Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which is closer to Chicago?
Boston 71 23.20%
New York 145 47.39%
Right in the middle 90 29.41%
Voters: 306. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2023, 11:23 AM

21,627 posts, read 12,718,846 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Losfrisco View Post
So in other words, this idea that the world is somehow wrong for not recognizing Boston as a city of 1.3 million is widely disputed, including and especially by people living in the area.
Yea its not a city of 1.3 million even if it feels like it- it's not. Boston is not legally responsible for those extra people. And the difference in how Bsoton Public Schools operate is actually one of the key differentiators and causes of that.

I think for people who claim they're in Bsoton but live in Somerville they overwhelmingly feel like they're much more a part of Boston than the neighborhood I was raised in. In my neighborhood we would never call them Bostonians.

Old 12-02-2023, 11:28 AM

1,393 posts, read 858,971 times
Quote:
Imagine getting off an L train in Evanston or Cicero. Would it be wrong to include them in a calculation of Chicago's population when apparently places like Cambridge and Somerville were for Boston?

Is that the same county when you cross the river north from Boston?
When you get off the l In Evanston you are 12 miles from the loop
When you get off at Kendall square Cambridge you are less than a mile and 2 red line stops to downtown Boston in the biotech capital of the world, a city of 19000 people per square mile

Old 12-02-2023, 11:28 AM

4,211 posts, read 3,287,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
Yea its not a city of 1.3 million even if it feels like it- it's not. Boston is not legally responsible for those extra people. And the difference in how Bsoton Public Schools operate is actually one of the key differentiators and causes of that.

I think for people who claim they're in Bsoton but live in Somerville they overwhelmingly feel like they're much more a part of Boston than the neighborhood I was raised in. In my neighborhood we would never call them Bostonians.
This calls back to my post that was mocked about the significance of Chicago's municipal population.

One city, administered from one central authority, with that level of population and structural density over that large of an area-not something you see everyday in America.

Old 12-02-2023, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ne999 View Post
When you get off the l In Evanston you are 12 miles from the loop
When you get off at Kendall square Cambridge you are less than a mile and 2 red line stops to downtown Boston and in the biotech capital of the world
And you're also in Middlesex County.

Old 12-02-2023, 11:34 AM

1,393 posts, read 858,971 times
Quote:
Do I care after my 10 minute walk?

Old 12-02-2023, 11:36 AM

Quote:
This calls back to my post that was mocked about the significance of Chicago's municipal population.

One city, administered from one central authority, with that level of population and structural density over that large of an area-not something you see everyday in America.
Yea that is different. I agree. Still Chicago is much closer to Boston. Basically everyday I hear about another Boston movie or what have you. HBO Max is releasing a three part series murder in Boston in Monday, I just found out he HoldOvers is a new Boston based movie in Amazon Prine. The whole marathon thin…. we just punch way way above our weight. Consistently in nearly every aspect.

And I'd be lying if I said there isn't a huge difference in how big a Baltimore 600k feels versus a Boston 600k. Boston fells much much larger grander more complex and important than a city like Baltimore or Milwaukee. And the major reason apart form its skyline is the contiguous urban development outside of its border and the various tunnels bridges skywalks aquaducts and so on. The civics engineering is big time- often feeling just as if not more layered/complex than Downtown Chicago with its two layer/tier streets. It feels much more in the category with DC Philly and SF-Oakland.

when I enter Chicago, it’s like wow this is exciting big city a lot of fun, but I navigated the same way. I would Boston there’s not the additional layers of being that there are to New York where everything feels stacked on top of stacked with various administration after administration and connection after connection it’s just a whole different mindset that I switched to when I go to New York City where I Chicago I really navigated and keep the same mindset as I would in Boston it doesn’t feel as easy to get engulfed by it like NYC.

Old 12-02-2023, 11:36 AM

6,804 posts, read 6,027,453 times
Quote:
Imagine getting off an L train in Evanston or Cicero. Would it be wrong to include them in a calculation of Chicago's population when apparently places like Cambridge and Somerville were for Boston?

Is that the same county when you cross the river north from Boston?
Last comment [again] proves that you know jack about the area. County definitions in southern New England are meaningless.

It’s about a 25min walk from Boston City Hall to Cambridge. Compared to 2hr 45min between Chicago City Hall and Cicero, IL.

The three cities you mentioned (among others) have swapped land area plenty of times in the past. Allston/Brighton (now a neighborhood of Boston) used to be part of Cambridge before it got independence and then was annexed into Boston. Somerville used to be a neighborhood of Charlestown when it was an independent city before breaking off and before the remnants of Charlestown were annexed into Boston.

All of this is meaningless to this thread because “stature” doesn’t depend on local government structures. Cicero and Evanston ARE as relevant to Chicago as Salem, Waltham, Wakefield, Randolph, etc. are to Boston. All the above can be included here if it helps stack either city up against NYC (which can include Yonkers and Bayonne and Hempstead).

Old 12-02-2023, 11:37 AM

Quote:
That part doesnt *really* matter… there's no county government or services. being in a different town is enough.

Old 12-02-2023, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boston Shudra View Post
Last comment [again] proves that you know jack about the area. County definitions in southern New England are meaningless.

It’s about a 25min walk from Boston City Hall to Cambridge. Compared to 2hr 45min between Chicago City Hall and Cicero, IL.

The three cities you mentioned (among others) have swapped land area plenty of times in the past. Allston/Brighton (now a neighborhood of Boston) used to be part of Cambridge before it got independence and then was annexed into Boston. Somerville used to be a neighborhood of Charlestown when it was an independent city before breaking off and before the remnants of Charlestown were annexed into Boston.

All of this is meaningless to this thread because “stature” doesn’t depend on local government structures. Cicero and Evanston ARE as relevant to Chicago as Salem, Waltham, Wakefield, Randolph, etc. are to Boston. All the above can be included here if it helps stack either city up against NYC (which can include Yonkers and Bayonne and Hempstead).
Yeah, this is what I figured.

I just found that "population-maxing" post a bit strange where Boston's population doubled and seemed to imply that Chicago and NYC wouldn't also have adjacent urban suburbs that might inflate the perception of the city's size or true urban footprint.

Seems to me that there are plenty of other places around the country where population centers run into each other while being separated by political boundaries.

Its just that not all of those places are asking for bonus points because of it.

Old 12-02-2023, 11:45 AM

14,009 posts, read 14,995,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post

Yeah but that’s true of the London Boroughs as well but nobody thinks London is a city of 8,000.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City