Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which is closer to Chicago?
Boston 71 23.20%
New York 145 47.39%
Right in the middle 90 29.41%
Voters: 306. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2023, 07:55 PM

21,628 posts, read 12,746,938 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by veshyvonny View Post
Boston is a sprawling, cultural wasteland for nerds. Chicago is the best city in USA and among the best in the world, Boston: No nightlife, No food scene, no famous people, no diversity, no culture Chicago: Best party city, rivaled by Miami and NYC, Deep dish and thin crust, Obama and King Von and Walt Disney and more, African Americans and Hispanics and Eastern Europeans (Boston is just white white white white), Chicago has so much culture and I’d say the most cultured city in America. Now I will respond to your points, No ones likes lobster rolls, Who?, wow some mid 80s band, doesn’t every city have them?, same as my last point, tf is a “Southie thing”, who cares?, yeah it’s nerd city, everywhere has politics , yeah it ain’t a good accent, wow 1 fast food place. Boston is a cultural wasteland, and Chicago is a top 5 city in the world. Accept it.
You don’t believe this when type it. You’re gonna have to be realistic to be taken seriously.

Old 10-27-2023, 07:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nadnerb View Post
Amy Poehler left Boston immediately after graduating college to launch her comedy career in Chicago.

Steve Carrell left Boston for Chicago in 1991 to perform with the Second City.

Rachel Dratch. Brian Gallivan.

Second City and iO Chicago are still major theaters, specifically for improv. I don’t think there is an equivalent for Boston that has churned as many well known alumni.
You named one funny person from 1991.

Someone who’s terribly unfunny.

Two people and two places I’ve never heard of. But you learn something new everyday.

Old 10-27-2023, 07:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by veshyvonny View Post
I just love Chicago a lot and Boston is a cultural wasteland for nerds that makes Bakersfield look like NYC in comparison.
You can share what happened here. This is a safe ish place.

Old 10-27-2023, 07:59 PM

1,393 posts, read 860,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Easy View Post
I don't think that the bolded is remotely true today and likely never was.
From bostonborn just some of the firsts that occurred in Boston
Quote:
“Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
Seriously? It had the first subway and there was a small public works project called the Big Dig? You may have heard of it? Boston Common- Americas oldest public park? Boston Public Library Americas first public Library..the first HOPE IV high rise housing project restoration happened in Boston..not in Chicago. When the Hancock building was built in Boston it was taller than any building IN Chicago…

But also yea it bested NYC on several other civic achievements like the first community health care center, first voluntary city-suburb integration program, first public school, first college, first printing press, first police force? First school built for black children and maybe 40 other things…”

Old 10-27-2023, 08:14 PM

14,020 posts, read 15,008,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nadnerb View Post
Amy Poehler left Boston immediately after graduating college to launch her comedy career in Chicago.

Steve Carrell left Boston for Chicago in 1991 to perform with the Second City.

Rachel Dratch. Brian Gallivan.

Second City and iO Chicago are still major theaters, specifically for improv. I don’t think there is an equivalent for Boston that has churned as many well known alumni.
1991 was 32 years ago..

In 1991 Chicago was probably closer to NY than Boston but in the intervening 32 years, Chicago has largely stagnated and Ny and Boston did not. Meaning Boston caught up and New York pulled away

And then those people literally all went to SNL. Even 30 years ago Chicago was a step along the way

Old 10-27-2023, 09:11 PM

56 posts, read 34,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnobbishDude View Post
Neither of these. I think Chicago rather is very similar to Toronto. Both are surrounded by the lake, both are financial centers of a particular region and both exert strong “regional” influence to the economy of North America.

No. No city is similar to or even close to the influence or depth of NYC. New York City is the center of the universe. She is really one of a kind city, the best of the best in absolutely every field.

YEAH! Definitely more like a mixture of Toronto and NYC to me. Chicago has absolutely no Boston feel to me.

Old 10-27-2023, 09:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MusicSoundsBetterWithYou View Post
YEAH! Definitely more like a mixture of Toronto and NYC to me. Chicago has absolutely no Boston feel to me.
Lotta people from Chicago and Boston say they'e kind of sister cities though. I see some of the similarity. Neighborhood Density level, waterfront, three flat vs three Decker, clean, similar climate, segregation.

Old 10-28-2023, 12:33 PM

4,211 posts, read 3,292,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ne999 View Post
The relationship to Boston and Cambridge/somerville and other urban suburbs is completely seamless and relevant in this conversation
Would you even know if Boston did best nyc?
You do know the first public transit system in the USA was built in Boston in the late 1800s before nyc

First public university in America was Harvard and Boston beat out nyc in most things secondary education for its existence to today

Bostons healthcare (hospitals and associates research institutions) has been superior to nyc and chicago for decades. Today nyc boasts some very good hospitals making this more of a conversation than in prior decades.

Boston beats out nyc and chicago today in biotech and beats out chicago in all things tech
Are there any major cities that don't border smaller cities that resemble the core city? Chicago obviously has them along with everywhere else.

I can't be the only one that found it a bit odd that Boston's population had to be inflated to an arbitrary number that's not recognized as any kind of statistical area while Chicago and NYC kept their actual city populations.

Old 10-28-2023, 12:45 PM

4,211 posts, read 3,292,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
Boston has a loooooong line of comedians so that's debatable. And the whole point of the post in which you ignore like 20 examples... was the CULTURE his whole cultural export is BOSTON. And he is yet another Boston person who is dominating media/comedy.

I don't know anyone whos moved from Boston to Chicago to get their big break in Comedy fwiw. Or anything else actually. Quite a few have gone to LA and NYC though---- I wonder why that is? Jk I can tell you why that is.
I'd hardly count famous comedians based out of Los Angeles/NYC making the odd reference to their hometowns "exporting culture."

Chicago is known for major league comedy, Boston isn't. Yes they fell off but they were a major player up until the 1990's, which goes back to my point about Chicago having more (and more recent) "Big three" feathers in their cap than Boston.

Old 10-28-2023, 01:02 PM

12,159 posts, read 7,997,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Losfrisco View Post
Are there any major cities that don't border smaller cities that resemble the core city? Chicago obviously has them along with everywhere else.

I can't be the only one that found it a bit odd that Boston's population had to be inflated to an arbitrary number that's not recognized as any kind of statistical area while Chicago and NYC kept their actual city populations.
New York City is an agglomeration of 5 boroughs. You could absolutely tailor the conversation to say Manhattan is only 1.6 million people and smaller than Chicago, but why not include Brooklyn? Queens? Bx? Si?

And, you have to understand what is the core of the Boston area. Yea Cambridge is a different city, but its a functional extension of the core. The river that separates the two cities, doesn’t impact the economy or production of the region. The Boston core is an agglomeration of squares, whether they are in the city limits or not. New England is just a different beast when it comes to cities/towns/counties. Very very different. If you reported on an office market report of The Boston area and didn’t include Cambridge/Somerville, you would be missing nearly 50 million square feet of offices/labs. Its like just looking at Midtown Manhattan and omitting Lower Manhattan and Brooklyn. Yes, it falls just outside the city limit… but in New England, that doesn’t matter. We chop up our cities like mad in the northeast and especially so in New England + New Jersey + Pennsylvania. You could make the argument “well in DC they dont include Arlington.. or what about Jersey City!” Which is true, but Boston has other cities in the metropolitan area that serve as satellite cities. An argument could be made to include Arlington into DC core since DC is chopped up. But its not as interconnected as Boston/Cambridge are. Cambridge isn’t a Tysons Corner or Parsippany.

Our understanding of cities/towns/counties are very different than someone from California or Orlando. The relationships are very different.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City