Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which is closer to Chicago?
Boston 71 23.20%
New York 145 47.39%
Right in the middle 90 29.41%
Voters: 306. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2020, 08:36 AM

14,019 posts, read 15,001,786 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enean View Post
Chicago is a "hot city" (in your words), because those on the coasts like to put it down. That's the lowest common denominator. People might try to deny it, but I can think of no other reason. If you look, people from Chicago aren't starting these threads...
I just thought this was a bit different than the direct comparisons that have been done in almost every combination already.

Old 05-07-2020, 04:33 PM

1,803 posts, read 934,104 times
In reading thru the thread. It was civil and when someone wanted to heat it up trying to force more debate I will call it. Most posters just did not take the dare. So all in all a good thread. The problem with only stats is that until you see the cities and knowing each is unique and still differ. You still develop impressions and by sight compare it to other cities you visited. Why many going to a place on more then business will take pictures so easily and post some instantly on social media. I have some from years of trips as many of us will.

There is a point that cities separate themselves as things unique to them and if a likeness to some other city we may remember. I see NYC's newer skyline with those sleek skinny supertall peaks stand out as it did in older NYC when the Art Deco giants defined the skyline with their peaks. I can see those same kinds of peaks in Chicago's skyline from numerous directions from supertalls it gained. Boston as yet does not, but it isn't necessary, it isn't its style and choices made there. I think many would like to see some there?

Videos to and YouTube ones are awesome to hype a city to perspective visitors. I hope our cities return to their as many videos highlight in pre-pandemic vibrancy. Will the food courts return as shown here in a Chicago one? Will all the festivals return? Maybe not all this summer. It certainly shows how Chicago can be a great especially as a summer touristy city. From the tops of supertalls to the river and pier and festivals to free concerts and the lake and beaches. So I will HYPE it.

Not too bad as done here by this enthusiastic Canadian couple to Chicago for a week they said. Shows aspects that give the city a good vibe and as being touristy for sure. I saw they visited a Chicago hot dog joint I ate in on a visit and a deep dish pizza place tourist hit up as I did too. The city's summer festivals and concerts are as much for locals as tourist too. It will be very sad if things do not all return after this pandemic mess and some will not.

Video from the summer of 2019. They even have skyline pictures like the Flicker ones I chose in my earlier post for the video views below.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GrlyRTINxkw

Beats the weather of winter of early 2019 called the Polar Vortex. Still the Skyline shines through in this video from above.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MxNTryzRQ8Q

Old 05-07-2020, 05:11 PM

1,393 posts, read 859,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoHyping View Post
In reading thru the thread. It was civil and when someone wanted to heat it up trying to force more debate I will call it. Most posters just did not take the dare. So all in all a good thread. The problem with only stats is that until you see the cities and knowing each is unique and still differ. You still develop impressions and by sight compare it to other cities you visited. Why many going to a place on more then business will take pictures so easily and post some instantly on social media. I have some from years of trips as many of us will.

There is a point that cities separate themselves as things unique to them and if a likeness to some other city we may remember. I see NYC's newer skyline with those sleek skinny supertall peaks stand out as it did in older NYC when the Art Deco giants defined the skyline with their peaks. I can see those same kinds of peaks in Chicago's skyline from numerous directions from supertalls it gained. Boston as yet does not, but it isn't necessary, it isn't its style and choices made there. I think many would like to see some there?

Videos to and YouTube ones are awesome to hype a city to perspective visitors. I hope our cities return to their as many videos highlight in pre-pandemic vibrancy. Will the food courts return as shown here in a Chicago one? Will all the festivals return? Maybe not all this summer. It certainly shows how Chicago can be a great especially as a summer touristy city. From the tops of supertalls to the river and pier and festivals to free concerts and the lake and beaches. So I will HYPE it.

Not too bad as done here by this enthusiastic Canadian couple to Chicago for a week they said. Shows aspects that give the city a good vibe and as being touristy for sure. I saw they visited a Chicago hot dog joint I ate in on a visit and a deep dish pizza place tourist hit up as I did too. The city's summer festivals and concerts are as much for locals as tourist too. It will be very sad if things do not all return after this pandemic mess and some will not.

Video from the summer of 2019. They even have skyline pictures like the Flicker ones I chose in my earlier post for the video views below.

Beats the weather of winter of early 2019 called the Polar Vortex. Still the Skyline shines through in this video from above.

Thing is everyone realizes Chicago is above Boston..we all get it..when you factor in everything that a citys stature encompasses there is a larger gap between Chicago and New York than Chicago and Boston...stature is much larger than looking at a downtown skyline

Old 05-07-2020, 05:17 PM

6,806 posts, read 6,031,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ne999 View Post
stature is much larger than looking at a downtown skyline
Honestly. Looking at skylines, you'd think Seattle or Miami are above Boston in stature.

Old 05-07-2020, 05:35 PM

795 posts, read 482,042 times
Quote:
That is another thread and probably the world forum. The post you replied to and others gave a great perspective on how Chicago evolved not emulating NYC at all. It did not base even its skyline on patterning after NYC or its urban build. Clearly if anyone thought Chicago tried all alone to be a NYC and best it even? They were wrong. I was surprised to learn Chicago actually had height limits and nothing to do with aircraft restrictions some cities have, but on reasons self-inflicted while the skyscrapers evolution was young. Chicago gained no supertall till its first was completed in 1969 and within 5 years bam 123. Clearly a old name for the city being "City of Big Shoulders" took on a visual meaning for its core to fill in. Clearly the Manhattanizing effect then began to pick up steam and shows today. Chicago is not a Island or few of them and needed a even further pushing upward. that needed a going upward. Dhicago still developed the skyscraper and has a world renown skyline with NYC despite NYC's greater levels. Clearly Asian cities are piling up on even megatalls now. I discovered that the Architectural firm that did at least 3 of Chicago's supertalls including the Trump Tower Chicago and two of the first 3 there. Also did the tallest current Megatall in Dubai and a new one that will surpass that one getting built.

Flicker has some awesome cityscape photos and Chicago still stacks up well in some I saved that I found. I'm surprised I figured out how to post them here. Clearly its shows why Chicago gives many a perspective closer to NYC then Boston. Just does and a huge reason the votes show it. Not about quantity and numbers, but sight and perspectives and by impressions that always come to play.

Those are some nice photos! I especially love the skyline one with the lighthouse in the harbor, just lovely (I love lighthouses and skyscrapers)!

I don't have a dog in this fight, because I have not been to Chicago yet.

I'm posting to say that the thread was interesting to read through. I understand why btownboss4 made the thread to include creative discussion, with logic, facts, real feel, skyline, GDP, economy, etc etc etc.

But honestly, why can't posters on CD just disagree with each other without the sarcastic remarks, snarky comments or rude dismissive, rabid attitudes. Some of you feel Chicago is closer to Boston in stature, and that's great. Some of you feel Chicago is closer to New York City in stature, and that's wonderful. Have your difference of opinions as all adults do.... but start being more respectful of other posters.....

Last edited by CinderFella7; 05-07-2020 at 06:36 PM..

Old 05-08-2020, 04:43 AM

Quote:

How, besides a skyline, is Chicago closer to ny than Boston in factors rating to stature..economy, culture etc ??

Keep in mind this city and its skyline is closer to New York in stature than Boston..do you think someone in London (not a skyline fanatic) puts Chicago in the Boston class or ny class

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=TlI4vIbEaNA

Old 05-08-2020, 05:30 AM

3,733 posts, read 2,885,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ne999 View Post
How, besides a skyline, is Chicago closer to ny than Boston in factors rating to stature..economy, culture etc ??

Keep in mind this city and its skyline is closer to New York in stature than Boston..do you think someone in London (not a skyline fanatic) puts Chicago in the Boston class or ny class

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=TlI4vIbEaNA
I don't think they even think about it. Why would they? Do you think about cities in the UK, and what class they're in? People in real life, in the US, don't think about this either. Everyone knows NYC is the top US city, followed by LA, and then Chicago. They don't have a clue, about any of the cities GDP numbers, either.

Old 05-08-2020, 06:31 AM

Quote:
I don't think they even think about it. Why would they? Do you think about cities in the UK, and what class they're in? People in real life, in the US, don't think about this either. Everyone knows NYC is the top US city, followed by LA, and then Chicago. They don't have a clue, about any of the cities GDP numbers, either.
Most in the us know Chicago is 3..I wonder how many do internationally? ..probably still most...maybe. This aspect of stature is impacted by factors related to culture, history, recognizable characteristics - in these categories Chicago is above Boston but closer to Boston than ny

Speaking of recognition..I would imagine most people have heard of 5th ave and Beverly Hills/rodeo dr..I’d argue a good percent of east coast people that have not been to Chicago and arent into shopping streets aren’t at all familiar with Michigan A
venue or maybe not even the more popular term “magnificent mile”

Last edited by Ne999; 05-08-2020 at 06:42 AM..

Old 05-08-2020, 06:44 AM

Quote:
The point is although skylines may play a role in a city’s stature it is not the be all end all that chicagoans make it out to be...

Old 01-19-2023, 04:32 PM

6,806 posts, read 6,031,870 times
Just got back from Chicago, and (not to stir the pot*) am still generally in the “closer to Boston” camp.

I’ll concede that Chicago is definitely much bigger than Boston. If the latter were as big as the former, you’d expect places like Weston, Lexington, and Andover to look much more like Brighton, Medford, or Arlington. The urban/semi-urban neighborhoods just don’t stretch as far, and that’s a fact.

However, I feel like the “New York” and “in the Middle” voters are wildly underestimating just how big NYC is. Whenever I drive in, I always park in the Bronx in order to take the train in and avoid the bulk of NYC traffic. After parking, just going from one semi-urban neighborhood in of the buroughs to Midtown by subway takes around 1hr. If I was going to downtown Brooklyn from my parking spot or to Hoboken, I’d probably budget at least 1.5hrs into my itinerary for that leg the trip. Chicago’s big, but it’s not THAT big.

*Of course I’m lying here. Stirring the pot is at least 70% of why I keep this account open lol.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City