Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which is closer to Chicago?
Boston 71 23.20%
New York 145 47.39%
Right in the middle 90 29.41%
Voters: 306. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2023, 04:40 PM

253 posts, read 122,516 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by personone View Post
I have no clue what point you are trying to make. I wrote 7/12 not "7 1/2."

Pardon my misplaced slash. In my view, April, October, and really much of November may be "cool" but not "cold". In fact, perfect weather for walking all over the city and not breaking a sweat, even if the sun is shining. Need a sweater or jacket? Perhaps. But some people on this site (not saying you) unbelievably exaggerate the degree of cold temps in Chicago.

Old 03-22-2023, 12:02 PM

5,462 posts, read 5,705,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CBOTfan View Post
Pardon my misplaced slash. In my view, April, October, and really much of November may be "cool" but not "cold". In fact, perfect weather for walking all over the city and not breaking a sweat, even if the sun is shining. Need a sweater or jacket? Perhaps. But some people on this site (not saying you) unbelievably exaggerate the degree of cold temps in Chicago.
Chicago in November gets pretty darn cold, especially the second half of the month. We are talking 40s in the daytime and upper 30s or even freezing at night sometimes. Its like NYC winter weather, and I hope nobody claims that winter in NYC is "nice weather".
Lets be honest, after October its a wrap when it comes to weather in Chi, outside maybe a few outlier days of warmth.

Old 03-22-2023, 12:14 PM

37,127 posts, read 39,357,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CBOTfan View Post
Yea, I think it's fair to give October to Chicago as cool rather than cold. I think April and November are both on the shoulders and harder to make an argument for, but April is easier to take because you're thawing out from colder previous months so it probably feels relatively warm and the days keep getting longer.

Dug up the daily temps for the last few years:
https://www.extremeweatherwatch.com/...cago/year-2022
https://www.extremeweatherwatch.com/...cago/year-2021
https://www.extremeweatherwatch.com/...cago/year-2020
https://www.extremeweatherwatch.com/...cago/year-2019

Extremely rare for lows below freezing in October and with some days with highs and lows that are actually quite warm.

Old 03-22-2023, 04:36 PM

253 posts, read 122,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gantz View Post
Lets be honest, after October its a wrap when it comes to weather in Chi, outside maybe a few outlier days of warmth.
November (or April) shouldn't stop people from being out and about and enjoying the city, taking care of their business, or carrying on with whatever. It is merely chilly or even moderately cold and you certainly don't need heavy outerwear on most days. Heck, during the first weekend of December last year, I recall being at the Christmas Market downtown at the Daley Center on a sunny and 50+ degree day. Really, my point is to push back at some people who exclaim Chicago cold to be "brutal", unrelentingly brutal . . . . for months. Those people are dorks.

Old 03-23-2023, 06:42 AM

21,628 posts, read 12,733,519 times
So after a while there and going up into some apartments right in the loop and getting the rooftop view. I think the Loop feels sort of like Manhattan. But there are some major differences, large walkable plazas and multi-leveled streets and Generally a slower pace and less hectic and vibrant street life- even for the winter. However, the sheer number of buildings is VERY impressive. The approaches into downtown are not nearly as consulted or daunting as NYC but its on a much different plane than Boston. I also went deep into the South Side with my friend. Down to 73rd street near the East side. It's built out at an average Boston density or someplace in Southern Queens or Southern Brooklyn. The commercial corridors are very weak down there. Also went pretty far North along Lake Shore Drive and then West North of Lincoln Park but South of Wrigley Field then down back to the Loop.

Overall the city seems right down the middle- there's just so much more open space in Chicago and the city is a LOT less populous. But when I pair it with the economic stats Id have to say it slightly leans Boston.

Old 03-23-2023, 06:54 AM

12,159 posts, read 7,989,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
So after a while there and going up into some apartments right in the loop and getting the rooftop view. I think the Loop feels sort of like Manhattan. But there are some major differences, large walkable plazas and multi-leveled streets and Generally a slower pace and less hectic and vibrant street life- even for the winter. However, the sheer number of buildings is VERY impressive. The approaches into downtown are not nearly as consulted or daunting as NYC but its on a much different plane than Boston. I also went deep into the South Side with my friend. Down to 73rd street near the East side. It's built out at an average Boston density or someplace in Southern Queens or Southern Brooklyn. The commercial corridors are very weak down there. Also went pretty far North along Lake Shore Drive and then West North of Lincoln Park but South of Wrigley Field then down back to the Loop.

Overall the city seems right down the middle- there's just so much more open space in Chicago and the city is a LOT less populous. But when I pair it with the economic stats Id have to say it slightly leans Boston.
Good assessment. Loop has that tall, archaic feeling of Midtown (Albeit, infinitely cleaner). The areas around the Loop feel like Brooklyn, Queens. But with obvious differences (Like slower pace, weak commercial corridors and more segrgeated).

Old 03-23-2023, 07:43 AM

6,806 posts, read 6,031,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by masssachoicetts View Post
Good assessment. Loop has that tall, archaic feeling of Midtown (Albeit, infinitely cleaner). The areas around the Loop feel like Brooklyn, Queens. But with obvious differences (Like slower pace, weak commercial corridors and more segrgeated).
I still maintain that if the Loop is Midtown, then Chicago has no equivalent of Downtown or vice versa. And on top of that, nowhere in Chicago has the same low/midrise residential density of Manhattan neighborhoods like SoHo, Chelsea, the Upper East/West sides, etc.

And it’s one thing to say “xyz neighborhood” feels like Brooklyn, but remember that the burrough of Brooklyn alone matches the population of the whole city of Chicago in just 30% the space.

The difference in scale between the cities is huge - much larger than the gap between Chicago and Boston.

Old 03-23-2023, 07:54 AM

12,159 posts, read 7,989,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boston Shudra View Post
I still maintain that if the Loop is Midtown, then Chicago has no equivalent of Downtown or vice versa. And on top of that, nowhere in Chicago has the same low/midrise residential density of Manhattan neighborhoods like SoHo, Chelsea, the Upper East/West sides, etc.

And it’s one thing to say “xyz neighborhood” feels like Brooklyn, but remember that the burrough of Brooklyn alone matches the population of the whole city of Chicago in just 30% the space.

The difference in scale between the cities is huge - much larger than the gap between Chicago and Boston.
SoHo=Magnificient Mile
Chelsea/LEW/The Villages- Streeterville, Lincoln Park, Boystown, Wrigleyville
UES/UWS: Gold Coast and OldTown with a bit of Streeterville? I actually have no idea.

Old 03-23-2023, 08:46 AM

6,806 posts, read 6,031,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by masssachoicetts View Post
SoHo=Magnificient Mile
Is the Magnificent Mile not 5th Ave for this comparison? I thought that’d be one of the easiest parallels to draw.

Quote:
Chelsea/LEW/The Villages- Streeterville, Lincoln Park, Boystown, Wrigleyville
UES/UWS: Gold Coast and OldTown with a bit of Streeterville? I actually have no idea.
My Airbnb was basically right on N Halstead. I loved Boystown and Wrigleyville when I was there. But there’s no way in Hell’s Kitchen that this is equivalent to this.

Old 10-24-2023, 05:19 PM

14,019 posts, read 15,001,786 times

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ZabaKdmynF8

This video is interesting Boston has 67% of 10,000 ppsm+ and 40% walk/Transit share neighborhoods Chicago has, while Chicago is 22% of New Yorks (29, 43, 188sq miles)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City