Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Ottawa vs. Sacramento?
Ottawa 25 51.02%
Sacramento 24 48.98%
Voters: 49. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2020, 07:03 AM

4,147 posts, read 2,958,578 times

Advertisements

Which do you prefer?

I'll give this one to Sacramento, simply because of the weather (Ottawa is COLD!), and it's somewhat cheaper. UC Davis beats University of Ottawa, too. But I actually like Ottawa, as a city, better. Simply more interesting, more vibrant, better public transportation, and better scenery. Ice skating on the Rideau Canal > boating on the American River.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2020, 11:29 AM

10,745 posts, read 23,804,636 times
I went to Ottawa in the fall during great weather and rented an AirBnb for a few nights. Its core around Parliament has charm. I like the Byward Market area, good walking city and lots of interesting museums. It's a medium size city and there are actually farms and rural parts within the city limits. Gatineau Park across the river in the fall was amazing, lots of beautiful lakes up there. It has enough to do to make a weekend out of it, and some museums that I haven't seen that I might back for. It's only two hours to Montreal and about four from Toronto.

I don't know in what way I'd compare Sacramento to Ottawa, two different animals. I'm not very familiar with Sac, honestly have only passed through on I-5. Ottawa isn't a hugely compelling national capital outside of the sphere of Canada, but I never thought of Sacramento being all the impressionable as a city. It kinda has that government town distinction. It's in a sweet spot location wise with easy access to Tahoe and the Bay area.

Old 04-25-2020, 12:10 PM

945 posts, read 563,802 times
Voted for Ottawa. Much more culture and excitement up there.

Sacramento is vanilla suburbia and there are much nicer places in California. It would win on weather only and I can't see myself living there.

Old 04-25-2020, 01:20 PM

2,868 posts, read 2,815,031 times
I've been to both and think they both underperform.

Sacramento's Old Town is immensely tiny and outside of that and the State Capitol, I was having a rough time filling a day of sightseeing. The Downtown is very clean and has some B-list attractions, but nothing to keep you too distracted. There was a buzz around town though and a big protest on the State Capitol steps. The State Capitol, I should add, is stunning and definitely Top Ten.

Ottawa has more sights. I stayed at the Prison Hostel, saw Parliament Hill and the Notre Dame Basilica and the Byward Market area. It has nicer architecture and more museums. But my god was it quiet and dull. Other than the tourists all over Parliament Hill, it was oddly quiet. It's also a pretty ugly city. You could tell it had good urban bones until the 70s when the zoning ran amok. Now you have stunning architecture surrounded by brutalism, and commie-looking structures. Quite ugly.

Weather was way better in Sacramento. Ottawa was cold and rainy. Sacramento, true to form, was sunny and warm.

Old 04-25-2020, 01:51 PM

5,819 posts, read 5,622,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by manitopiaaa View Post
I've been to both and think they both underperform.

Sacramento's Old Town is immensely tiny and outside of that and the State Capitol, I was having a rough time filling a day of sightseeing. The Downtown is very clean and has some B-list attractions, but nothing to keep you too distracted. There was a buzz around town though and a big protest on the State Capitol steps. The State Capitol, I should add, is stunning and definitely Top Ten.

Ottawa has more sights. I stayed at the Prison Hostel, saw Parliament Hill and the Notre Dame Basilica and the Byward Market area. It has nicer architecture and more museums. But my god was it quiet and dull. Other than the tourists all over Parliament Hill, it was oddly quiet. It's also a pretty ugly city. You could tell it had good urban bones until the 70s when the zoning ran amok. Now you have stunning architecture surrounded by brutalism, and commie-looking structures. Quite ugly.

Weather was way better in Sacramento. Ottawa was cold and rainy. Sacramento, true to form, was sunny and warm.
Old Sacramento is only one portion of Downtown Sacramento and the Capitol is right up the street. So really all I get from this post is you didn't really explore other areas of Downtown Sac, let alone other parts of the city...

Old 04-25-2020, 11:32 PM

394 posts, read 597,855 times
I have heard Ottawa called a lot of thing but ugly is certainly not one of them. Ottawa is a truly beautiful city and yes it has it's commie blocks but generally the city is green, clean, tons of parks, gorgeous, grand, and unique architecture, great inner city and character filled neighbourhoods, and the Rideau Canal running right thru the centre. Few cities in NA are even remotely close as being as beautiful as Ottawa.

Old 04-26-2020, 12:42 AM

6,083 posts, read 10,695,817 times
Ottawa looks really nice, but Sacramento for weather and mountains.

Old 04-26-2020, 12:02 PM
BMI

7,454 posts, read 7,268,346 times
Ottawa

Being the national capital it has a lot of really good museums,
including my fave, The War Museum. Unfortunately, unlike DC, they're not free.

Maybe boring compared with Montreal (which is less then 2 hrs down the road),
but holds more interest for me than boring Sacramento.

Yeah, I know Sacramento's climate is better overall but Ottawa has a classic
true four seasons climate ...ice skating on the Rideau Canal in winter,
fantastic fall colors just to the north of the city in Gatineau.

Speaking of Gatineau, that is another cool thing about Ottawa, the province of Quebec
is literally across the river and is about 90% French speaking...so you get to
experience that too, try out your high school french

Last but not least ...Ottawa has the Ottawa River flowing by with rapids
and scenic Rideau Canal ...you can travel by boat from Ottawa to Lake Ontario.

Old 04-26-2020, 02:57 PM

4,147 posts, read 2,958,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMI View Post
Ottawa

Being the national capital it has a lot of really good museums,
including my fave, The War Museum. Unfortunately, unlike DC, they're not free.

Maybe boring compared with Montreal (which is less then 2 hrs down the road),
but holds more interest for me than boring Sacramento.

Yeah, I know Sacramento's climate is better overall but Ottawa has a classic
true four seasons climate ...ice skating on the Rideau Canal in winter,
fantastic fall colors just to the north of the city in Gatineau.

Speaking of Gatineau, that is another cool thing about Ottawa, the province of Quebec
is literally across the river and is about 90% French speaking...so you get to
experience that too, try out your high school french

Last but not least ...Ottawa has the Ottawa River flowing by with rapids
and scenic Rideau Canal ...you can travel by boat from Ottawa to Lake Ontario.
I agree with all of the above. Ottawa is definitely more exciting than Sacramento. I chose Sacramento only just because I don't know how I'd handle the cold in Ottawa. Sacramento is two hours from SF and Ottawa is under 2 hours from Montreal...both SF and Montreal are very interesting cities. But Montreal has more historical charm and a better subway than SF.

How's traffic in Ottawa? Sacramento traffic is better than bigger cities like Seattle and SF but for a city of its size Sacramento traffic is pretty bad. Sacramento light rail is also very inadequate, old, and not well-ridden. Ottawa just got its first electric light rail line and I bet it'll surpass Sacramento's in ridership very soon.

Old 04-27-2020, 07:00 AM

26,875 posts, read 38,010,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrJester View Post
How's traffic in Ottawa? .
Not horrific but probably worse than most people would expect.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City