Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which is closer to Chicago?
Boston 71 23.20%
New York 145 47.39%
Right in the middle 90 29.41%
Voters: 306. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2023, 11:48 AM

6,806 posts, read 6,031,870 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Losfrisco View Post
I just found that "population-maxing" post a bit strange where Boston's population doubled and seemed to imply that Chicago and NYC wouldn't also have adjacent urban suburbs that might inflate the perception of the city's size or true urban footprint.

Seems to me that there are plenty of other places around the country where population centers run into each other while being separated by political boundaries.
If that’s a concern for you, then use the CSA populations. That definition paints with as wide a brush as possible for all 3 cities. No need to worry about what’s in and what’s out. Furthermore, the definition is created by a neutral 3rd party with no particular skin in this game.

Old 12-02-2023, 12:21 PM

3,525 posts, read 2,316,290 times
Quote:
Yeah, this is what I figured.

I just found that "population-maxing" post a bit strange where Boston's population doubled and seemed to imply that Chicago and NYC wouldn't also have adjacent urban suburbs that might inflate the perception of the city's size or true urban footprint.

Seems to me that there are plenty of other places around the country where population centers run into each other while being separated by political boundaries.

Its just that not all of those places are asking for bonus points because of it.
It's more so to do with the geographic proximity/functionality than arbitrary political limits.

Chicago & NYC's urban "suburbs" just happen to be in their administrative limits due to the cities annexing land, where as a city like Boston didn't annex so they lie "outside" of the city limits despite geographically being no more distant or integrated/connected to the urban fabric.

Functionally they are all the same and to a tourist you'd be none the wiser.

Old 12-02-2023, 12:28 PM

4,211 posts, read 3,289,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joakim3 View Post
It's more so to do with the geographic proximity/functionality than arbitrary political limits.

Chicago & NYC's urban "suburbs" just happen to be in their administrative limits due to the cities annexing land, where as a city like Boston didn't annex so they lie "outside" of the city limits despite geographically being no more distant or integrated/connected to the urban fabric.

Functionally they are all the same and to a tourist you'd be none the wiser.
A city boundary.

A county boundary.

A river boundary.

If only there was some way for people to tell these places apart!

Old 12-02-2023, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ne999 View Post
It’s just true that bostons urban suburbs function differently than most American cities in their proximity and integration to the major city downtown.

Tell me what percent of this..

https://www.mbta.com/schedules/subway

Is actually not Boston ?

Not Boston is Basically all the northern extensions outside of downtown (red green, orange and blue) the green line for swaths west in Brookline and large swaths of red line south into Quincy.

Do you think up to 40% or more of chicagos city subway is not in chicago ?
Should we think about what the acronyms "MBTA" and "CTA" stand for? Or would that not be helpful for Boston?

For context, what does "BART" stand for, and what percentage of those stations are outside of San Francisco?

Old 12-02-2023, 12:37 PM

21,628 posts, read 12,733,519 times
Quote:
A city boundary.

A county boundary.

A river boundary.

The issue is a small part of Boston is north of at least one of those.

East Boston is an isthmus to the North East of downtown. Five Islands put together with landfill justtibg out into the Boston Harbor…i think-not sure what the body of water is called.

Charlestown is north of the Mystic River randomly (someone told you the history of that) and touches Somerville with a land boundary. Together they contain about 8-9% of the city’s population.

You just don't know the area enough. Which I think everyone has told you. Mystic River is anotherBoston movie.

As for countiew I didn't even know what a county was till I was like 20 years old. It's not relevant in terms of a boundary really. Lotta people there don't know what a county is supposed to do normally.

Old 12-02-2023, 12:40 PM

21,628 posts, read 12,733,519 times
Quote:
Should we think about what the acronyms "MBTA" and "CTA" stand for? Or would that not be helpful for Boston?

For context, what does "BART" stand for, and what percentage of those stations are outside of San Francisco?
Massachusetts Bay is in Boston.

1,393 posts, read 859,409 times
Quote:

And this semantics game is all fine for you to discuss on your computer wherever you are. But what does it matter when I’m in downtown Boston and go to dinner in Union square somerville by hopping on subway for a few minutes. Does Cambridge, somerville, chelsea not add to the size and feel of Boston. Guess what they do.

6,806 posts, read 6,031,870 times
Quote:
A city boundary.

A county boundary.

A river boundary.

If only there was some reason to care!

Old 12-02-2023, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
Massachusetts Bay is in Boston.
Looks like there and a few other places.

I know its a very discerning crowd here, so I'll refrain from making any further comments on the geographic location of the Massachusetts Bay until I"ve actually been there.

Old 12-02-2023, 01:35 PM

3,525 posts, read 2,316,290 times
Quote:
A city boundary.

A county boundary.

A river boundary.

Whats you're point? Nobody in this forum debates cities based on their municipal boundaries as those are arbitrary in the context of how they function on the ground in real life.

The boroughs of NYC are their own counties so again, you're weakening your own argument.

Parts of Boston proper lie, north of the river.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City