Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which is closer to Chicago?
Boston 71 23.20%
New York 145 47.39%
Right in the middle 90 29.41%
Voters: 306. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2023, 04:03 PM

14,019 posts, read 14,998,668 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Losfrisco View Post
Did Bill Burr make it big on the Boston comedy scene?

Or did he have to move to higher tier cities that can actually sustain that kind of career?
Bill Burr, and everyone of his generation “paid their dues” in Boston. Then blew up and moved to LA.

Chicago, in 2023 is in the same spot. I think Oprah is a really good example. She was able to build a career in Chicago by leveraging the Syndication power of local Chicago Tv stations. In the 1980s.

When it came for here lackeys to have spin-offs (Dr Phil, Dr Oz). In the 2000s, you had to go the New York/LS to “make it big”. Chicago had fallen back to the pack.

I’d say it probably was right around 2000 that Chicago became just another exporter of talent rather than a magnet attracting talent

Old 10-27-2023, 04:25 PM

21,628 posts, read 12,727,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Losfrisco View Post
Did Bill Burr make it big on the Boston comedy scene?

Or did he have to move to higher tier cities that can actually sustain that kind of career?
Boston has a loooooong line of comedians so that's debatable. And the whole point of the post in which you ignore like 20 examples... was the CULTURE his whole cultural export is BOSTON. And he is yet another Boston person who is dominating media/comedy.

I don't know anyone whos moved from Boston to Chicago to get their big break in Comedy fwiw. Or anything else actually. Quite a few have gone to LA and NYC though---- I wonder why that is? Jk I can tell you why that is.

Old 10-27-2023, 04:40 PM

14,019 posts, read 14,998,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
Boston has a loooooong line of comedians so that's debatable. And the whole point of the post in which you ignore like 20 examples... was the CULTURE his whole cultural export is BOSTON. And he is yet another Boston person who is dominating media/comedy.

I don't know anyone whos moved from Boston to Chicago to get their big break in Comedy fwiw. Or anything else actually. Quite a few have gone to LA and NYC though---- I wonder why that is? Jk I can tell you why that is.
I was really unsure when I started this thread what the correct answer actually was.

But the more you drill down past your initial “oh well the Big 3 are NY, LA, Chicago, so Chicago is more like New York” and you look at a single piece of data. Like, that’s not true.

It’s much closer to Boston.

I think people are stuck in like 1993 where that was true. But in the intervening 30 years both NAy and Boston have well outpaced Chicago and I think Chicago is solidly closer to the also fans (Boston, Philly, DC, SF) than New York.

Old 10-27-2023, 04:51 PM

419 posts, read 220,015 times
Quote:
Yet it routinely ranks among Americas most unique cities. On here and every other publication.

Boston sells culture. Lobster Rolls, Bill Burr, Aerosmith, boats, bar pizza, sports, the revolution, the southie thing, The American Music Awards literally had a battle of Boston tribute a show between New Edition and New Kids on the Block, schools and education, politics and philanthropies, the accent, the attitude, Boston Public, Frasier, Cheers, Dunkin’ Donuts, “wicked” -not to mention all the various ethnic districts and traditions in the neighborhoods.

Little Saigon, Chinatown, the Polish Triangle, the Haitians and the Dominicans, the Armenians, the Greeks and so on. Traditions like the Boston Shootout (RIP)

Detroit? It’s got MoTown and Cars but The founder of Martin- Tooper Carew, is from Boston. Malcolm X lived in both Boston and Detroit.

So Memphis Philly and Detroit? Yea maybe if you are a black man who enjoys soul music and barbecue.
Boston is a sprawling, cultural wasteland for nerds. Chicago is the best city in USA and among the best in the world, Boston: No nightlife, No food scene, no famous people, no diversity, no culture Chicago: Best party city, rivaled by Miami and NYC, Deep dish and thin crust, Obama and King Von and Walt Disney and more, African Americans and Hispanics and Eastern Europeans (Boston is just white white white white), Chicago has so much culture and I’d say the most cultured city in America. Now I will respond to your points, No ones likes lobster rolls, Who?, wow some mid 80s band, doesn’t every city have them?, same as my last point, tf is a “Southie thing”, who cares?, yeah it’s nerd city, everywhere has politics , yeah it ain’t a good accent, wow 1 fast food place. Boston is a cultural wasteland, and Chicago is a top 5 city in the world. Accept it.

Old 10-27-2023, 05:03 PM

1,320 posts, read 865,054 times
Quote:

Amy Poehler left Boston immediately after graduating college to launch her comedy career in Chicago.

Steve Carrell left Boston for Chicago in 1991 to perform with the Second City.

Rachel Dratch. Brian Gallivan.

Second City and iO Chicago are still major theaters, specifically for improv. I don’t think there is an equivalent for Boston that has churned as many well known alumni.

Old 10-27-2023, 05:15 PM

1,393 posts, read 859,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nadnerb View Post
Amy Poehler left Boston immediately after graduating college to launch her comedy career in Chicago.

Steve Carrell left Boston for Chicago in 1991 to perform with the Second City.

Rachel Dratch. Brian Gallivan.

Second City and iO Chicago are still major theaters, specifically for improv. I don’t think there is an equivalent for Boston that has churned as many well known alumni.
And they leave second city and go to ny or la
This alone doesn’t put chicago closer to nyc than Boston overall

Old 10-27-2023, 05:25 PM

1,393 posts, read 859,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by veshyvonny View Post
Boston is a sprawling, cultural wasteland for nerds. Chicago is the best city in USA and among the best in the world, Boston: No nightlife, No food scene, no famous people, no diversity, no culture Chicago: Best party city, rivaled by Miami and NYC, Deep dish and thin crust, Obama and King Von and Walt Disney and more, African Americans and Hispanics and Eastern Europeans (Boston is just white white white white), Chicago has so much culture and I’d say the most cultured city in America. Now I will respond to your points, No ones likes lobster rolls, Who?, wow some mid 80s band, doesn’t every city have them?, same as my last point, tf is a “Southie thing”, who cares?, yeah it’s nerd city, everywhere has politics , yeah it ain’t a good accent, wow 1 fast food place. Boston is a cultural wasteland, and Chicago is a top 5 city in the world. Accept it.
Incoherent argument with zero objective factors that bring chicago closer to nyc
Chicago is closer it Boston, Philly, dc, San Fran than nyc. Accept it

Old 10-27-2023, 06:04 PM

12,159 posts, read 7,985,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by veshyvonny View Post
Did you get dumped by someone from Boston? You sound like you hold a vendetta against this city LMAO. Hot damn.

Old 10-27-2023, 07:10 PM

5,003 posts, read 5,975,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by masssachoicetts View Post
I think a lot of people forget what New York City has accomplished is based upon the innovations of Boston AND Philadelphia. Nearly everything that was “the first..” or innovated/created in the US, were in either of those two cities. I would say nowadays, Boston’s innovations are much more in the Life Sciences/Pharma/Healthcare realm given the quantity and quality of universities there.
I don't think that the bolded is remotely true today and likely never was.

Old 10-27-2023, 07:13 PM

419 posts, read 220,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by masssachoicetts View Post
Did you get dumped by someone from Boston? You sound like you hold a vendetta against this city LMAO. Hot damn.
I just love Chicago a lot and Boston is a cultural wasteland for nerds that makes Bakersfield look like NYC in comparison.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City