Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which City would you chose for us?
Houston 30 20.41%
Dallas 54 36.73%
Atlanta 63 42.86%
Voters: 147. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2020, 10:52 AM

12,735 posts, read 21,774,364 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redlionjr View Post
Yeah the unincorporated area of Richmond inside of 99 is at the very top of our list. Even though we’re not big on subdivisions and staying so far out it’s still some good enough amenities nearby like in Katy and Sugar Land. Plus they got the kind of schools we like for our child so definitely on the list.

As far as Pearland, we just can’t do it. They have some nice diverse schools but we just don’t care for the feel of Pearland. And we know there’s a lot of middle class black families there and they do have diversity but it just don’t appeal to us. Especially to my Wife.
What’s wrong with Spring? It reminds me of Richmond with lots of trees!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2020, 11:41 AM

4,379 posts, read 4,621,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBoy205 View Post
What’s wrong with Spring? It reminds me of Richmond with lots of trees!
1. Spring isn’t zoned to any specific schools I would like my child to attend. Spring ISD isn’t the best and the good schools in Klein are predominantly white. Like I stated before I prefer my child go to a good diverse school with a black demographic well over 15%. I know that limits my options of areas but Richmond and Ft.Bend has schools that fit that criteria.

2. Spring is lacking when it comes to amenities and non chain establishments. Don’t get me wrong, Richmond is very similar in that regards but I like their options a lot better. Granted Spring is next to The Woodlands and the Waterway/market is something I truly enjoy but options are limited as far as the Northside in between TW and The Heights for what I’m interested in lifestyle wise.

3. Commute time to job is longer.

Old 05-18-2020, 11:57 AM

12,735 posts, read 21,774,364 times
Quote:
1. Spring isn’t zoned to any specific schools I would like my child to attend. Spring ISD isn’t the best and the good schools in Klein are predominantly white. Like I stated before I prefer my child go to a good diverse school with a black demographic well over 15%. I know that limits my options of areas but Richmond and Ft.Bend has schools that fit that criteria.

2. Spring is lacking when it comes to amenities and non chain establishments. Don’t get me wrong, Richmond is very similar in that regards but I like their options a lot better. Granted Spring is next to The Woodlands and the Waterway/market is something I truly enjoy but options are limited as far as the Northside in between TW and The Heights for what I’m interested in lifestyle wise.

Gotcha. I can see that. I like the scenery in Spring much better. Richmond will suffice because it does have a large black population is growing by leaps and bounds. They are getting alotta black owned businesses out that way too.

Old 05-18-2020, 12:48 PM

8,333 posts, read 5,492,671 times
Quote:

I was actually going ask what is the minimum black population in a school you would accept.

And agreed on Spring. Schools are rated lower than most HISD schools. Agreed on Pearland too. There’s ethnic diversity and the schools are decent but as a suburb it’s very lackluster. If I was looking for a more black suburb I’d rather be in Missouri City. It’s more multidimensional.

But this is all academic. Your answer is Atlanta.

Old 05-20-2020, 12:58 PM

1,296 posts, read 1,218,629 times
Quote:
I’ve met people from Houston that prefer Dallas because they’re tired of Houston. Most of the people I’ve met who are tired of Houston mostly prefer Atlanta. However, I do hear a lot of DC thrown around in the conversations too.

I’ve met many people from Dallas who live here that like Houston and say that many people in Dallas always want to move to Houston. I do have several Dallas friends in my circles who went to PV or TSU, so about 70% of my Dallas friends have been in Houston since college. I had a friend who went PV and worked with me at Chevron who said that she dreamed of moving to Houston, but she was let down because it reminded her of a blacker Dallas. Whatever that meant.

I do know transplants that moved to Houston then moved to Dallas. Most of them hate Dallas because it doesn’t offer the cultural things that Houston offers. I talked to one of my Ohio friends today who moved to Dallas from Houston; he likes Dallas, but he prefers Houston because he said that he has to search for the culture in Dallas. On the other hand, I know my friend’s mom, sister, and step dad moved to Houston from Louisiana; they stayed here for a year. The mom HATED Houston, so they moved to Dallas. She likes Dallas MUCH better because she felt that Houston had too many black people (sad, I know), and it was too big for her. I had a friend from St. Louis who moved to Houston, then to Dallas; she likes Dallas better too. She felt that people in Houston were too Hollywood, and she felt that Houston was too black for her.
Quote:
The comments about Houston’s being too black were mind boggling. They screamed self-hatred.

So what you're saying is that a lot of Black people who move to Dallas tend to be the type of black folks who hate being around other black people? Maybe that's one of the reasons why a lot of black people from places like Houston, ATL, or the DMV talk about the lack of a cohesive black social scene in the area...

Old 05-20-2020, 02:04 PM

140 posts, read 141,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by biscuit_head View Post
So what you're saying is that a lot of Black people who move to Dallas tend to be the type of black folks who hate being around other black people? Maybe that's one of the reasons why a lot of black people from places like Houston, ATL, or the DMV talk about the lack of a cohesive black social scene in the area...
Wow lol, I live in the Dallas area and realized realize that is what always turns me off a little bit about the Atlanta or Houston area. I have visited Houston many times and have family in Atlanta but sometimes you want a middle ground between the overly woke people and the very ratchet. Just my opinion...

Old 05-20-2020, 03:05 PM

1,092 posts, read 1,504,039 times
Quote:
Yeah the unincorporated area of Richmond inside of 99 is at the very top of our list. Even though we’re not big on subdivisions and staying so far out it’s still some good enough amenities nearby like in Katy and Sugar Land. Plus they got the kind of schools we like for our child so definitely on the list.

As far as Pearland, we just can’t do it. They have some nice diverse schools but we just don’t care for the feel of Pearland. And we know there’s a lot of middle class black families there and they do have diversity but it just don’t appeal to us. Especially to my Wife.

I'm really familiar with Richmond. They've even expanded U.S. 59/I-69 now in that area to relieve traffic going towards Rosenberg. It used to be an area that got pretty congested for being suburbia.

You'll love the Richmond area, it's really up and coming. The only downside I've found being that further out is that you're a bit further from both Airports but that's probably not a huge priority on most people's list when choosing an area.

Old 05-20-2020, 03:25 PM

8,333 posts, read 5,492,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by true_wu View Post
Wow lol, I live in the Dallas area and realized realize that is what always turns me off a little bit about the Atlanta or Houston area. I have visited Houston many times and have family in Atlanta but sometimes you want a middle ground between the overly woke people and the very ratchet. Just my opinion...
Taking race out of the equation, I can understand this between Dallas and Houston. A lot of times people will ask which is more liberal/conservative on this board. I always say Dallas is both more liberal and more conservative than Houston. Houston is less race conscious but Dallas is wayyyy more LGBT friendly. Dallas is also far more likely to make policies to protect the environment but Houston is less religious.

Just depends on the issue...

Old 05-21-2020, 01:29 AM

5,673 posts, read 7,450,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exult.Q36 View Post
This video bursts a lot of myths about the black communities in Dallas and Houston.

Going by the maps of where these neighborhoods are located.....Houston's black community is no more integrated than the Dallas black community.

All of the black hoods in Houston are on the outskirts just like Dallas.

Another thing I've never grew to understand is when people use the "Dallas black community is more spread out which dilutes the Black experience" spiel.......

Doesn't "SPREAD OUT" mean more blended in to the fabric?

Isn't the opposite of "SPREAD OUT" the direct definition of segregation?....The same exact thing Houstonians mention when bragging on how diverse Houston is?

So lets add it up:

Dallas loses because the black community is spread out...
Dallas also loses because all of the blacks live south of I-30

Houston wins because The black communities are all over Houston...not segrigated to a certain Area.
Houston also wins because (going by mapped locations in the video)Most of the black communities in Houston are all in Southern Harris county.

Million Dollar Question: Does anyone see the Hypocrisy in these goal post moving theories that are relied on to paint an inferior picture of the Black community in Dallas?!!

SO TIME IS DEFINITELY UP for carelessly spewing that Houston has a more desired black community....its simply just not true anymore.....Only because of the simple fact that for the last 5 years more Blacks have chosen Dallas over Houston.......You just can't keep downplaying and ignoring that fact.

And please don't pull the economy card as a flaw for Dallas. Good economies are always a good thing....which is why Houston is trying it's best to diversify it's economy to mimic Dallas'

I guess the thrill is gone for being an oil dominated economy....

Last edited by dallasboi; 05-21-2020 at 01:40 AM.. Reason: i

Old 05-21-2020, 07:52 AM

4,775 posts, read 8,839,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dallasboi View Post
This video bursts a lot of myths about the black communities in Dallas and Houston.

Going by the maps of where these neighborhoods are located.....Houston's black community is no more integrated than the Dallas black community.

All of the black hoods in Houston are on the outskirts just like Dallas.

Another thing I've never grew to understand is when people use the "Dallas black community is more spread out which dilutes the Black experience" spiel.......

Doesn't "SPREAD OUT" mean more blended in to the fabric?

Isn't the opposite of "SPREAD OUT" the direct definition of segregation?....The same exact thing Houstonians mention when bragging on how diverse Houston is?

So lets add it up:

Dallas loses because the black community is spread out...
Dallas also loses because all of the blacks live south of I-30

Houston wins because The black communities are all over Houston...not segrigated to a certain Area.
Houston also wins because (going by mapped locations in the video)Most of the black communities in Houston are all in Southern Harris county.

Million Dollar Question: Does anyone see the Hypocrisy in these goal post moving theories that are relied on to paint an inferior picture of the Black community in Dallas?!!

SO TIME IS DEFINITELY UP for carelessly spewing that Houston has a more desired black community....its simply just not true anymore.....Only because of the simple fact that for the last 5 years more Blacks have chosen Dallas over Houston.......You just can't keep downplaying and ignoring that fact.

And please don't pull the economy card as a flaw for Dallas. Good economies are always a good thing....which is why Houston is trying it's best to diversify it's economy to mimic Dallas'

I guess the thrill is gone for being an oil dominated economy....
I feel you. Some of these posters are over 40, so that explains there outdated feelings. Honestly it’s one poster in particular that loves to bring up this topic because to him it’s us vs them, which is actually in its self a form of self hate. My black population is better than your black population is regressive in nature and does nothing to uplift the black dispora. Both metros are great places for black people to thrive and grow.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City