Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which is closer to Chicago?
Boston 71 23.20%
New York 145 47.39%
Right in the middle 90 29.41%
Voters: 306. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2023, 02:38 PM

5,462 posts, read 5,705,221 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Losfrisco View Post
It's a pretty important distinction.

Chicago clearly belonged to an improv peer group in which the only other members were NYC and L.A. for decades.

In terms of having a brand as big as The Comedy Store, Second City may actually eclipse any single institution in NYC.
????
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comedy_Cellar

Old 10-30-2023, 03:09 PM

14,019 posts, read 15,001,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
No. This is not about how NYC compares, and of course it makes sense that it's even more common in NYC where it's even more different. I also mentioned Los Angeles itself as a place where you will meet people who say it is not a real city but a collection of suburbs. How radically different is LA from LA in its transit share, SFH composition, car ownership rates etc on a metropolitan level? That was a trick question. They are the same.

The overarching point was that the criticism of LA being a large collection of suburbs isn't remotely close to exclusive to Chicagoan. That criticism of LA is not unique to Chicago whatsoever and so it's pretty toothless as a point to make about Chicago's supposed navel-gazing or insecurity.

I absolutely agree that basically every city not NYC in the US has underwhelming transit and NYC only, uh, whelms. Citing that criticism of LA though is silly especially as there are certainly people for undergrad, grad school, or work who have gone between Boston and LA and have said the same. It is not a useful point to make.
The main point is Chicagoans are absolutely not wedded to the official list of city proper populations. They will in fact tell you that they live in the eye 2nd city, and their city is on a whole different tier than Houston abd that Northwestern is a Chicago school etc.

Old 10-30-2023, 04:37 PM

4,211 posts, read 3,289,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gantz View Post
The modern comedy landscape took shape in the 1970's.

The Cellar wasn't even open until the 1980's.

Old 10-30-2023, 05:26 PM

1,393 posts, read 859,138 times
Quote:
Yeah I got a little confused at that too....and there's there's the whole part about Cambridge being a "business district", whereas Beverly Hills wouldn't be?
CBD in Cambridge is a huge portion of the Boston area GDP and adjacent to downtown Cbd
Cambridge is part of the Boston city subway 6 stops including heavy rain as is somerville

Last edited by Ne999; 10-30-2023 at 05:39 PM..

Old 10-30-2023, 05:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Easy View Post
Are you sure about the bolded part? In my opinion city proper is way more of a defining feature in NYC than in California cities. The subway stops at the city limits. In my experience NYC residents are very opinionated about which parts of the metro are "NYC" versus everywhere else. It's a very clear distinction. Boroughs may even be more of a defining feature in NYC than cities are in California. Are you sure that the disconnect is in California?
The subway doesn’t stop at the city limits in Boston
Cambridge has 6 subway stops on red and green line including heavy rail.
Somerville has more than 5 stops on red green and orange lines including heavy rail
Brookline has a number of stops on the green line.
Newton also has green line stops.
Quincy has a red line stop

Last edited by Ne999; 10-30-2023 at 06:00 PM..

Old 10-30-2023, 05:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ne999 View Post
The subway doesn’t stop at the city limits in Boston
Cambridge has 6 subway stops including heavy rail on green and red lines.
Somerville has more than 5 stops including heavy rail on green and red lines.
Brookline has a number of stops on the green line.
Newton also has green line stops.
Beverly Hills will have its own LA Metro subway station in two years. They have LA Metro BRT right now.

The part of Beverly Hills that looks suburban is shown to the public to showcase the lifestyles of the rich and famous.

For most people, Beverly Hills looks like this:

https://www.google.com/maps/@34.0649...8192?entry=ttu

https://www.google.com/maps/@34.0633...8192?entry=ttu

https://www.google.com/maps/@34.0646...8192?entry=ttu

Really hard to characterize it as suburban, especially with UA and MGM corporate HQ's there.

Old 10-30-2023, 06:50 PM

Chicago is somewhat of an island, with no obvious peers. It's not what it once was, but it just seems too big in both size and image to lump into a lower peer group. So I'll apply what I call the "Average Joe" test of big cities.

If Average Joe from Anytown, USA felt out of options, down to his last move, and was going to withdraw the $1100 dollars he has to his name and buy a bus ticket to a city to try and make it on a wing and prayer, would it make more sense to choose A) Boston, or B) Chicago?

Obviously this is just a way to measure economic diversity, but the Average Joe test, IMO, is what separates the truly big cities from the rest of the pack, and IMO, there are only three cities that pass this test today.

Old 10-30-2023, 06:53 PM

14,019 posts, read 15,001,786 times
Quote:
Chicago is somewhat of an island, with no obvious peers. It's not what it once was, but it just seems too big in both size and image to lump into a lower peer group. So I'll apply what I call the "Average Joe" test of big cities.

If Average Joe from Anytown, USA felt out of options, down to his last move, and was going to withdraw the $1100 dollars he has to his name and buy a bus ticket to a city to try and make it on a wing and prayer, would it make more sense to choose A) Boston, or B) Chicago?

Obviously this is just a way to measure economic diversity, but the Average Joe test, IMO, is what separates the truly big cities from the rest of the pack, and IMO, there are only three cities that pass this test today.
Based on migration trends, the answer isn’t Chicago, and hasn’t been since maybe 1985

Old 10-30-2023, 07:23 PM

5,003 posts, read 5,975,356 times
Quote:
Beverly Hills will have its own LA Metro subway station in two years. They have LA Metro BRT right now.

The part of Beverly Hills that looks suburban is shown to the public to showcase the lifestyles of the rich and famous.

For most people, Beverly Hills looks like this:

https://www.google.com/maps/@34.0649...8192?entry=ttu

https://www.google.com/maps/@34.0633...8192?entry=ttu

https://www.google.com/maps/@34.0646...8192?entry=ttu

Really hard to characterize it as suburban, especially with UA and MGM corporate HQ's there.
Beverly Hills will actually have two D line subway stations on what will likely be the highest ridership per mile subway line in the US outside NYC.

Old 10-30-2023, 07:32 PM

Quote:

You must not be a scientist
A majority of objective measures place chicago closer to Boston or at the least I could listen to an argument in the middle
All these wing and a prayer questions just don’t do it for me but to each your own
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City