Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which is closer to Chicago?
Boston 71 23.20%
New York 145 47.39%
Right in the middle 90 29.41%
Voters: 306. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2020, 11:41 AM

14,019 posts, read 15,001,786 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
West Roxbury and Readville are firmly 10 miles from the CBD.. West Roxbury Readville and Fairmount are the only "proper" suburban places in Boston and maybe Adams Village...

Urban Development is unbroken from Boston's CBD to Lynn which is 13 miles.

from Boston's CBD to Watertown which is 9 miles.

It's also urban an unbroken from the CBD to Roslindale Village/Cleary Square which is ~10 miles.

I don't know were you're getting 5 or 6 miles. Explain?
Arlington, South Brookline, Belmont, Chestnut Hill, West Roxbury, Squantum, Quincy, Melrose, Saugus I counted that swamp between Revere and Lynn as a gap that's all 5-6 miles from Central Boston.

Old 04-30-2020, 12:03 PM

21,628 posts, read 12,733,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by btownboss4 View Post
Arlington, South Brookline, Belmont, Chestnut Hill, West Roxbury, Squantum, Quincy, Melrose, Saugus I counted that swamp between Revere and Lynn as a gap that's all 5-6 miles from Central Boston.

-You can still drive straight from CBD Boston to Watertown with uninterrupted urbanity of 7-8kppsqm+

-All of those places are pretty urban especially the bolded areas, some them have densities of 5-9k ppsqm.

-South Brookline isn't a town but yesists much less urban than North brookline
-
Point remains that you can drive 10+ miles south and of Boston and have totally unfettered urbantity

- that swamp between revere and lynn takes all of 90 second to drive through and even then theres still apartment compelxes alongside it..and building more

-Even places that aren't that urban have noticeable urban areas in them (Chestnut Hill, West Roxbury)

Old 04-30-2020, 12:07 PM

1,393 posts, read 859,409 times
Quote:
I’ve been preaching scale this whole time and here’s another one:

Chinatown’s
Boston: 1
Chicago: 1
Nyc: 9

Old 04-30-2020, 10:33 PM

23,518 posts, read 24,000,129 times
New York.

Old 05-01-2020, 06:28 AM

3,733 posts, read 2,885,652 times
Seems what people are trying to do here, at least some people, is elevate Boston to Chicago's level. Chicago isn't NYC, but Boston isn't Chicago, either. Chicago is in between....have I said this already on this thread? Maybe. In order, due to the 3 cities chosen for this thread: Chicago is not at NYC's level, nor is Boston at Chicago's.

NYC
Chicago
Boston

Old 05-01-2020, 07:03 AM

1,393 posts, read 859,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enean View Post
Seems what people are trying to do here, at least some people, is elevate Boston to Chicago's level. Chicago isn't NYC, but Boston isn't Chicago, either. Chicago is in between....have I said this already on this thread? Maybe. In order, due to the 3 cities chosen for this thread: Chicago is not at NYC's level, nor is Boston at Chicago's.

NYC
Chicago
Boston
Master of the obvious...why even have a thread on the topic? Nobody is bringing Boston to Chicago’s level..I am explaining the massive gap in stature between Chicago and New York....Chicago has more influence nationally and globally than Boston I get it very clearly...Chicago is closer to Boston’s stature than nyc, overall. Heres another graphic below...the scoring difference from 1 to 8 is much greater than 8 to the end of the graph...Chicago is closer in influence to Boston than New York ...the vast majority of those voting for nyc have to be non-East coast folk with massive nyc inferiority complexes...it really can’t be more obvious..I’m trying to have a legitimate objective discussion about how Chicago’s stature is closer to nyc and I really can’t..all I’ve heard is Starbucks chose to open a store in Chicago

https://at.kearney.com/documents/201...=1527106649975

Old 05-01-2020, 07:11 AM

21,628 posts, read 12,733,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ne999 View Post
Master of the obvious...why even have a thread on the topic? Nobody is bringing Boston to Chicago’s level..I am explaining the massive gap in stature between Chicago and New York....Chicago has more influence nationally and globally than Boston I get it very clearly...Chicago is closer to Boston’s stature than nyc, overall. Heres another graphic below...the scoring difference from 1 to 8 is much greater than 8 to the end of the graph...Chicago is closer in influence to Boston than New York ...the vast majority of those voting for nyc have to be non-East coast folk with massive nyc inferiority complexes...it really can’t be more obvious..I’m trying to have a legitimate objective discussion about how Chicago’s stature is closer to nyc and I really can’t..all I’ve heard is Starbucks chose to open a store in Chicago

https://at.kearney.com/documents/201...=1527106649975
Bro i give up. People are on here stating the obvious and either don't understand the concepts of nuance and detail or are unwilling to engage.

Old 05-01-2020, 07:41 AM

14,019 posts, read 15,001,786 times
Quote:

Chinatown’s
If you’re counting places not named Chinatown as Chinatown due to high CHINESE POPULATION (like Flushings) is day Boston has 2. North Quincy being a Chinatown.

Old 05-01-2020, 09:04 AM

6,806 posts, read 6,031,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
Bro i give up. People are on here stating the obvious and either don't understand the concepts of nuance and detail or are unwilling to engage.
Honestly. Enean’s “I said it, so it’s true” argument is hard to counter..

Quote:
If you’re counting places not named Chinatown as Chinatown due to high CHINESE POPULATION (like Flushings) is day Boston has 2. North Quincy being a Chinatown.
Malden too?

Old 05-01-2020, 10:50 AM

12,159 posts, read 7,989,874 times
Quote:

Chinatown’s
Boston has two unofficial ones in Cambridge and Allston. My CHinese friends who are PhDing in Boston like Allston's and Cambridge's better than the official one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City