Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which is closer to Chicago?
Boston 71 23.20%
New York 145 47.39%
Right in the middle 90 29.41%
Voters: 306. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2023, 01:51 PM

14,155 posts, read 9,047,788 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LINative View Post
Not to drive you crazy but if you are talking about I Love New York, New York State did not appropriate the song or the symbol, it was invented by the NY State Dept of Commerce back in 1977 to represent the whole state.

I realize the confusion because it is used very often by tourists to represent the city but it actually is for the whole state.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/I_Love_New_York
Thanks for correcting my error! I just learned something. I think I did first hear the song in that year, on a New York City radio station.

Old 11-13-2023, 09:14 PM

4,211 posts, read 3,289,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by masssachoicetts View Post
Another cool bit.

Hainan Airlines is starting BOS - PEK again, for the first tome since 2020. This means Boston will have nonstop flights to China, but Chicago will not.

Service will start to PVG in later 2024.
As long as no one Googles "what is the most internationally connected airport in the United States", this is a solid point for Boston.

Old 11-14-2023, 05:01 AM

24,557 posts, read 18,239,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarketStEl View Post
To your larger point on this subject, that one company I mentioned is No. 154 on that Forbes list, and I spotted at least three companies based in the KC area that were ranked above it. Two were construction/engineering companies, and I doubt that anyone not from KC or not in that industry would know their names.

That probably goes for a lot of the non-consumer-goods companies based in Chicago, though another poster has already pointed out (publicly traded) McDonald's as a good example of what you were talking about. Back When, however, I suspect lots of people would have been able to tell you that Sears, Roebuck — "America's department store" — was based there, thanks mainly to its huge mail-order catalog, even before it put its name on what was then the world's tallest skyscraper. (Of course, Sears — since merged with Kmart Corporation — is now a hollowed-out shell of its former self.)

Perhaps worth noting here, however, is that Boston itself has some name recognition in the US as a capital of higher education — I have on occasion heard it referred to as "America's biggest college town."
I think the bigger point is that Boston is a knowledge economy. The economy is driven by intellectual property creation. The Bay Area is 10x bigger but Boston has a similar concentration of highly educated and high skilled workforce. It’s not drones in an office tower. Chicago has always had a bit of it. Bell Labs Indian Hill was there. A lot of tech companies spun out of that. So it’s not the “college town”. It’s the intellectual property economy an MIT or a Harvard creates. NYC also has a ton of it but it’s kind of lost because the place is so enormous.

I always equate Boston with Munich. World class in some very specific areas but not a giant like NYC or London. Chicago is more of a 2nd tier global city than a boutique city like Munich or Boston. In the context of this thread, more of a smaller NYC than a much bigger Boston.

Old 11-14-2023, 06:58 AM

12,159 posts, read 7,989,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Losfrisco View Post
As long as no one Googles "what is the most internationally connected airport in the United States", this is a solid point for Boston.
Yeah absolutely. It shows how strong the O/D market and resilience of the economy is in BOS, rather the second largest connecting airport (ORD).

Old 11-14-2023, 07:26 AM

14,155 posts, read 9,047,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
I think the bigger point is that Boston is a knowledge economy. The economy is driven by intellectual property creation. The Bay Area is 10x bigger but Boston has a similar concentration of highly educated and high skilled workforce. It’s not drones in an office tower. Chicago has always had a bit of it. Bell Labs Indian Hill was there. A lot of tech companies spun out of that. So it’s not the “college town”. It’s the intellectual property economy an MIT or a Harvard creates. NYC also has a ton of it but it’s kind of lost because the place is so enormous.

I always equate Boston with Munich. World class in some very specific areas but not a giant like NYC or London. Chicago is more of a 2nd tier global city than a boutique city like Munich or Boston. In the context of this thread, more of a smaller NYC than a much bigger Boston.
Which came first, the chicken or the egg?

I think I could make a case that the huge amount of intellectual property produced in Metropolitan Boston would not have been produced there had there not been this large constellation of colleges and universities that draw people like me from places like Kansas City. Many of us stay after we graduate and add to the intellectual capital stock. I didn't.

Old 11-14-2023, 08:18 AM

21,628 posts, read 12,733,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post

LMAO...

Seems closer to Boston per Global Power City Index: https://mori-m-foundation.or.jp/engl...i2/index.shtml NYC#2, Chicago #23, Boston #27

the City Index, the world most comprehensive research on City perception/brand. New York is #2 worldwide, Chicago is #15 and Boston is #20. Munich is #29

The Global and World Cities Research network: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Global...search_Network (New York is Alpha ++, Chicago is just Alpha, and Boston is Alpha -)

And by The Global Cities Index: https://www.schroders.com/en-gb/uk/i...-cities-index/ Boston #2, Chicago #14. Though this list is mostly based on future projections, growth, investment returns, and RE value.

Literally every single angle Chicago is closest to Boston. Not just on economy or population but on just about every other thing you can think of... We could go on for 100 pages worth of evidence.

Last edited by BostonBornMassMade; 11-14-2023 at 09:45 AM..

Old 11-14-2023, 09:04 AM

6,806 posts, read 6,031,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
Literally every single angle Chicago is closest to Boston. Not just on economy or population but on just about every other thing you can think of... We could go on for 100 pages worth of evidence.
You’re missing the most important factor: which city did kids see on tv more often in 1991.

Old 11-14-2023, 10:40 AM

4,211 posts, read 3,289,519 times
Was in Chicago three weeks ago.

Cloud Gate was fenced in for some kind of construction.

Tourists, many if not most apparently foreign, standing against fence trying to get phone angle to take pictures.

I'm a hypothetical foreign tourist in Boston.

What's the equivalent of that? Looking at Harvard?

Old 11-14-2023, 10:53 AM

12,159 posts, read 7,989,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Losfrisco View Post
Was in Chicago three weeks ago.

Cloud Gate was fenced in for some kind of construction.

Tourists, many if not most apparently foreign, standing against fence trying to get phone angle to take pictures.

I'm a hypothetical foreign tourist in Boston.

What's the equivalent of that? Looking at Harvard?
https://www.boston-discovery-guide.c...tractions.html
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...ions_in_Boston

This will help answer your questions on tourist attractions and draw the best eye for eye in Boston.

Old 11-14-2023, 11:00 AM

37,127 posts, read 39,357,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
LMAO...

Seems closer to Boston per Global Power City Index: https://mori-m-foundation.or.jp/engl...i2/index.shtml NYC#2, Chicago #23, Boston #27

the City Index, the world most comprehensive research on City perception/brand. New York is #2 worldwide, Chicago is #15 and Boston is #20. Munich is #29

The Global and World Cities Research network: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Global...search_Network (New York is Alpha ++, Chicago is just Alpha, and Boston is Alpha -)

And by The Global Cities Index: https://www.schroders.com/en-gb/uk/i...-cities-index/ Boston #2, Chicago #14. Though this list is mostly based on future projections, growth, investment returns, and RE value.

Yea, on these rankings, NYC stomps any other US city, and it's most apparent when they show a composite score rather than just an ordinal ranking. Like, you can hide it a bit in the rankings for example with the Mori foundation ranking where you can accurately say among US cities, NYC is number 1, Chicago is number 3, and Boston is number 5 which puts Chicago split in between NYC and Boston among US cities, but then if you look at the composite score next to it, you can see more than just the ordinal ranking but rather a more raw metrics one with NYC at 1506.4, second place LA at 1071.7, Chicago at 1044.2, San Francisco at 1035.1, and then Boston at 1026.3

Last edited by OyCrumbler; 11-14-2023 at 12:02 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City