm torn between choosing "in the middle" or "closer to Boston." Chicago has a grand, big city feel that is exceeded only by NYC. But, NYC really is in a league of its own. It's far larger and far denser than Chicago. Boston can feel pretty small. It's core is lively, but doesn't really give off a Loop or even SF/Philly center city big city feel. Allston/Somerville/Camebridge isn't as consistently urban as Lakeview/LincolnPark/WickerPark. But all in all, Boston is far closer on density and the gap in city population far closer than the 2.6 vs 680k.

2) Cultural influence/Arts/Economic influence- Chicago is ahead of Boston in finance, corporate HQs, theater/arts, but Boston is a stronger in R&D/VC innovation type activities. Plus, it has the Harvard/MIT/Hospitals. Overall, Chicago is probably ahead on these categories. But, I would say if NYC is a 10 on these topics, Chicago is a 7 and Boston is a 5.5.

Old 04-26-2020, 08:57 AM

12,822 posts, read 9,541,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueRedTide View Post
Lol at Boston being a Pretender to "Chicago's Perch". I pretty much agree with this post except that part.

In the next 2-3 decades Only Texas (City Proper and Metros) Phoenix (City Proper) or DC/Baltimore (metro) can challenge Chicago's Third Place position
I’m gonna give all Texans a virtual high five when BOTH Houston and Dallas pass Chicago. Gonna have some drinks and celebrate

Old 04-26-2020, 10:05 AM

6,725 posts, read 6,718,975 times
MSA Annualized Wages:

NYC $686B
Chicago $277B
Boston $207B

Economically, agree with others, much closer to Boston.

Old 04-26-2020, 10:34 AM

1,393 posts, read 859,138 times
What does right in the middle even mean except I don’t feel like answering the question? In the middle of what

Old 04-26-2020, 10:51 AM

3,733 posts, read 2,885,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylord_Focker View Post
I’m gonna give all Texans a virtual high five when BOTH Houston and Dallas pass Chicago. Gonna have some drinks and celebrate
Houston and Dallas will have to add more square miles, so they can catch Chicago. Houston has 600 sq miles, compared to Chicago's 228. Dallas has 341. Once they can add the amount of square miles it will take to bypass Chicago (doesn't matter if it takes the entire state of Texas), gosh darn, I'm sure there will be quite the celebration!

Old 04-26-2020, 12:04 PM

451 posts, read 364,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enean View Post
Houston and Dallas will have to add more square miles, so they can catch Chicago. Houston has 600 sq miles, compared to Chicago's 228. Dallas has 341. Once they can add the amount of square miles it will take to bypass Chicago (doesn't matter if it takes the entire state of Texas), gosh darn, I'm sure there will be quite the celebration!
Those cities core have densified a lot in the last couple of decades and they will continue to do so. They'll never be Chicago dense, but the idea that they'll have to keep growing outward as as they have to maintain growth is inaccurate

Old 04-26-2020, 12:43 PM

3,733 posts, read 2,885,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FalstaffBlues View Post
Those cities core have densified a lot in the last couple of decades and they will continue to do so. They'll never be Chicago dense, but the idea that they'll have to keep growing outward as as they have to maintain growth is inaccurate
Dallas and Houston are both at 4,000 people psm, and Chicago is at 12,000 psm. A huge difference.

Old 04-26-2020, 05:35 PM

4,069 posts, read 7,313,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by masssachoicetts View Post
I hear alot Chicago is like the child of NYC and Boston.
I've heard it said that Chicago is like the child of NYC and Detroit. I like to say that Chicago is what would result if NYC and Cleveland got together and had a kid.

As far as neighborhood architecture goes, Chicago three-flats can be very reminiscent of Boston's triple deckers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City