Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which is closer to Chicago?
Boston 71 23.20%
New York 145 47.39%
Right in the middle 90 29.41%
Voters: 306. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2023, 12:58 PM

21,628 posts, read 12,727,444 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwj119 View Post
A lot more famous people from Chicago than from Boston? Not a lot more, but definitely more. But there’s be WAY more in NYC, given the amount of people, and how many celebrities and athletes move there and raise families. I don’t think anybody would argue otherwise.

But you are moving away from major names that are synonymous with the cities they are from, or lived and worked in. You just created a list of people who were born and raised in a city.

The original point of all of this way to say, Chicago at one point - from Oprah to MJ to John Hughes movies (Home Alone, Ferris Bueller, Breakfast Club, etc. etc.) to SNL characters to Da Bears to Playboy -was so nationally visible and present in a way only NYC and LA are. Dang, even the Cubs were nationally televised everywhere (the only team) at that point. Chicago was just a massive brand back then. And it’s not anywhere close to what it once was, sadly. I suppose it’s ebs and flows everywhere not named NYC.
Don’t see how you don’t see this though

the biggest podcast are in the world Joe Rogan talks about being from Boston extensively

Bill Burr one of Hollywood’s main guys right now. His whole thing is being from Boston

Who is Mark Wahlberg, Matt Damon and Ben Affleck produce tons of content for Boston all the time

you have the lead actor (Jeremy Strong AKA Kendall) on what might have been America’s most popular show succession having grown up in Jamaica Plain his entire life

you have a second lead actor on another hit show The Bear, Ayo Edebiri) having grown up in Dorchester throwing first pitches at Sox games

we just had an American music awards show two years ago, but had a battle of Boston extensive set.

This is to say nothing about our stature and prominence in professional sports…. Maybe the biggest arena for pop, culture and public consumption

^Chicago is way closer to this level than NYC today as Btownboss said why are we looking back to like 1980? Or 1974?

What advantages Chicago has over Boston (because it certainly DOES) NYC has a magnitude greater

Old 11-01-2023, 01:08 PM

5,017 posts, read 3,911,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
^Chicago is way closer to this level than NYC today as Btownboss said why are we looking back to like 1980? Or 1974?

What advantages Chicago has over Boston (because it certainly DOES) NYC has a magnitude greater
For the third time, reread the entire point of bringing this up.

Chicagos cultural and pop influence in the 80s and 90s is likely skewing the poll for the 35+ crowd. Because at that time, the city and its output was huge.

That’s it, that’s all.

Old 11-01-2023, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Don’t see how you don’t see this though

the biggest podcast are in the world Joe Rogan talks about being from Boston extensively

Bill Burr one of Hollywood’s main guys right now. His whole thing is being from Boston

Who is Mark Wahlberg, Matt Damon and Ben Affleck produce tons of content for Boston all the time

you have the lead actor (Jeremy Strong AKA Kendall) on what might have been America’s most popular show succession having grown up in Jamaica Plain his entire life

you have a second lead actor on another hit show The Bear, Ayo Edebiri) having grown up in Dorchester throwing first pitches at Sox games

we just had an American music awards show two years ago, but had a battle of Boston extensive set.
What don’t I see?

As for this list, people from Chicago or the vast majority of the country don’t know Jeremy Strong is from Boston. Just like people don’t know Jennifer Coolidge in White Lotus is from Boston. Id bet most of my family and friends don’t know that. I’d argue there are many people who don’t know who Ayo Edebiri is in general. No idea about the American Music Show or battle of Boston. Absolutely agree with Rohan and Burr being two notable people from Boston, and in the case of Burr, synonymous with the city of Boston. Wahlberg Damon and Affleck are no brainers, though we are past their peak popularity.

I can guarantee you a list like this for Chicago natives is considerably more extensive. But is closer in numbers and popularity with Boston than NYC. Again, I wouldn’t even debate that. Is that what you’re looking for?

Old 11-01-2023, 02:53 PM

Quote:

I can guarantee you a list like this for Chicago natives is considerably more extensive.
For black actors/comedians- sure. But for white ones? Id have to see that list. I don't have a single white actor or act I associate with being from Chicago The only movie I hear associated with Chicago the way Departed is associated with Boston? The Barbershop- not sure if white folks watched it though.

People don't know these people are from Boston because they're not the caricatures that everyone comes to associate with it but they dont hide it at all. And theyre new- my point is the idea and early pathways to these careers are available in Boston, but they must leave for LA or NYC to really capitalize and sustain indefinitely (thats why its difficult for a Bostonians to put Chicago in that tier or close to it)However Boston can still incubate.

And so much that has been brought up here where no one knows they're from Chicago... Robin Williams- I found that out today. The worlds first planetarium? Okay.

I bring up a lot of younger folks who maybe hasn't had the runway of Wahlberg Affleck and Damon- but they're out there. And theres no equivalent in Chicago...There are are acts and actors maybe folks who are 35+ don't follow or care about. Time will shake it all out.

American Music Awards 2021- Battle of Boston

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kre3wB_Ik7M

Last edited by BostonBornMassMade; 11-01-2023 at 03:09 PM..

Old 11-01-2023, 04:02 PM

Quote:
For black actors/comedians- sure. But for white ones? Id have to see that list. I don't have a single white actor or act I associate with being from Chicago The only movie I hear associated with Chicago the way Departed is associated with Boston? The Barbershop- not sure if white folks watched it though.

People don't know these people are from Boston because they're not the caricatures that everyone comes to associate with it but they dont hide it at all. And theyre new- my point is the idea and early pathways to these careers are available in Boston, but they must leave for LA or NYC to really capitalize and sustain indefinitely (thats why its difficult for a Bostonians to put Chicago in that tier or close to it)However Boston can still incubate.

And so much that has been brought up here where no one knows they're from Chicago... Robin Williams- I found that out today. The worlds first planetarium? Okay. [/url]
I mean, Vince Vaughn might as well be the mayor of Chicago. Melissa McCarthy is right behind him. Seth Meyers too. Arguably the most popular as of late is Sebastian Maniscalco.

Of course, Chicagos run of comedians was much stronger in the 70s80s90s. Icons like Richard Pryor, Bill Murray, Bernie Mac, Jim Belushi, Robin Williams (as mentioned), etc. Second City alumni alone… Any place that spit out Chris Farley, John Candy, Stephen Colbert, Dan Akroyd, and many others is OK by me.

As far as movies associated with Chicago, I’d argue there are a lot. But not many over the last decade or two. But Ferris Bueller, Hoop Dreams, Home Alone, The Blues Brothers, Breakfast Club. These are timeless classics that are unforgettably Chicago.

You’ll notice a theme.. A lot of this predates 2000. Which is exactly what I’ve been saying.

By the way, have you seen Hoop Dreams? If not, stop what you’re doing and go turn that on. For real.

Old 11-01-2023, 04:17 PM

Quote:
I mean, Vince Vaughn might as well be the mayor of Chicago. Melissa McCarthy is right behind him. Seth Meyers too. Arguably the most popular as of late is Sebastian Maniscalco.

Of course, Chicagos run of comedians was much stronger in the 70s80s90s. Icons like Richard Pryor, Bill Murray, Bernie Mac, Jim Belushi, Robin Williams (as mentioned), etc. Second City alumni alone… Any place that spit out Chris Farley, John Candy, Stephen Colbert, Dan Akroyd, and many others is OK by me.

As far as movies associated with Chicago, I’d argue there are a lot. But not many over the last decade or two. But Ferris Bueller, Hoop Dreams, Home Alone, The Blues Brothers, Breakfast Club. These are timeless classics that are unforgettably Chicago.

You’ll notice a theme.. A lot of this predates 2000. Which is exactly what I’ve been saying.

By the way, have you seen Hoop Dreams? If not, stop what you’re doing and go turn that on. For real.
Im a former hooper. I saw Hoop Dreams a BUNCH of times- lol Arthur Agee and William Gates are legends.

Vince Vaughn is a goo one but yea wellll past his peak. Sebastian Maniscalco has been a favorite of mine for years. I know he's from like...Arlington I think. But STILL i erroneously associate with with New Jersey- not his fault.

Seth Meyers and Melissa McCarthy I did not know some other I don't know of (Farley, Belushi, Akroyd- but thats okay, that's me) but I do know Pryor as being from pretty far from Chicago. Bernie Mac absolutely- he was Chicago to me for a long time. John Candy is one I associate with Chicago for sure. But more so DeRay Davis and Lil Rel Howery for me.

Just thinking- Boston actually has a ton of movies that are not so iconic. Recently this includes Proud Mary (Taraji P. Henson movie set in JP/Roxbury), Gone Baby Gone, Blue Hill Ave (Black cult classic though i don't like it), Equalizer 1 and 2, Lift (Kerry Washington led movie set in Roxbury), Squeeze, and back in the 1990s- Celtic Pride.

Old 11-01-2023, 04:26 PM

14,019 posts, read 14,998,668 times
Second city feels like it functions as a Unuversity of sorts. Basically nobody was famous while doing 2nd city. It’s where you learn to be funny then they pluck you to go off to Mew York or LA.

Counting all the 2nd city people as Chicago people is kind of the equivalent to just listing off all the Harvard Alumi and in terms of influence, that’s not a game you’re going to win.

Last edited by btownboss4; 11-01-2023 at 05:04 PM..

Old 11-01-2023, 04:42 PM

Quote:
Vince Vaughn is a goo one but yea wellll past his peak. Sebastian Maniscalco has been a favorite of mine for years. I know he's from like...Arlington I think. But STILL i erroneously associate with with New Jersey- not his fault.
Yeah, Sebastian Maniscalco is from a suburb called Arlington Heights.

Lot of athletes from Arlington Hieghts, not a lot of actors/comedians. Jimmy G included..

Old 11-01-2023, 06:30 PM

4,211 posts, read 3,288,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ne999 View Post
Just curious if anyone can can identify some objective measures that place chicago closer to ny than Boston. This may include scale (urban/metro population), GDP, transit stats, superior status in a field or industry??
I suppose number of tall buildings could be one but even there nyc is running away.
Nyc as a global leader in finance, media, fashion and on and on is hard to compete with.
If you polled people not from the USA which cities do you associate most with the USA it would be nyc in a run away. Chicago and Boston wouldn’t be terribly far apart in that poll
Airport passenger boardings-

ORD+MDW: nearly 43 million 2022 passengers

LGA+JFK: about 41 million 2022 passengers

BOS: about 17 million 2022 passengers.

Yes, I left out EWR. Chicago is still closer to NYC even if added.

Old 11-01-2023, 06:48 PM

4,211 posts, read 3,288,447 times
Quote:
Yeah, Sebastian Maniscalco is from a suburb called Arlington Heights.

Lot of athletes from Arlington Hieghts, not a lot of actors/comedians. Jimmy G included..
I"ve seen Sebastian a couple times at the Comedy Store, he's great.

However, listing people who became famous elsewhere that happen to be from a place isn't really helping either city, one might say its making them look smaller. "Did you know so and so is actually from...." is typically the domain of small towns.

Harvard is obviously a famous institution, but naming every famous person who went there is, IMO, barrel scraping because prestigious universities also exist in small towns.

The reason why a comedy scene is different is because a comedian needs a large array of sizeable venues that operate seven days a week if there's any hope of making progress outside of the local good old boy system of mic time allotment.

Only really, really big cities can sustain that kind of environment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City