Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Better foodie city?
San Francisco 48 80.00%
Boston 12 20.00%
Voters: 60. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2020, 03:38 PM

3,862 posts, read 5,286,495 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
I don’t know about San Francisco but probably San Francisco. Boston has a few local spots but they’re hole in the wall or only known around the way, so to speak. They’re great but I feel like SF would have more elite and seasoned chefs doing that whereas in Boston.... it’s very mom and pop.

They mayor has rolled out a plan to introduce 15 minority only liquor license over the course of 3 years. Minority owned restaurants would be the only one to get them at a cost that simply cover administrative fees. 5 licenses will be rolled out per year over 3 years and the licenses are only transferable to other minority owned restaurants. This may increase the number of options for full service ethnic foods in some of the neighborhoods on the south side of the city.

The hope is to give community’s a place to feel proud of and gather, increase economic opportunity for folks, increase tax revenue and increase property values/desirability in the forgotten parts of the city.

https://www.bostonglobe.com/2020/06/...outputType=amp

Right now I can’t think of one BBQ joint in Boston I could have some whiskey at.
Happy to see Boston pushing for those minority owned liquor licenses, excellent move.

Re: Whiskey at a bbq joint in Boston. Sweet cheeks and Smoke shop come to mind. The bbq is actually legit at both places as well and they have good whiskey lists at both.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2020, 04:13 PM

21,628 posts, read 12,733,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by edwardsyzzurphands View Post
Happy to see Boston pushing for those minority owned liquor licenses, excellent move.

Re: Whiskey at a bbq joint in Boston. Sweet cheeks and Smoke shop come to mind. The bbq is actually legit at both places as well and they have good whiskey lists at both.
This is there second (third??) round of such license

Old 06-07-2020, 04:43 PM

3,862 posts, read 5,286,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
This is there second (third??) round of such license
True, but up until now a certain percentage was not set aside specifically for minority owned business. Unless I am mistaken?

If there was ever a time to make that work it would be now when we have some momentum going. All of our social media feeds are filled with “woke” fake rage over this “new” crisis called racism.

Now is time for people and cities to put their money where their mouth is and actually push for policy changes that improve black lives. Not the typical words and talk that we are used to all around North America.

Old 06-07-2020, 05:34 PM

21,628 posts, read 12,733,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by edwardsyzzurphands View Post
True, but up until now a certain percentage was not set aside specifically for minority owned business. Unless I am mistaken?

If there was ever a time to make that work it would be now when we have some momentum going. All of our social media feeds are filled with “woke” fake rage over this “new” crisis called racism.

Now is time for people and cities to put their money where their mouth is and actually push for policy changes that improve black lives. Not the typical words and talk that we are used to all around North America.
I’m hazy in the details I think those were meant to go to underserved neighborhoods but very few of them met their intended targets, I don’t think any restaurant opened at all in Mattapan, one eventually opened on the border of Hyde Park and Roslindale, a very modest taco bar and grill, https://goo.gl/maps/zy33eRH1SsKQrBkJA

A few new ones definitely opened up in JP Roxbury Dorchester.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City