Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which City would you chose for us?
Houston 30 20.41%
Dallas 54 36.73%
Atlanta 63 42.86%
Voters: 147. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2020, 01:10 PM

37,882 posts, read 41,956,856 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Clutch View Post
Outstanding post and I think the fact that Atlanta has long offered so much opportunity for black folks (and, by extension, everyone) is one of its most unique features and selling points.
Absolutely. A city where Black people can do well is going to be a city where all people should be able to do well. But too many people have been conditioned to view it as a zero-sum game, so the relative prosperity of Black people there is resented.

Quote:
A lot of the complaints about politics there seem to be folks almost looking for something to complain about.
Well I will say that the politics of Atlanta are multidimensional on all levels. Within the city, you have the Black elites vs the Black working class and White (affluent) Atlanta vs the rest of the city. Then on the metropolitan/regional level, you have the unofficial dividing line of I-20 with most of the region's substantial economic investment occurring north of that line, particularly along the GA 400 corridor and environs which is where the most affluent neighborhoods and suburbs of the region are located; the most visible expression of this divide has historically been suburban opposition to MARTA rail expansion, most notably in Cobb and Gwinnett counties (the northern Fulton suburbs have been more open to it, presumably because the entire county is within MARTA's coverage area and rail already extends to the northern suburbs, terminating in Sandy Springs). And on the state level, you have Atlanta as the largest city in the state by far vs. the state of Georgia. The dimensions of these political clashes are racial/cultural (Black/White), political/ideological (liberal/Democratic, conservative/Republican), geographical (urban/suburban/exurban/rural), and classist affuent/middle class/working class/poor). All of these things exist to some degree or another in all major cities and metropolitan areas, but the racialized and political aspects are quite amplified in Georgia because Atlanta doesn't drive state politics which is the case in other states dominated by one major metropolitan area.

The affluent, predominantly White (but diversifying), Republican suburban areas are truly caught in the middle between their rural, more socially conservative faction which seems to always be itching to fight new battles in the culture wars and the pro-business faction which may have similar perspectives on social issues but is not interesting in picking fights that could harm the region's business prospects.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2020, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aries4118 View Post
Amen. Another brilliant post, Brother Mute.

(Particularly the bolded and underlined above.)
Much appreciated bro!

Old 05-16-2020, 03:03 PM

4,380 posts, read 4,623,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exult.Q36 View Post
Yeah I saw that video last week. The only gripe I have with the list is that some of the zip codes and burbs on the list don't have the best schools. Putting my child in a good diverse school with a significant amount of Black students is a must. And if it isn't diverse but predominately Black I'm good with that too. Just as long as it's a great school. Also I'm not really into being so far away from the city core. Me and my wife's business depends on going in and out the city weekly. Since we do a lot of networking, event planning, mixers and things of that nature. One of the reasons we can't wait to leave The Woodlands. These 45 min commutes to the city ain't it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by As Above So Below... View Post

Another group that does a lot of what youre saying: whites. This is especially true for white millennials, liberals, and the younger generation. I cannot tell you the number of times Ive heard "Oh my God so many white people" or "this place is too white" or "Im ashamed to be white" among this younger more liberal crowd. Where I get bothered is that I feel so much of it is not because they value diversity but rather they are virtue signaling. Its almost as if to say "Hey, look at me! Im one of the good ones!". It breeds a form of white guilt which I find completely stupid.
I hear comments like that a lot in cities like New Orleans,Austin and SF. I guess that's their way of trying to impress me because I'm Black. Like hey guy we're on the same team. lol Annoying

Old 05-16-2020, 04:20 PM

12,735 posts, read 21,779,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redlionjr View Post
Yeah I saw that video last week. The only gripe I have with the list is that some of the zip codes and burbs on the list don't have the best schools. Putting my child in a good diverse school with a significant amount of Black students is a must. And if it isn't diverse but predominately Black I'm good with that too. Just as long as it's a great school. Also I'm not really into being so far away from the city core. Me and my wife's business depends on going in and out the city weekly. Since we do a lot of networking, event planning, mixers and things of that nature. One of the reasons we can't wait to leave The Woodlands. These 45 min commutes to the city ain't it.

I hear comments like that a lot in cities like New Orleans,Austin and SF. I guess that's their way of trying to impress me because I'm Black. Like hey guy we're on the same team. lol Annoying
From that list, Richmond seems like the best choice for you. Have you thought about Pearland? Pearland is becoming blacker by the minute.

Old 05-16-2020, 07:46 PM

4,380 posts, read 4,623,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBoy205 View Post
From that list, Richmond seems like the best choice for you. Have you thought about Pearland? Pearland is becoming blacker by the minute.
Yeah the unincorporated area of Richmond inside of 99 is at the very top of our list. Even though we’re not big on subdivisions and staying so far out it’s still some good enough amenities nearby like in Katy and Sugar Land. Plus they got the kind of schools we like for our child so definitely on the list.

As far as Pearland, we just can’t do it. They have some nice diverse schools but we just don’t care for the feel of Pearland. And we know there’s a lot of middle class black families there and they do have diversity but it just don’t appeal to us. Especially to my Wife.

Old 05-17-2020, 01:25 PM

16,701 posts, read 29,526,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Much appreciated bro!

Old 05-17-2020, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Absolutely. A city where Black people can do well is going to be a city where all people should be able to do well. But too many people have been conditioned to view it as a zero-sum game, so the relative prosperity of Black people there is resented.

The profundity of the resentment towards Black prosperity is a key factor.

Quote:

Well I will say that the politics of Atlanta are multidimensional on all levels. Within the city, you have the Black elites vs the Black working class and White (affluent) Atlanta vs the rest of the city. Then on the metropolitan/regional level, you have the unofficial dividing line of I-20 with most of the region's substantial economic investment occurring north of that line, particularly along the GA 400 corridor and environs which is where the most affluent neighborhoods and suburbs of the region are located; the most visible expression of this divide has historically been suburban opposition to MARTA rail expansion, most notably in Cobb and Gwinnett counties (the northern Fulton suburbs have been more open to it, presumably because the entire county is within MARTA's coverage area and rail already extends to the northern suburbs, terminating in Sandy Springs). And on the state level, you have Atlanta as the largest city in the state by far vs. the state of Georgia. The dimensions of these political clashes are racial/cultural (Black/White), political/ideological (liberal/Democratic, conservative/Republican), geographical (urban/suburban/exurban/rural), and classist affuent/middle class/working class/poor). All of these things exist to some degree or another in all major cities and metropolitan areas, but the racialized and political aspects are quite amplified in Georgia because Atlanta doesn't drive state politics which is the case in other states dominated by one major metropolitan area.

The affluent, predominantly White (but diversifying), Republican suburban areas are truly caught in the middle between their rural, more socially conservative faction which seems to always be itching to fight new battles in the culture wars and the pro-business faction which may have similar perspectives on social issues but is not interesting in picking fights that could harm the region's business prospects.

It makes politics, especially in Metro Atlanta, fascinating. For several years in the 90s, the U.S. Congressional districts of Newt Gingrich, John Lewis, Cynthia McKinney, and Bob Barr were all contiguous and at the core of the Metro!

Old 05-17-2020, 06:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aries4118 View Post
The profundity of the resentment towards Black prosperity is a key factor.

It makes politics, especially in Metro Atlanta, fascinating. For several years in the 90s, the U.S. Congressional districts of Newt Gingrich, John Lewis, Cynthia McKinney, and Bob Barr were all contiguous and at the core of the Metro!
You know what, I never even considered that...that is really something!

Old 05-17-2020, 09:12 PM

Quote:
You know what, I never even considered that...that is really something!
Yes, it was. They all had national profiles and on were on near-opposite sides of the political spectrum.

Only the very unique politics of Metro Atlanta, as you wrote about above, could produce something like that.

Metro Atlanta:

Birth of MLK...and the Modern KKK.
Control Room of the Civil Rights Movement...and the Cradle of Modern Conservatism and the Tea Party Phenomenon.

Old 05-18-2020, 04:39 AM

23,688 posts, read 9,380,724 times
I would choose Atlanta for you,OP.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City