Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which City would you chose for us?
Houston 30 20.41%
Dallas 54 36.73%
Atlanta 63 42.86%
Voters: 147. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2020, 11:42 PM

4,775 posts, read 8,839,439 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 35KFT View Post
Wrong.

Drake, Nicki Minaj, Future, Lil B, Post Malone, Baby Boy Da Prince, Lloyd Banks, J. Cole, Isaiah Rashad, and Offset (Migos) all give shoutouts to both the city of Dallas and the Dallas Mavericks.

Moreover, Eryka Badu, Dallas native, record producer, and leader in the R&B genre, was given a shoutout by Lil Wayne in the 2008 rap hit, “A Milli”.
Right, and Yella Beezy and Trap Boy Freddy are both from Dallas and rep it to the fullest. Yella Beezy “Thats on me” remix paid homage to Dallas. Hell little Bossie had a whole verse reppin about Dallas hoods.These kats on here are behind time and don’t know what the hell there talking about. That’s on me Remix has over a 164 million on youtube.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=s8QSTerhk8E
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2020, 11:47 PM

12,735 posts, read 21,774,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by R1070 View Post
Unfortunately, many of the historic minority neighborhoods surrounding DT Dallas were in high demand areas and have been redeveloped to the point of not looking much like their former selves at all. Deep Ellum has the most buildings left of these areas, but has been modified so much over the decades, it’s not the same place.
Deep Ellum, the same place that didn’t want clubs to play rap music at point, was black owned? Wow! Reminds me of Washington Ave.

Old 05-21-2020, 11:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBoy205 View Post
Deep Ellum, the same place that didn’t want clubs to play rap music at point, was black owned? Wow! Reminds me of Washington Ave.
Third Ward the same place thats being gentrified because black people are selling there homes to white people.

Old 05-22-2020, 12:41 AM

4,379 posts, read 4,621,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exult.Q36 View Post
Third Ward the same place thats being gentrified because black people are selling there homes to white people.
I mean I get why you responded the way you did but 3rd Ward gentrification is not necessarily because Black people are selling their homes to white people. Gentrification is the same in every city across the board and it has less to do with Blacks selling their homes. Not to mention that 3rd Ward is still predominantly Black and has a plethora of Black owned businesses throughout the Ward. Matter fact Black businesses started booming back in the community before covid-19. Don’t know what will become of those businesses after all this is over though.

Old 05-22-2020, 12:42 AM

4,209 posts, read 4,744,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Precisely. The Black population in metro Atlanta is both large and diverse/well-rounded. It's kinda hilarious that I hear, from different Black people, that Atlanta is too ghetto, too bougie, too gay, too corporate, too flashy, too country, too transplant-dominated, etc. and all at the same time.
This is the correct assessment. You can be whoever you want in Atlanta and there's no pressure to fit into one particular culture. I feel like it's one of the only places in America where you can truly feel free as a black person. I'd be totally different if I grew up anywhere else. There just isn't a sense of assimilation here because black people are everywhere and we dominate most spaces here. I've never felt like a minority until I left for college.

Old 05-22-2020, 01:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redlionjr View Post
I mean I get why you responded the way you did but 3rd Ward gentrification is not necessarily because Black people are selling their homes to white people. Gentrification is the same in every city across the board and it has less to do with Blacks selling their homes. Not to mention that 3rd Ward is still predominantly Black and has a plethora of Black owned businesses throughout the Ward. Matter fact Black businesses started booming back in the community before covid-19. Don’t know what will become of those businesses after all this is over though.
I responded like that because he’s a clown and gets on my last damn nerves. He ruins every damn thread with his stupidity. He is a very divisive person that talks about his displeasure with self-hate but spews it constantly.

Old 05-22-2020, 04:23 AM

12,735 posts, read 21,774,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exult.Q36 View Post
I responded like that because he’s a clown and gets on my last damn nerves. He ruins every damn thread with his stupidity. He is a very divisive person that talks about his displeasure with self-hate but spews it constantly.
Thank you for giving me power. I get a kick out of you and others who get offended by my saying the same things others say. Everyone says the same thing about Houston, DFW, and Atlanta; when I say something, it’s a problem.

Off the record, I’m not going to lie about saying crazy things about Atlanta; however, Atlanta is a beast in its own right, and I totally respect it! When it comes to Dallas, I’ve been several times, and it just isn’t my cup of tea; it’s the same cup of tea that ruffles other blacks’ feathers. In fact, I wanted to move to Dallas before Houston, but people were telling me that Houston had more black culture, and I decided to move here, instead.

For you to ignorantly rebut my point about Deep Ellum with Third Ward’s gentrification was very off-putting. My response was sincerely intuitive, when the poster said that Deep Ellum was once black. It was shocking because there was a time when that area didn’t want or allow clubs to play rap music; there was an article about that posted on CD during a discussion similar to this one. No, I’m not pulling these things outta my behind.

Deep Ellum, from its former black life perspective, reminds me of Washington Ave and 1st Ward in Houston, which were predominantly black and still have historical black churches and graves intertwined with the white nightlife.

Self hate? Me? No way. Don’t confuse me with the experiences of the people close to me who moved to Dallas because Houston was too black for them. I love my people, but the general consensus is always in favor of Houston compared to Dallas, due to reasons that have been discussed over and over and over again across several platforms and conversations.

Also, Third Ward is being gentrified, but it’s not nearly as fast as other places across the country. Several black owned businesses are moving into the area. The Turkey Leg Hut is bringing 4 new businesses to Emancipation and Wheeler. Several black residents are moving into the area, becoming owners of those townhomes; most of those developments have a black plurality, which puts on a bandage on the effects of the gentrification. Third Ward is home to one of the largest, if not the largest, HBCUs in the country, and TSU’s influences are not going anywhere, especially since it’s expanding. There are several initiatives to keep Third Ward’s culture and history intact in the midst of changes. The area definitely reminds me of a Harlem in the south, as far as culture. And let’s not forget the area of Third Ward across 288 along Almeda with its black main street feel and influence; it’s lined with NEW black owned businesses in the forms of restaurants, clubs, bars, gyms, retailers, insurance businesses, etc.

Old 05-22-2020, 05:21 AM

2,096 posts, read 1,027,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dallasboi View Post
This video bursts a lot of myths about the black communities in Dallas and Houston.

Going by the maps of where these neighborhoods are located.....Houston's black community is no more integrated than the Dallas black community.

All of the black hoods in Houston are on the outskirts just like Dallas.

Another thing I've never grew to understand is when people use the "Dallas black community is more spread out which dilutes the Black experience" spiel.......

Doesn't "SPREAD OUT" mean more blended in to the fabric?

Isn't the opposite of "SPREAD OUT" the direct definition of segregation?....The same exact thing Houstonians mention when bragging on how diverse Houston is?

So lets add it up:

Dallas loses because the black community is spread out...
Dallas also loses because all of the blacks live south of I-30

Houston wins because The black communities are all over Houston...not segrigated to a certain Area.
Houston also wins because (going by mapped locations in the video)Most of the black communities in Houston are all in Southern Harris county.

Million Dollar Question: Does anyone see the Hypocrisy in these goal post moving theories that are relied on to paint an inferior picture of the Black community in Dallas?!!

SO TIME IS DEFINITELY UP for carelessly spewing that Houston has a more desired black community....its simply just not true anymore.....Only because of the simple fact that for the last 5 years more Blacks have chosen Dallas over Houston.......You just can't keep downplaying and ignoring that fact.

And please don't pull the economy card as a flaw for Dallas. Good economies are always a good thing....which is why Houston is trying it's best to diversify it's economy to mimic Dallas'

I guess the thrill is gone for being an oil dominated economy....
Its not just about growth. Growth will happen as long as there good jobs available.

Spread out can also mean its multiple areas where large blacks are but doesnt necessarily mean integrated.I read that as its spread out so there is hard to have a significant "community".
Community in Atlanta is spread out but its significant everywhere.

Houston has generally been better at developing minority entrepreneurs.
Houston does have a significant more number of minority owned businesses than Dallas.
There just seems to be more of a black presence in the multi layers of society than Dallas but of course thats changing fast.I just wouldnt say its quite there already.If things keep as they are then yes within a few years i think Dallas will have more places where blacks represent

Old 05-22-2020, 06:50 AM

4,379 posts, read 4,621,029 times
Dallas might not have a Black cultural experience on the level of Houston or Atlanta but it has enough for me to enjoy it. I’ve been to DFW enough times and have family and friends there to be satisfied enough. Plus not every city has to offer the amount of cultural experiences that a Atlanta or a D.C. does. It’s not like Dallas is Austin. And to be honest if Austin had a couple more Black people or atleast a percentage of 12% I’d probably choose Austin over both Houston and Dallas if I wanted to stay in Texas.

With that said imo Dallas is a top 10 city for Black people and it’s growing. Im at a point in my life where my main focus is family and career. I’m pretty much over the whole going out every other weekend stage, plus even when the virus is over I won’t be that into social settings unless it involves family and my career.

Old 05-22-2020, 06:50 AM

2,096 posts, read 1,027,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by true_wu View Post
Good points. I think DFW carve out a niche where you can really come as you are and make it for yourself if you're not an entrepreneur or college graduate with so many opportunities in the area for jobs. My sister lived in Atlanta for a little while but moved back to Tennessee. She felt out of place with people always trying to outdo each other and if you're not part of the Greek culture you can feel left out. So if you just working 9 to 5 and want a good place to live and good schools and raise a family DFW may be for you and still have all the amenities of a major city...
I keep hearing this and I know blacks in Atlanta are all about "the scene".
Of course that what makes Atlanta so unique. Ive lived in Atlanta for more than a decade. Ive NEVER been a part of that seen and the black friend I do are a mixed bag.Some are some arent Most of then grew up in the Atlanta suburbs like me where diversity is all around you.
People go there looking for it and expecting it. Your sister had to know that was a biart of the allure of Atlanta for many blacks but she was let down because thats what she chose to be around because she didnt know any better.
Its simple : if you go to a swanky upscale black club or restaurant,what do you expect to find?
I can guarantee you if you move to the Westend its going to be different than Cascade . Buckhead black (or white)crowd is a crowd I avoid and have no problems doing so.
Its filled with the Cristal types. Is that a thing still?
Shows how much I know.lol
Clayton County blacks will be more average middle class blacks than those in parts of Southwest Delkab in some very swanky established black neighborhoods that have been around as long as some of those in downtown Atlanta.
Carrolton blacks vs Marietta blacks will be more low key and like most other groups as well so on. Your(your sisters actually) statement is just not reality at all.

You cant have a big House music or Afro Punk festival if mostly Greek types or ballers are mainly here.
Look at the people in this video. You see a mostly black crowd that is not seen wearing Gucci this or Versace You see eclectic styles and dancing that is way out of black mainstream style of dressing in the house scene.
I hate to say it but the "Hotep" scene represents in force. Especially in the Westend as well as the Rastafarians as well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oiPMy6JKtsA

Here is another video of another annual festival in Atlanta: Afropunk. Again an even more eclectic black crowd

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G77S06wHL78

You have resturants that have been around for over a decade that is owned and caters to black vegans.The whole area in the Westend .
Atlanta is the Southern version of Philly in regard to its alternative black /Neo soul community.
Agebra Bissett,India Arie,Avery Sunshine,Donnie,Anthony David,Janelle Monet etc came from the scene in Atlanta. A scene still strong today
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City