Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which City would you chose for us?
Houston 30 20.41%
Dallas 54 36.73%
Atlanta 63 42.86%
Voters: 147. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2020, 10:43 AM

4,380 posts, read 4,623,797 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dallasboi View Post
This video bursts a lot of myths about the black communities in Dallas and Houston.

Going by the maps of where these neighborhoods are located.....Houston's black community is no more integrated than the Dallas black community.

All of the black hoods in Houston are on the outskirts just like Dallas.

Another thing I've never grew to understand is when people use the "Dallas black community is more spread out which dilutes the Black experience" spiel.......

Doesn't "SPREAD OUT" mean more blended in to the fabric?

Isn't the opposite of "SPREAD OUT" the direct definition of segregation?....The same exact thing Houstonians mention when bragging on how diverse Houston is?

So lets add it up:

Dallas loses because the black community is spread out...
Dallas also loses because all of the blacks live south of I-30

Houston wins because The black communities are all over Houston...not segrigated to a certain Area.
Houston also wins because (going by mapped locations in the video)Most of the black communities in Houston are all in Southern Harris county.

Million Dollar Question: Does anyone see the Hypocrisy in these goal post moving theories that are relied on to paint an inferior picture of the Black community in Dallas?!!

SO TIME IS DEFINITELY UP for carelessly spewing that Houston has a more desired black community....its simply just not true anymore.....Only because of the simple fact that for the last 5 years more Blacks have chosen Dallas over Houston.......You just can't keep downplaying and ignoring that fact.

And please don't pull the economy card as a flaw for Dallas. Good economies are always a good thing....which is why Houston is trying it's best to diversify it's economy to mimic Dallas'

I guess the thrill is gone for being an oil dominated economy....
I know you think I hate DFW but I don’t so try not to take my assessment as being a hater. I’m probably one of DFW’s biggest non native defenders when it comes to the areas Black perception.

Now this video focused on the richest zip codes with a predominantly Black community in Texas. Because Black America in general is going through Suburbanization more than likely the richest predominantly Black communities will tend to be in the suburbs. The same rule applies for NYC/Atlanta/D.C./Chicago who have a bigger Black population than both Houston and Dallas.

With that said, even though I feel as though Dallas Black culture is underrated and is bridging the gap between Houston as far as a Black cultural experiences. There’s still some differences that sway in favor of Houston. Let me explain.

DFW has more integration in their suburbs moreso than the principal city. Burbs like GP/Arlington/Irving. Best Southwest burbs are more predominantly Black and are similar to Missouri City or Fresno.

Both principle cities have similar segregated neighborhoods. These neighborhoods came about during segregation and integration and we know how White flight followed soon after and for the past 2 decades both principle cities have gone through gentrification in those historical Black and Brown communities.

However Houston does have areas like 3rd Ward that are perfectly situated in the core of Houston. 3rd Ward has commercially hip corridors that can claim a place in the mix of hip neighborhoods throughout the city and it’s still predominantly Black. DFW doesn’t have a 3rd Ward. Also Houston has areas like Alief/Sharpstown/ Gulfton/ West and Southwest Houston that in the principle city. Black culture is present in those areas along with a group of ethnic ppl. All in the principle city. That extends into Fort Bend County which happens to be the most diverse County in Texas. Add in the fact that DFW has more white people than Houston.

Add in the fact that Houston has TSU and PV that are all in the Houston CSA. So even though Houston has spread out Black communities as well there’s also a bigger concentration of those Black communities in the principle city and beyond.

It also helps when your city embraces that culture at least from a marketing stand point. DFW doesn’t do a good job of that. Yeah there’s murals in Deep Ellum OG it’s Black heritage but they don’t put emphasis on that when they market DE.

All in all both cities are good for Black people and I like DFW.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2020, 11:47 AM

3,148 posts, read 2,051,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redlionjr View Post
I know you think I hate DFW but I don’t so try not to take my assessment as being a hater. I’m probably one of DFW’s biggest non native defenders when it comes to the areas Black perception.

Now this video focused on the richest zip codes with a predominantly Black community in Texas. Because Black America in general is going through Suburbanization more than likely the richest predominantly Black communities will tend to be in the suburbs. The same rule applies for NYC/Atlanta/D.C./Chicago who have a bigger Black population than both Houston and Dallas.

With that said, even though I feel as though Dallas Black culture is underrated and is bridging the gap between Houston as far as a Black cultural experiences. There’s still some differences that sway in favor of Houston. Let me explain.

DFW has more integration in their suburbs moreso than the principal city. Burbs like GP/Arlington/Irving. Best Southwest burbs are more predominantly Black and are similar to Missouri City or Fresno.

Both principle cities have similar segregated neighborhoods. These neighborhoods came about during segregation and integration and we know how White flight followed soon after and for the past 2 decades both principle cities have gone through gentrification in those historical Black and Brown communities.

However Houston does have areas like 3rd Ward that are perfectly situated in the core of Houston. 3rd Ward has commercially hip corridors that can claim a place in the mix of hip neighborhoods throughout the city and it’s still predominantly Black. DFW doesn’t have a 3rd Ward. Also Houston has areas like Alief/Sharpstown/ Gulfton/ West and Southwest Houston that in the principle city. Black culture is present in those areas along with a group of ethnic ppl. All in the principle city. That extends into Fort Bend County which happens to be the most diverse County in Texas. Add in the fact that DFW has more white people than Houston.

Add in the fact that Houston has TSU and PV that are all in the Houston CSA. So even though Houston has spread out Black communities as well there’s also a bigger concentration of those Black communities in the principle city and beyond.

It also helps when your city embraces that culture at least from a marketing stand point. DFW doesn’t do a good job of that. Yeah there’s murals in Deep Ellum OG it’s Black heritage but they don’t put emphasis on that when they market DE.

This is the difference to me. There's nothing else like 3rd Ward in Texas - a historic black neighborhood covering a range of incomes, containing one of the nation's largest HBCU's and the city's namesake university, all right in the center of the city. It's a major driver of the city's culture in a way you won't see in Dallas imo. The suburban communities are pretty similar between the two otherwise.

Old 05-21-2020, 11:50 AM

140 posts, read 141,408 times
Quote:

Good points. I think DFW carve out a niche where you can really come as you are and make it for yourself if you're not an entrepreneur or college graduate with so many opportunities in the area for jobs. My sister lived in Atlanta for a little while but moved back to Tennessee. She felt out of place with people always trying to outdo each other and if you're not part of the Greek culture you can feel left out. So if you just working 9 to 5 and want a good place to live and good schools and raise a family DFW may be for you and still have all the amenities of a major city...

Old 05-21-2020, 12:26 PM

4,775 posts, read 8,841,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Clutch View Post
This is the difference to me. There's nothing else like 3rd Ward in Texas - a historic black neighborhood covering a range of incomes, containing one of the nation's largest HBCU's and the city's namesake university, all right in the center of the city. It's a major driver of the city's culture in a way you won't see in Dallas imo. The suburban communities are pretty similar between the two otherwise.
Fort Worth eastside communties of 76120 and 76112 communties probably would be the closet to operating in that manner. It just doesn’t have a HBCU. Also, the historical Fort Worth black community of Stop 6 is going through a transformation with the Cavile Place development being the center piece.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.fox...-hud-grant.amp

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.sta...242236631.html

Old 05-21-2020, 12:42 PM

4,435 posts, read 6,304,590 times
People keep mentioning the marketing of Dallas, it’s specific hoods and even DFW as a whole being better or certain things like black culture aren’t marketed enough...where is all of this marketing everyone is seeing besides me? TV, print, web?! I never see commercials about why someone one should move to Dallas or visit a particular area or attraction. What marketing are we talking about?

I think so much of it is word of mouth from visitors. People come here and see it’s a nice city with a lot going on. Houston may not offer the same first impressions. It has impressive qualities statistically, but average tourists aren’ t going to do a lot of statistical research and just make their judgements based on first impressions.

Old 05-21-2020, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by true_wu View Post
Good points. I think DFW carve out a niche where you can really come as you are and make it for yourself if you're not an entrepreneur or college graduate with so many opportunities in the area for jobs. My sister lived in Atlanta for a little while but moved back to Tennessee. She felt out of place with people always trying to outdo each other and if you're not part of the Greek culture you can feel left out. So if you just working 9 to 5 and want a good place to live and good schools and raise a family DFW may be for you and still have all the amenities of a major city...
I respectfully disagree with that. Me and my Wife moved to Atlanta and was involved in the entertainment industry and social scene in Atlanta. We met a lot of friends through that. A lot of creatives from all different walks of life. And in our experience Atlanta was definitely a come as you are city. You didn’t have to be Greek to be accepted in any social setting. Also the “flashy” side of Atlanta only exist when you look for it. That Love and Hip Hop Atlanta type crowd I rarely ran into when I lived there. I don’t think any major city no matter if it’s Atlanta,Dallas or Houston is that clique-ish. That’s on the individual not the city. And also all 3 have transplants from all over the country. I tell ppl all the time don’t look at tv or rap videos for your depiction of what Atlanta is. The most accurate depiction happens to be the most surreal show about Atlanta which is Atlanta. Atlanta is whatever you make it. And with a city with 2 million Black ppl, you can run into any type of Black crowd and find your tribe.

Old 05-21-2020, 02:31 PM

37,882 posts, read 41,956,856 times
Quote:
And with a city with 2 million Black ppl, you can run into any type of Black crowd and find your tribe.
Precisely. The Black population in metro Atlanta is both large and diverse/well-rounded. It's kinda hilarious that I hear, from different Black people, that Atlanta is too ghetto, too bougie, too gay, too corporate, too flashy, too country, too transplant-dominated, etc. and all at the same time.

Old 05-21-2020, 04:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by R1070 View Post
People keep mentioning the marketing of Dallas, it’s specific hoods and even DFW as a whole being better or certain things like black culture aren’t marketed enough...where is all of this marketing everyone is seeing besides me? TV, print, web?! I never see commercials about why someone one should move to Dallas or visit a particular area or attraction. What marketing are we talking about?

I think so much of it is word of mouth from visitors. People come here and see it’s a nice city with a lot going on. Houston may not offer the same first impressions. It has impressive qualities statistically, but average tourists aren’ t going to do a lot of statistical research and just make their judgements based on first impressions.
Understand, I’m using the term marketing loosely. Houston has a better representation with Black Millennials in large part due to pop culture references. That’s one spectrum of “marketing” I’m referring to. When you have artist like Beyoncé, Solange, Travis Scott or Meg the Stallion that resonates with millennials. And the fact that these artist not only rep Houston in their lyrics but they show you Houston in a stylish way through videos that peaks people’s interest. Also Houston’s Hiphop culture is more mainstream and even in sports the Rockets or Astros embrace the Hiphop culture in the city. So sometimes what comes with that is Houston’s Black culture being displayed alongside a James Harden or whatever when your watching a NBA game or a commercial. Also when you have one of the biggest rappers promoting the city (Houston) and creating festivals for it that get national attention in the Hiphop industry that too resonates with people.

Now as a general tourist Dallas has more to offer than Houston imo. Dallas is geared more towards tourist. DFW has the JFK site/Reunion Tower/ Aquarium/Kyle Warren Park / Six Flags / Arboretum,etc. Houston simply can’t compete in that category. But again the average Black Millennial don’t care about going to those places. Tourist sites are kind of a appetizer for Millennials and especially Black Millennials in general. They’re trying to hit up the trendiest restaurants/ clubs-lounges/ shopping and that’s about it.

And I would say in that category more Black millennials would probably prefer Houston. I mean I can tell you what the average Black millennial is going to do when they get to Houston. They’re gonna get an Airbnb or Hotel in the loop. They’ll hit up the galleria then they’ll hit up a day party in Kirby or Uptown. They’ll go back and chill for a little bit then go out to get a drink at a daiquiri spot, they’ll hit up a club in 3rd Ward/Midtown/Uptown/ Westheimer or Montrose take a pick then they’ll end the night eating at Breakfast Klub or Turkey Leg Hut. Rinse and repeat.

Now I’m not saying Dallas doesn’t offer that, hey so feel Dallas has better and more nightlife to offer if your not needing a complete Black experience. But if you want that Black experience I feel Houston offers more and it’s more concentrated. Most of the areas of interest for Black tourist are in the loop and you don’t have to get on the freeway or sit in traffic to get to these places. The ride from the airport is a B*tch though.

And people believe it or not do go on YouTube when they’re looking for things to do. I’ll give you a perfect example of what I mean about Dallas and Houston marketing and how it goes about attracting certain demographics.

This is VisitDallas YouTube site, notice they included so many different neighborhoods but not one predominantly Black/Hispanic or Asian community to highlight to visitors.

https://youtu.be/6sOnDVuDYz0

https://youtu.be/HfBk5fpjpf4

I posted these 2 because these areas have historical Black communities nearby or in the area along with Brown communities yet no mention of them in these videos. You have Black and Asian host but fail to highlight businesses and history of Ppl of color in those areas.

VisitHouston YouTube:
https://youtu.be/kN-dEf4OU-k
https://youtu.be/RchCZVmbfJk
https://youtu.be/GdDpc1oIdSs

I’m not saying Houston is a racial utopia cause it ain’t but they at least acknowledge Black and Brown communities as the face of the city. Dallas should do a better job of that.

Old 05-21-2020, 06:30 PM

7,132 posts, read 9,136,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Precisely. The Black population in metro Atlanta is both large and diverse/well-rounded. It's kinda hilarious that I hear, from different Black people, that Atlanta is too ghetto, too bougie, too gay, too corporate, too flashy, too country, too transplant-dominated, etc. and all at the same time.
There's a certain subset of the black community that hates cities that are geared or "hyped" to blacks...almost like a self-hatred sort of thing so Atlanta gets a lot of hate from a vocal minority. One of the most popular things I hear is "Atlanta is overcrowded", but they never say this about LA, Chicago, Dallas, Houston, Miami which all have larger populations and are denser metros. What they really mean is "There's too many black people" and a lot of people like to be the "black token". They hate seeing other blacks succeed and there's a lot of black success in Atlanta...creativity among African Americans shines in Atlanta that it quite doesn't anywhere else today. It used to be NYC, Chicago, and LA, but it seems like the creativity among blacks in those cities has waned.

Don't get me wrong though. Atlanta is not a perfect city for Black people and it has it's fault, but there's nothing quite like it when it comes to the diversity of the type of black people it has. People do come here to work hard to "make it" and that can be very threatening to "those types of black people".

EDIT: I also want to add that because so much of the creative type of African Americans move down to Atlanta, there's going to be a lot of success and failures among those people and those who do fail to make it are the ones who speak out the most against the city.

Old 05-21-2020, 06:38 PM

7,132 posts, read 9,136,869 times
Quote:
Understand, I’m using the term marketing loosely. Houston has a better representation with Black Millennials in large part due to pop culture references. That’s one spectrum of “marketing” I’m referring to. When you have artist like Beyoncé, Solange, Travis Scott or Meg the Stallion that resonates with millennials. And the fact that these artist not only rep Houston in their lyrics but they show you Houston in a stylish way through videos that peaks people’s interest. Also Houston’s Hiphop culture is more mainstream and even in sports the Rockets or Astros embrace the Hiphop culture in the city. So sometimes what comes with that is Houston’s Black culture being displayed alongside a James Harden or whatever when your watching a NBA game or a commercial. Also when you have one of the biggest rappers promoting the city (Houston) and creating festivals for it that get national attention in the Hiphop industry that too resonates with people.

Now as a general tourist Dallas has more to offer than Houston imo. Dallas is geared more towards tourist. DFW has the JFK site/Reunion Tower/ Aquarium/Kyle Warren Park / Six Flags / Arboretum,etc. Houston simply can’t compete in that category. But again the average Black Millennial don’t care about going to those places. Tourist sites are kind of a appetizer for Millennials and especially Black Millennials in general. They’re trying to hit up the trendiest restaurants/ clubs-lounges/ shopping and that’s about it.

And I would say in that category more Black millennials would probably prefer Houston. I mean I can tell you what the average Black millennial is going to do when they get to Houston. They’re gonna get an Airbnb or Hotel in the loop. They’ll hit up the galleria then they’ll hit up a day party in Kirby or Uptown. They’ll go back and chill for a little bit then go out to get a drink at a daiquiri spot, they’ll hit up a club in 3rd Ward/Midtown/Uptown/ Westheimer or Montrose take a pick then they’ll end the night eating at Breakfast Klub or Turkey Leg Hut. Rinse and repeat.

Now I’m not saying Dallas doesn’t offer that, hey so feel Dallas has better and more nightlife to offer if your not needing a complete Black experience. But if you want that Black experience I feel Houston offers more and it’s more concentrated. Most of the areas of interest for Black tourist are in the loop and you don’t have to get on the freeway or sit in traffic to get to these places. The ride from the airport is a B*tch though.

And people believe it or not do go on YouTube when they’re looking for things to do. I’ll give you a perfect example of what I mean about Dallas and Houston marketing and how it goes about attracting certain demographics.

This is VisitDallas YouTube site, notice they included so many different neighborhoods but not one predominantly Black/Hispanic or Asian community to highlight to visitors.

https://youtu.be/6sOnDVuDYz0

https://youtu.be/HfBk5fpjpf4

I posted these 2 because these areas have historical Black communities nearby or in the area along with Brown communities yet no mention of them in these videos. You have Black and Asian host but fail to highlight businesses and history of Ppl of color in those areas.

VisitHouston YouTube:
https://youtu.be/kN-dEf4OU-k
https://youtu.be/RchCZVmbfJk
https://youtu.be/GdDpc1oIdSs

I’m not saying Houston is a racial utopia cause it ain’t but they at least acknowledge Black and Brown communities as the face of the city. Dallas should do a better job of that.
When I think of Dallas, I don't think of black history at all....I don't think they were ever big into the Civil Rights movement and I never thought they had important historically black neighborhoods where history was made. Hell, I can't even think of Latino or Asian history in that city. It probably exists, but when we think of Dallas, we probably think NFL Cowboys, Cowboy hats and boots, and the Dallas tv show, which had a nearly all white cast. No rapper ever mentions Dallas in their videos and I can't think of any important black people coming from Dallas.

Houston on the hand seems to have a lot of Latino and Black history. Lots of Black rappers/singers come from Houston(Beyonce being a very popular one) and it's not immediately thought of as a city of white American culture only like Dallas. It's very diverse.

I definitely think Houston wins on the idea that Houston feels more important to black culture than Dallas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City