Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which City would you chose for us?
Houston 30 20.41%
Dallas 54 36.73%
Atlanta 63 42.86%
Voters: 147. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2020, 12:12 AM

12,735 posts, read 21,770,448 times

Advertisements

Last Saturday and yesterday, I had two conversations with male friends about Houston and Dallas and Houston and Atlanta.

One friend moved to Houston from Dallas in November. He hasn’t really explored Houston because he loved during the holidays and due to the pandemic. What he has noticed is that Houston feels blacker than Dallas and is more spread out. He coins the fact that Dallas’s nightlife is more geared towards whites but is more compact than Houston’s. Yes, we have to drive between clubs in Houston. Lol. He felt that Houston was more underdeveloped than Dallas, which reminded me of what irks Spade’s nerves about Houston’s zoning laws. Lol. He says that if Dallas has the black culture and the restaurants in Houston, then it would be perfect for him.

The other friend was telling me how he moved from Atlanta (hometown) to Chicago. He visited Texas a few times and didn’t like Texas at all; he felt that Dallas was whitewashed, and he didn’t want any parts of Houston because a lot of people who knew back in Atlanta were moving to Houston. He felt that Houston was Atlanta’s twin sister and didn’t want to be around the foolishness of Atlanta in Houston. That was quite odd for him to say, but those were his experiences and thoughts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2020, 12:26 AM

Red, I disagree. I don’t think Houston has reached its peak in our community. I still think more people are discovering it.

Old 05-14-2020, 12:57 AM

16,690 posts, read 29,506,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Man, y'all younger Millenials/older Gen Z'ers don't know nothing about real nightlife lol. Y'all are inhereting a more urban American landscape for sure, but it's been at the expense of authentic, hole-in-the-wall nightlife. I was in my nightlife prime during what I would consider to be the last decent years for going out which immediately preceded the takeoff of gentrification and the widespread popularity of social media apps, both of which joined forces with a global recession and the rollback of last-call hours and just radically altered the nightlife scene everywhere.

Y'all have fun tho!

Omg, so true.

Old 05-14-2020, 10:28 AM

4,379 posts, read 4,618,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acntx View Post
A minor correction: The Best Southwest cities are not losing people. Cedar Hill, DeSoto, Lancaster, and Glenn Heights have all continued to attract new residents, businesses, and development. Even Duncanville, which is pretty much built-out, has registered a modest increase in population since the 2010 census. Now isn't the time to write the obituary on the Best Southwest when the region still has potential and opportunities for further investment and growth in the near future.
Well maybe I read world population review stats wrong for Desoto,Lancaster and Cedar Hill cause it look like they were people. Not a lot but it looked that way on the chart that popped up from the site via google. Could be very wrong though.

Old 05-14-2020, 10:34 AM

4,379 posts, read 4,618,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBoy205 View Post
Last Saturday and yesterday, I had two conversations with male friends about Houston and Dallas and Houston and Atlanta.

One friend moved to Houston from Dallas in November. He hasn’t really explored Houston because he loved during the holidays and due to the pandemic. What he has noticed is that Houston feels blacker than Dallas and is more spread out. He coins the fact that Dallas’s nightlife is more geared towards whites but is more compact than Houston’s. Yes, we have to drive between clubs in Houston. Lol. He felt that Houston was more underdeveloped than Dallas, which reminded me of what irks Spade’s nerves about Houston’s zoning laws. Lol. He says that if Dallas has the black culture and the restaurants in Houston, then it would be perfect for him.
The underdeveloped areas especially in the unincorporated parts of Harris County is very very unattractive and is another reason why I prefer the burbs in Ft.Bend compared to Harris County. Don’t get me wrong there is some nice developed communities and even subdivision scattered around the county but these farm roads mixed with shopping centers/ditches and bland subdivisions is a mess to me. Dallas burbs generally look a whole lot better. I’m assuming cause their burbs are real cities and not unincorporated areas so maybe it’s easier to manage. More organized I guess, but that lack of development I believe is also one of the reasons why areas flood so much.

Old 05-14-2020, 09:43 PM

1,637 posts, read 4,104,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redlionjr View Post
Well maybe I read world population review stats wrong for Desoto,Lancaster and Cedar Hill cause it look like they were people. Not a lot but it looked that way on the chart that popped up from the site via google. Could be very wrong though.
No problem

The population estimates from the U.S. Census Bureau show every city in the area gaining population. Other population estimates published at both the state-level (Texas Demographic Center) and local-level (North Central Texas Council of Governments) indicate steady growth as well.

Old 05-15-2020, 07:16 AM

8,323 posts, read 5,484,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redlionjr View Post
The underdeveloped areas especially in the unincorporated parts of Harris County is very very unattractive and is another reason why I prefer the burbs in Ft.Bend compared to Harris County. Don’t get me wrong there is some nice developed communities and even subdivision scattered around the county but these farm roads mixed with shopping centers/ditches and bland subdivisions is a mess to me. Dallas burbs generally look a whole lot better. I’m assuming cause their burbs are real cities and not unincorporated areas so maybe it’s easier to manage. More organized I guess, but that lack of development I believe is also one of the reasons why areas flood so much.
This is very true. The suburbs of DFW are a LOT better than the ones in Houston. The Woodlands and Sugar Land are the only DFW quality burbs in the Houston area. Thats not to say DFW doesnt have some bad surburbs because they do.

Old 05-15-2020, 07:42 AM

1,296 posts, read 1,217,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by As Above So Below... View Post
Well it is ironic.

The black community in DFW is growing noticeably faster than in Houston. If the consensus is that Houston is better for black people, then why are more of them moving to DFW than Houston? Is it the economy? Is Dallas a draw for blacks from specific parts of the US that are losing population more rapidly?

There has to be at least educated guesses to these questions.
You ask this question every time this subject comes up and get the same answers.

Old 05-15-2020, 07:49 AM

8,323 posts, read 5,484,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by biscuit_head View Post
You ask this question every time this subject comes up and get the same answers.
Nope. Ive asked other questions about the difference in community but not this exact one. I couldnt have because the data that shows the black community is DEFINITELY growing faster in DFW just came out recently. Yet the common consensus is that Houston is a better city for African Americans. I went into that same data and looked at birth rates for both and Houston's is higher so its not because more African Americans are being born in DFW. More African Americans are MOVING to DFW than Houston.

So considering the sentiment on this board, it is a valid question as to why the city seen as inferior is the one growing faster among that same demographic. I dont see why you should have a problem with it because you know Im not black. Instead of trying to inject my own opinion, Im asking questions to people who know better than me. I just know what the data says but Im not part of the community.

Old 05-15-2020, 08:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by biscuit_head View Post
Every single time! Lol.

The more blacks and a fastest growing black population don’t necessarily equate to a strong black community. Many posters have told him that many blacks are attracted to DFW’s economy and move there because they almost have to.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City