Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which is closer to Chicago?
Boston 71 23.20%
New York 145 47.39%
Right in the middle 90 29.41%
Voters: 306. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2023, 06:55 PM

4,211 posts, read 3,289,519 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ne999 View Post
The world fair?
Well if you’re going that far back
How about the American revolution ?
The World's Fair was an extremely competitive and sought after civic event that was awarded to a single city, in case anyone didn't know that and thought there was analogy that could be made with the American revolution.

12,159 posts, read 7,989,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Losfrisco View Post
Airport passenger boardings-

ORD+MDW: nearly 43 million 2022 passengers

LGA+JFK: about 41 million 2022 passengers

BOS: about 17 million 2022 passengers.

Yes, I left out EWR. Chicago is still closer to NYC even if added.
filter by O/D. Boston is the only airport out of the 5 without being a large connecting hub.

6,806 posts, read 6,031,870 times
Quote:
By this metric, Chicago and New York are both below Atlanta in stature.

And Denver isn’t far behind…

Old 11-01-2023, 07:25 PM

1,393 posts, read 859,409 times
Quote:
I"ve seen Sebastian a couple times at the Comedy Store, he's great.

However, listing people who became famous elsewhere that happen to be from a place isn't really helping either city, one might say its making them look smaller. "Did you know so and so is actually from...." is typically the domain of small towns.

Harvard is obviously a famous institution, but naming every famous person who went there is, IMO, barrel scraping because prestigious universities also exist in small towns.

The reason why a comedy scene is different is because a comedian needs a large array of sizeable venues that operate seven days a week if there's any hope of making progress outside of the local good old boy system of mic time allotment.

Only really, really big cities can sustain that kind of environment.
The worlds top 100 cities and a scoring system to measure the city’s global brand
Basically proof of what I said before that internationally people look at chicago and Boston equally

https://static.brandirectory.com/rep...2023-final.pdf

Nyc 83 points and number 2 overall
Chicago 72 points and number 15 overall
Boston 71 points and number 20 overall

Dc, Philly and some others were not included

Old 11-01-2023, 07:29 PM

5,016 posts, read 3,912,172 times
Quote:
Airport passenger boardings-

ORD+MDW: nearly 43 million 2022 passengers

LGA+JFK: about 41 million 2022 passengers

BOS: about 17 million 2022 passengers.

Really?

So the answer to the original question you were responding to is no. Because airport passenger boardings, for an Airline hub located in the middle of the Country, doesn’t provide of lick of value and I’m sure you realize that.

Old 11-01-2023, 07:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ne999 View Post
The worlds top 100 cities and a scoring system to measure the city’s global brand
Basically proof of what I said before that internationally people look at chicago and Boston equally

https://static.brandirectory.com/rep...2023-final.pdf

Nyc 83 points and number 2 overall
Chicago 72 points and number 15 overall
Boston 71 points and number 20 overall

Dc, Philly and some others were not included
I mean this is objectively true.

I’ll play the anecdotal, “I’m from both” card (again) and say that the reactions I get for both outside of North America is similar. As in, people know what these cities are. Chicagos violent reputation permeated internationally years ago. So that’s something people are often aware of. Boston is on the East Coast, and is the nearest city to Europe.

My sense is that Boston probably has a better reputation in parts of Western Europe. I’d bet that Chicago has a better reputation in Eastern Europe. The rest of the world is probably, it’s probably splitting hairs.

Old 11-01-2023, 07:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwj119 View Post
Really?

So the answer to the original question you were responding to is no. Because airport passenger boardings, for an Airline hub located in the middle of the Country, doesn’t provide of lick of value and I’m sure you realize that.
No I don't realize that, especially when taking into account international flights and the fact that Chicago isn't in the middle of the country.

LAX (not in the middle of the country) is nearly even with ORD.

Some other airports that don't have this supposed "middle of the country" trump card that beat BOS are SEA, PHX, MIA, CLT, MCO, LAS, SFO.

Old 11-01-2023, 08:05 PM

Quote:
No I don't realize that, especially when taking into account international flights and the fact that Chicago isn't in the middle of the country.

LAX (not in the middle of the country) is nearly even with ORD.

Some other airports that don't have this supposed "middle of the country" trump card that beat BOS are SEA, PHX, MIA, CLT, MCO, LAS, SFO.
Denver gets more passengers than JFK. So I think Denver is actually more similar to NY than it is to Boston.

Charlotte gets more passengers than San Francisco. So I think Charlotte is more like Chicago than it is San Francisco.

Old 11-01-2023, 09:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boston Shudra View Post
By this metric, Chicago and New York are both below Atlanta in stature.

And Denver isn’t far behind…
Top cities have the top airports, location is usually irrelevant. Are there other top airports in middling cities that are there because of the confluence of several factors? Yes, but the top cities will always have airports at or near the top of the pack.

Boston's airport places it with its peer group-San Francisco, Minneapolis, etc. It's never been in the NYC/LA/Chicago airport peer group.

Old 11-01-2023, 09:39 PM

Quote:
Top cities have the top airports, location is usually irrelevant. Are there other top airports in middling cities that are there because of the confluence of several factors? Yes, but the top cities will always have airports at or near the top of the pack.

Boston's airport places it with its peer group-San Francisco, Minneapolis, etc. It's never been in the NYC/LA/Chicago airport peer group.
Well if we were ranking airport peer groups, I suppose this would be relevant.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City