Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which is closer to Chicago?
Boston 71 23.20%
New York 145 47.39%
Right in the middle 90 29.41%
Voters: 306. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2023, 09:53 PM

4,211 posts, read 3,292,165 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Easy View Post
Beverly Hills will actually have two D line subway stations on what will likely be the highest ridership per mile subway line in the US outside NYC.
Yeah I forgot about La Cienega, you've got the Saban right there among other stuff.

I was in Chicago last week and was pretty blown away by the L (had to run up and down cars to find a car entry during rush hour, then lucky to find strap to grab), but I think the average normie would be pretty surprised at how close LA is in core transit coverage and general core foot traffic to Chicago right now.

Old 10-30-2023, 10:06 PM

9,169 posts, read 13,242,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
How popular of an argument did you think Cambridge/Somerville shouldn't count as Boston while Evanston should count as Chicago in this context?

I am impressed you were around people that were so monolithic in thought.
I don't know about Cambridge but Somerville used to be part of Charlestown. She broke away from Charlestown about 30 years before Charlestown was annexed by Boston.

So, I see no problem with including Somerville as part of Boston for discussion, as she easily could have been part of Boston historically and especially since I believe Somerville does have a denser population than Boston itself.

Old 10-30-2023, 10:11 PM

37,127 posts, read 39,371,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LINative View Post
I don't know about Cambridge but Somerville used to be part of Charlestown. She broke away from Charlestown about 30 years before Charlestown was annexed by Boston.

So, I see no problem with including Somerville as part of Boston for discussion, as she easily could have been part of Boston historically and especially since I believe Somerville does have a denser population than Boston itself.
Yea, I don't see a problem either nor with the idea that Northwestern is a Chicago school.

I was just wondering why that was said in response to me since I don't understand how he got the impression that the blanket statement of Chicagoans have problems with Cambridge-Somerville being considered in a comparison against Boston (more likely than anything, taking a random Chicagoan means they probably won't know much of anything about Cambridge and Somerville or how they relate to Boston), so the connection seemed pretty tenuous.

Old 10-31-2023, 12:42 AM

21,628 posts, read 12,733,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Losfrisco View Post
Boston is more than three times as expensive as Philadelphia (also a much bigger city) and more than twice as expensive as Chicago. Sounds like a gated community to me.
You’re still ignoring the higher poverty rate, higher immigration rate in Boston versus Chicago.

It’s not a gated community- in fact it takes huge number of migrants and drug addicts from all over New England.

Again this is where resentment of Boston’s ability to be orderly and low crime takes shape. People want to say it’s because of favorable demography when that just not the case. Would you call DC Seattle or SF- all wealthier cities - gated communities? No probably because they’re dysfunction is on front street and I guess for some people that’s a badge of honor…

Fact if the matter is Boston is a sanctuary city in a right to shelter state that doesn’t have to produce 300 homicides a year to be a “real city” lol

Not a gated community just a place where people work hard and manage to afford living there someway somehow because they’re diligent, studious, hardworking people from around the world by and large.

Old 10-31-2023, 05:00 AM

1,393 posts, read 859,409 times
Quote:
Boston is more than three times as expensive as Philadelphia (also a much bigger city) and more than twice as expensive as Chicago. Sounds like a gated community to me.
Philadelphia is a MUCH bigger city on paper
Not on the ground in reality
Boston city transit approximately covers 1.3 mill people in around 110-120 square miles
All of it covered well by transit
The boundaries are for historical reasons
You should go to Boston stay downtown and take the subway 2 stops to Cambridge and somerville that are equally urban areas
Boston city is 14 percent of the metro population
Both Philly and San Diego for that matter are 25 to 30 percent or more of the metro
You could say San Diego is a Much larger city as well and that would also be incorrect

Look at the map yourself

https://cdn.mbta.com/sites/default/f...y-map-v37f.pdf

The green line goes into urban northern brookline before returning back to Boston in brighton
It also goes to Somerville and Newton
The red, green and orange lines hit somerville
The red and green hit Cambridge
The red goes down to Quincy and even Braintree
The blue line goes up to revere
The silver line hits chelsea

The red line and green line coverage is basically 50% not in Boston
The orange and blue lines are about 25% not in Boston

Last edited by Ne999; 10-31-2023 at 06:13 AM..

Old 10-31-2023, 05:11 AM

12,159 posts, read 7,989,874 times
Quote:
Then what is NYC to you? Lol. Its even more expensive than Boston! Or CA!

Old 10-31-2023, 07:03 AM

Location: That star on your map in the middle of the East Coast, DMV
8,128 posts, read 7,558,075 times
Quote:
Chicago is somewhat of an island, with no obvious peers. It's not what it once was, but it just seems too big in both size and image to lump into a lower peer group. So I'll apply what I call the "Average Joe" test of big cities.

If Average Joe from Anytown, USA felt out of options, down to his last move, and was going to withdraw the $1100 dollars he has to his name and buy a bus ticket to a city to try and make it on a wing and prayer, would it make more sense to choose A) Boston, or B) Chicago?

Obviously this is just a way to measure economic diversity, but the Average Joe test, IMO, is what separates the truly big cities from the rest of the pack, and IMO, there are only three cities that pass this test today.
Chicago's peers are Washington DC and San Francisco. Boston's a top 6 in US city by quality, image etc., but overall runs a bit behind those three on the next tier with Houston, and probably of ahead of it on that tier.

Old 10-31-2023, 07:31 AM

37,127 posts, read 39,371,920 times
Why do you bother responding to Losfrisco? Just put him on ignore.

Old 10-31-2023, 01:03 PM

4,211 posts, read 3,292,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
You’re still ignoring the higher poverty rate, higher immigration rate in Boston versus Chicago.

It’s not a gated community- in fact it takes huge number of migrants and drug addicts from all over New England.

Again this is where resentment of Boston’s ability to be orderly and low crime takes shape. People want to say it’s because of favorable demography when that just not the case. Would you call DC Seattle or SF- all wealthier cities - gated communities? No probably because they’re dysfunction is on front street and I guess for some people that’s a badge of honor…

Fact if the matter is Boston is a sanctuary city in a right to shelter state that doesn’t have to produce 300 homicides a year to be a “real city” lol

Not a gated community just a place where people work hard and manage to afford living there someway somehow because they’re diligent, studious, hardworking people from around the world by and large.
I didn't invoke crime or general urban blight, simply which city would be more appealing for the unconnected. I believe its Chicago. San Diego gets tagged with the same "not a real city because conservative" nonsense as well.

I would %100 call San Francisco a gated community, Seattle doesn't seem to be too far off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ne999 View Post
Philadelphia is a MUCH bigger city on paper
Not on the ground in reality
Boston city transit approximately covers 1.3 mill people in around 110-120 square miles
All of it covered well by transit
The boundaries are for historical reasons
You should go to Boston stay downtown and take the subway 2 stops to Cambridge and somerville that are equally urban areas
Boston city is 14 percent of the metro population
Both Philly and San Diego for that matter are 25 to 30 percent or more of the metro
You could say San Diego is a Much larger city as well and that would also be incorrect

Look at the map yourself

https://cdn.mbta.com/sites/default/f...y-map-v37f.pdf

The green line goes into urban northern brookline before returning back to Boston in brighton
It also goes to Somerville and Newton
The red, green and orange lines hit somerville
The red and green hit Cambridge
The red goes down to Quincy and even Braintree
The blue line goes up to revere
The silver line hits chelsea

The red line and green line coverage is basically 50% not in Boston
The orange and blue lines are about 25% not in Boston
Don't think I'll be able to do this after looking up average Boston hotel prices. Philadelphia looks like a maybe though!

Quote:
Originally Posted by masssachoicetts View Post
Then what is NYC to you? Lol. Its even more expensive than Boston! Or CA!
I was using median home price, I've heard NYC is a pretty big city. Probably plenty of inventory below that median.

Quote:
Originally Posted by the resident09 View Post
Chicago's peers are Washington DC and San Francisco. Boston's a top 6 in US city by quality, image etc., but overall runs a bit behind those three on the next tier with Houston, and probably of ahead of it on that tier.
Have to agree to disagree that Chicago is a peer to cities that its 3X the size of.

SF and Boston seem to be obvious peers, but that is a minority opinion on here.

Old 10-31-2023, 05:09 PM

Location: That star on your map in the middle of the East Coast, DMV
8,128 posts, read 7,558,075 times
Quote:
Have to agree to disagree that Chicago is a peer to cities that its 3X the size of.

SF and Boston seem to be obvious peers, but that is a minority opinion on here.
Did you read the OP? That's what is being compared.

Quote:
Originally Posted by btownboss4 View Post
In terms of

1) Urban Footprint

2) Cultural influence

3) Arts

4)Economic influence

And please by metro area.
Chicago is not 3 times the stature of DC, SF or Boston based on the above, and definitely not as a metro area. Maybe it used to be, but not now. DC has 2 million people inside the 495 beltway at 255 sq mi. Chicago is more urban still and more populated but it's 2.7 million people in about 230 sq mi. That's not 3x's in stature. The SF MSA GDP is knocking on the door of Chicago MSA's economy with 4 million less people. Just trying to confine the others to their limited city proper boundaries and compare them is impossible and not practical. Because SF, DC, Boston each have expanded influence or boundaries outside of their city proper. I think the gap from Chicago down to the others is widest with Boston.

Last edited by the resident09; 10-31-2023 at 05:25 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City