Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which is closer to Chicago?
Boston 71 23.20%
New York 145 47.39%
Right in the middle 90 29.41%
Voters: 306. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2020, 09:03 PM

3,733 posts, read 2,885,098 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ne999 View Post
Nice argument - 9.1 milllion people live where people live...So what’s in the other 75% of the land area water? Is it mountains? Desert? Is it uninhabitable? Probably a good amount of farmland which is integral to society..doesn’t mean you can just get rid of it...The urban areas in Boston’s csa cover 3600 square miles (dominant urban areas of Boston, worcester and providence)...that’s 8.2 million in 3600 square miles if you get rid of forests and trees... Nyc is a different animal..it has nearly Chicago’s msa in its 300 sq miles city border..its msa is 20 million....Chicago is very far from nyc in all things urban...I admit Boston is much smaller than Chicago and Chicago’s metro maintains higher population densities connected for longer distances than Boston ..it’s harder for just a few from Chicago to admit chicago is so much smaller compared to ny
I know no one from Chicago, and I lived there, who thinks Chicago is the size of New York...no one. I do know, that everyone knows it's bigger than Boston, though.

Old 04-27-2020, 09:12 PM

1,393 posts, read 859,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enean View Post
I know no one from Chicago, and I lived there, who thinks Chicago is the size of New York...no one. I do know, that everyone knows it's bigger than Boston, though.
You just made two factual statements that everyone does agree with ..a few just clearly don’t realize how far it is from standpoint of economy and urban footprint compared to New York

Old 04-27-2020, 09:44 PM

3,733 posts, read 2,885,098 times
Quote:
You just made two factual statements that everyone does agree with ..a few just clearly don’t realize how far it is from standpoint of economy and urban footprint compared to New York
No need to put Chicago down, because you know a handful of people (I guess), who think it's on the level of NYC. I guess you believe that handful speaks for the millions in the Chicago area??? You sure are painting with a broad brush, but clearly, that's what you want to believe, so have at it!

Old 04-28-2020, 07:36 AM

14,019 posts, read 14,998,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
I still think it's closer to Boston here. Chicago serves as the setting for more shows than probably every city that's not NYC or LA, but it's similar to the rest of the cities in America in that it lacks a daily studio show that draws millions of eyeballs on a nightly basis. NYC has NBC Nightly News, the Today Show, Trevor Noah, Seth Meyers, SNL, etc. LA has NBC Nightly News (sometimes), Ellen, Kimmel, Corden, etc. The only other city that has this constant media presence is DC with NBC Nightly News (sometimes) and the Sunday morning shows like Meet the Press. Chicago had Oprah, but that's been off the air for nearly a decade now.

So while it's true you're more likely to see Chicago than Boston in a TV show, neither has an entrenched media presence like NYC, LA and to a far lesser extent, DC. I can't ever recall being in an airport or some public place with TVs and hearing "This is Lester Holt from our studios in Chicago" or "This is Katie Couric reporting from our studios in Boston." IMO this lack of media stature makes Chicago a lot more similar to Boston in terms of media influence.
For some reason like the entire country gets WGN Chicago. That’s why the Cubs are so popular.

I could watch Chicago local news if I wanted to and I live nowhere near Chicago.

Old 04-28-2020, 08:15 AM

1,393 posts, read 859,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enean View Post
No need to put Chicago down, because you know a handful of people (I guess), who think it's on the level of NYC. I guess you believe that handful speaks for the millions in the Chicago area??? You sure are painting with a broad brush, but clearly, that's what you want to believe, so have at it!
This is a forum to discuss cities and debate...how am I putting Chicago down by stating facts..I’m debating with people (there are 29 at this time) who claim Chicago is closer in the criteria listed to the USA premier city (nyc) than it is to Boston which is somewhere behind Chicago in the next grouping of cities in these categories...I’ve objectively stated why the gap between nyc and Chicago is greater than the gap between Chicago and that next tier of cities (which is the question posed)...I’ve yet to hear a cohesive argument otherwise

Old 04-28-2020, 09:01 AM

1,013 posts, read 910,786 times
Quote:
This is a forum to discuss cities and debate...how am I putting Chicago down by stating facts..I’m debating with people (there are 29 at this time) who claim Chicago is closer in the criteria listed to the USA premier city (nyc) than it is to Boston which is somewhere behind Chicago in the next grouping of cities in these categories...I’ve objectively stated why the gap between nyc and Chicago is greater than the gap between Chicago and that next tier of cities (which is the question posed)...I’ve yet to hear a cohesive argument otherwise

Agreed...if you bought a car and someone you don’t know said it sucked would you care? I wouldn’t, you shouldn’t either.

Old 04-28-2020, 09:08 AM

5,016 posts, read 3,911,008 times
Quote:
Enean should be notorious for this response.

I once mentioned the merger of schools in Chicago's south and west sides, and how that has incited new violence in those neighborhoods.. And Enean said something along the lines of "now that you have exposed your true colors, I will no longer take anything you say seriously."

I don't really get it.

Old 04-28-2020, 09:35 AM

21,628 posts, read 12,727,444 times
Obviously Boston..

NYC is in another league it’s own and only LA comes kinda close in the US..

Old 04-28-2020, 11:34 AM

32,087 posts, read 34,686,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by btownboss4 View Post
For some reason like the entire country gets WGN Chicago. That’s why the Cubs are so popular.

I could watch Chicago local news if I wanted to and I live nowhere near Chicago.
That's true. Though I would put WGN in the same category with maybe TBS and definitely below CNN (during its ATL days).

As far as "stature" goes, I don't think anything really commands as much respect as having one of the Big Three (ABC, CBS, NBC) bureaus. I'd probably add the BBC as well. Interestingly enough, Boston *does* have a BBC bureau while Chicago doesn't. NYC, LA and DC are the only other U.S. cities with BBC foreign news bureaus.

NBC's major bureaus are in NYC, LA, DC and London with minor bureaus in Atlanta, Boston, Chicago, Dallas, Denver, Houston, Miami, Philly, San Diego and San Francisco. CBS is headquartered in NYC with the rest of its bureaus more or less being equals (with perhaps DC being first among those equals). ABC has done away with physical news desks for the most part (outside of NYC) but it has correspondents based out of Los Angeles and DC.

A city like DC doesn't have much in the way of sitcoms, telenovelas and game shows going for it, but it has something that's arguably more important IMO: daily images of the city in the closing credits of the nightly news.

Old 04-28-2020, 11:36 AM

32,087 posts, read 34,686,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
A city like DC doesn't have much in the way of sitcoms, telenovelas and game shows going for it, but it has something that's arguably more important IMO: daily images of the city in the closing credits of the nightly news.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EmNSJjKjxk8
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City