Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which City would you chose for us?
Houston 30 20.41%
Dallas 54 36.73%
Atlanta 63 42.86%
Voters: 147. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2020, 08:53 AM

2,134 posts, read 2,115,603 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Cities build on their strengths in this regard, and major cities are going to have more than one so they will still attract a wide cross-section of people. For instance, Atlanta's strengths here include being the capital of the 'New South', a prominent Black cultural hub, a large LGBT population, and its Korean population. That's pretty inclusive. With Dallas, it has a lot to draw on given with the things it is well-known for (the show Dallas, the Cowboys, etc) and on the economic front, it is seemingly the new capital of corporate headquarters relocations and expansions which has led to rapid population growth. In any case, cities play to their strengths which is the smart thing to do. You think Miami is concerned about alienating, say, Asians by embracing its status as the Capital of Latin America? It would be dumb to drop something that has worked extremely well for them to chase other groups that probably won't be any more likely to visit or move there anyway.
That's still too one dimensional for Dallas though. There is no reason why it couldn't showcase its diversity, New South characteristics, etc. for its own region. The show Dallas and the Cowboys have little to do with the actual culture of the city.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2020, 09:04 AM

37,875 posts, read 41,904,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by As Above So Below... View Post
Which is interesting in some ways. The ways a lot people are talking about Houston's superiority to Dallas in black culture, the inverse is true for LGBT. The gay community views Dallas as far superior to Houston in nightlife, cultural institutions, and activities. This is ESPECIALLY true for gay men.

It is funny too because my wife and I used to go to gay bars all the time in Dallas. In Houston, it doesnt really seem worth it.
And there's also a racial component to that as well. The Black LGBT community has had its own Pride celebrations almost from the start because they felt excluded from the White-dominated larger LGBT community (the series "Pose" does a great job of depicting this in NYC). So in a way, it makes sense that if Dallas is really the more White-dominated city that it would have a more well-known "mainstream" LGBT scene. Atlanta, on the other hand, has large numbers in both LGBT communities and that doesn't come without the occasional friction which is also somewhat reflective of the city at large.

Old 05-23-2020, 09:07 AM

37,875 posts, read 41,904,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DTXman34 View Post
That's still too one dimensional for Dallas though. There is no reason why it couldn't showcase its diversity, New South characteristics, etc. for its own region. The show Dallas and the Cowboys have little to do with the actual culture of the city.
I don't know what Dallas's actual marketing strategy is; I was just naming things it has to draw on to attract visitors and residents. And it's not like they are hurting in any way when it comes to this. It doesn't reallly matter if the show Dallas or the Cowboys have anything to do with the culture of the city since people aren't just settling within the city, but the larger region. And they are coming for jobs first and foremost.

Old 05-23-2020, 09:09 AM

5,673 posts, read 7,448,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redlionjr View Post
First of all, DEEP ELLUM is pretty much an entertainment district with some high end rental properties in the neighborhood. Third Ward is still by and large a predominately RESIDENTIAL Black community with tons of businesses/places of worship/parks/ and cultural institutions catered to people in the community and people outside of the community.

Deep Ellum started going through gentrification in the late 1990s'. But eve back in the 30s to 40s Deep Ellum started to decline and it's prominence as a hot spot for Blues and Black culture went with it. Also is there even one black business in Deep Ellum? The only remains of it's Black historical significance is the fact Malcolm X blvd runs through the neighborhood and a historical marker telling of the history of Blues in the area.

And for the record ANYBODY and EVERYBODY comes into Third Ward. You'll see other groups of people in the area. It's more common than you think. Terrible comparison. You were better off comparing EADO to Deep Ellum.
No.....EADO is not like Deep Ellum... sorry

We get it.....Houstonians wants to have a Deep Ellum...so...they create an area to satisfy that itch.

The History of Deep Ellum is not the same as the Houston district......The Vibe either.
No district in Houston Compares to Deep Ellum.......not one.

Old 05-23-2020, 09:58 AM

1,296 posts, read 1,217,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dallasboi View Post
How?

Most Black people that move to Houston don't even Blink an eye at TSU or PV.

And all of the EDUCATED black populace that move to Houston are ALREADY EDUCATED with degrees from non-HBCU institutions.

People move to different cities to start their life after college.

High school graduates look for the TSU and PV black college experience. They are the ones that would want that black party college life that they would probably be tired of by time they graduate,...so then they move to the city they want to grow in.
Didn't you drop out of TSU because in your words, you were partying too much? You seem bitter that you couldn't hack it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dallasboi
View Post
Correct!!!!...I went to T.S.U for 2 yrs. Got home sick and started f-ing up and came back to Dallas
Just because that was your experience doesn't mean that's everyone's experience there. A lot of people who are focused on their education don't party and drop out like you did.

I know quite a few HBCU graduates who relocated to Houston after they graduated, so obviously, you don't know every graduate who relocated to Houston.

And if you don't know how an HBCU contributes to a black community (producing educated Blacks who contribute to society, catering to low-income/first generation students, cultural events, etc.) , you're a lot more simple minded than I initially thought.

Old 05-23-2020, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by R1070 View Post
I’ve always felt like the “marketing” of Dallas has been very come as you are, there’s something for everyone. Rather than targeting specific groups Which can lead to segregation and feelings of exclusion by other groups.
Yes, we know how much you hated Atlanta because there were too many black people there for you and they didn't worship you as a white man and how much happier you are in Dallas.

Old 05-23-2020, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by biscuit_head View Post
Didn't you drop out of TSU because in your words, you were partying too much? You seem bitter that you couldn't hack it.

Just because that was your experience doesn't mean that's everyone's experience there. A lot of people who are focused on their education don't party and drop out like you did.

I know quite a few HBCU graduates who relocated to Houston after they graduated, so obviously, you don't know every graduate who relocated to Houston.

And if you don't know how an HBCU contributes to a black community (producing educated Blacks who contribute to society, catering to low-income/first generation students, cultural events, etc.) , you're a lot more simple minded than I initially thought.
Thanks for helping me prove my point.

I wanted the Black College party life.....that's why Houston was so attractive to me THEN......

I got tired of it....I could no longer see productive life in Houston.....it was only for partying in my eyes.

Its what made me fall in love with Dallas....AS AN ADULT

I knew i would progress more in Dallas.

............you were saying what?

Old 05-23-2020, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dallasboi View Post
Thanks for helping me prove my point.

I wanted the Black College party life.....that's why Houston was so attractive to me THEN......

I got tired of it....I could no longer see productive life in Houston.....it was only for partying in my eyes.

Its what made me fall in love with Dallas....AS AN ADULT

I knew i would progress more in Dallas.

............you were saying what?

And who’s fault was that? You could’ve done the same thing in Houston if you were more focused on your studies instead of partying. You could’ve focused on finding an internship that would’ve paved the way for your career whether you were in Houston, Dallas, or Honolulu...I understand some people take a longer time to mature as an adult and realize there’s more to life than partying, no matter what city you’re in.

Old 05-23-2020, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by biscuit_head View Post
And who’s fault was that? You could’ve done the same thing in Houston if you were more focused on your studies instead of partying. You could’ve focused on finding an internship that would’ve paved the way for your career whether you were in Houston, Dallas, or Honolulu...I understand some people take a longer time to mature as an adult and realize there’s more to life than partying, no matter what city you’re in.
I agree..

Old 05-23-2020, 10:38 AM

12,735 posts, read 21,769,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
And there's also a racial component to that as well. The Black LGBT community has had its own Pride celebrations almost from the start because they felt excluded from the White-dominated larger LGBT community (the series "Pose" does a great job of depicting this in NYC). So in a way, it makes sense that if Dallas is really the more White-dominated city that it would have a more well-known "mainstream" LGBT scene. Atlanta, on the other hand, has large numbers in both LGBT communities and that doesn't come without the occasional friction which is also somewhat reflective of the city at large.
Preach! Atlanta is looked down upon in this regards, while Dallas is celebrated. Go figure.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City