Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which City would you chose for us?
Houston 30 20.41%
Dallas 54 36.73%
Atlanta 63 42.86%
Voters: 147. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2020, 08:16 AM

8,319 posts, read 5,478,374 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBoy205 View Post
Many posters have told him that many blacks are attracted to DFW’s economy and move there because they almost have to.
Honestly, the later of your sentence cant possibly be the reason for anyone of any race.

Nobody has to move anywhere and DFW is not the only place in the US with a strong economy. Its one of many. Atlanta, Houston, DC, Florida, and California all have strong economies (or at least did prior to COVID). The number of people who HAVE to move to DFW or any other metro area is going to be a tiny fraction of those that choose to move there regardless of race. Forced job relocation is NOT the primary reason people move anyplace. Its a fraction of the whole.

So this notion that most people move a place because they have to is ridiculous.

And yeah, Ive asked questions before about the difference in community. Thankfully there are posters on this board that are actually useful like Redlion and Mutiny.

Last edited by As Above So Below...; 05-15-2020 at 08:34 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2020, 08:28 AM

1,296 posts, read 1,217,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by As Above So Below... View Post
Nope. Ive asked other questions about the difference in community but not this exact one. I couldnt have because the data that shows the black community is DEFINITELY growing faster in DFW just came out recently. Yet the common consensus is that Houston is a better city for African Americans. I went into that same data and looked at birth rates for both and Houston's is higher so its not because more African Americans are being born in DFW. More African Americans are MOVING to DFW than Houston.

So considering the sentiment on this board, it is a valid question as to why the city seen as inferior is the one growing faster among that same demographic. I dont see why you should have a problem with it because you know Im not black. Instead of trying to inject my own opinion, Im asking questions to people who know better than me. I just know what the data says but Im not part of the community.
Fair enough, but you've asked similar questions quite a few times and you've gotten similar answers regarding DFW's more diverse economy and more centralized location compared to Houston as to why the population has grown faster. I don't have a 'problem' per se, just an observation.

Be that as it may, thanks for the explanation, since you really didn't owe me one. A lot of non-blacks like to ask these questions not out of respect, but nefarious reasons, so I admit my defenses are raised, but you do seem to ask out of general curiosity unlike so many others who ask these questions or act like we're zoo animals to be studied constantly under a microscope.

Also, as we know, perception almost always lags behind reality, so although Houston is perceived to be "better," most people will vote with their feet and pocketbooks, and we're definitely seeing that in this Houston/DFW battle.

Quote:

The more blacks and a fastest growing black population don’t necessarily equate to a strong black community. Many posters have told him that many blacks are attracted to DFW’s economy and move there because they almost have to.
Yeah, I personally prefer Houston and Atlanta over Dallas, but when it boils down to economic reasons, I know that Dallas would be best for me and my pocketbook since the economy there is a lot more diverse and there are a hell of a lot more jobs in my field in the Metroplex. If I were to get an offer in Dallas, I'd be a fool to turn it down waiting for an opportunity to fall in my lap in Houston or Atlanta. I'd have to deal with the less robust black social scene (in comparison to HOU and ATL) and figure things out like I would anywhere else.

Speaking of social life, I'm almost 40 now and couldn't care less about going to a club, and I'm an introvert and really don't follow the herd so to speak. Give me a few good friends and some strong cocktails and I'm good. There are other factors about Texas that give me pause since not only am I black, but also gay and somewhat of an agnostic (I'm not out here wearing heels and waving rainbow flags, and mind my business for the most part), and even though DFW and Houston are large cities with people from all walks of life, they're still more conservative and religious metros than where I live now, and it makes me wonder how hard it would be to find my "tribe" and if it would affect me on factors such as career advancement. On paper, Atlanta would be better on paper for those factors alone, but I lived there for a decade and somewhat have a "been there, done that" attitude towards the place. I don't want to be that guy complaining about where I moved to - I recently had to tell off a friend who moved here from Atlanta a year ago and constantly complains that its not a carbon copy of it and doesn't seem to think the DMV is "black" enough If I were to move to Texas, I don't want to be that person, so I've been doing research and due diligence.

...but I digress

Last edited by biscuit_head; 05-15-2020 at 09:08 AM..

Old 05-15-2020, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by biscuit_head View Post
Fair enough, but you've asked similar questions quite a few times and you've gotten similar answers regarding DFW's more diverse economy and more centralized location compared to Houston as to why the population has grown faster. I don't have a 'problem' per se, just an observation.

Be that as it may, thanks for the explanation, since you really didn't owe me one. A lot of non-blacks like to ask these questions not out of respect, but nefarious reasons, so I admit my defenses are raised, but you do seem to ask out of general curiosity unlike so many others who ask these questions or act like we're zoo animals to be studied constantly under a microscope.

Also, as we know, perception almost always lags behind reality, so although Houston is perceived to be "better," most people will vote with their feet and pocketbooks, and we're definitely seeing that in this Houston/DFW battle.

Yeah, I personally prefer Houston and Atlanta over Dallas, but when it boils down to economic reasons, I know that Dallas would be best for me and my pocketbook since the economy there is a lot more diverse and there are a hell of a lot more jobs in my field in the Metroplex. If I were to get an offer in Dallas, I'd be a fool to turn it down waiting for an opportunity to fall in my lap in Houston or Atlanta. I'd have to deal with the less robust black social scene (in comparison to HOU and ATL) and figure things out like I would anywhere else.

Speaking of social life, I'm almost 40 now and couldn't care less about going to a club, and I'm an introvert and really don't follow the herd so to speak. Give me a few good friends and some strong cocktails and I'm good. There are other factors about Texas that give me pause since not only am I black, but also gay and somewhat of an agnostic, and even though DFW and Houston are large cities with people from all walks of life, they're still more conservative and religious metros than where I live now, and it makes me wonder how hard it would be to find my "tribe" and if it would affect me on factors such as career advancement. On paper, Atlanta would be better on paper for those factors alone, but I lived there for a decade and somewhat have a "been there, done that" attitude towards the place. I don't want to be that guy complaining about where I moved to - I recently had to tell off a friend who moved here from Atlanta a year ago and constantly complains that its not a carbon copy of it and doesn't seem to think the DMV is "black" enough If I were to move to Texas, I don't want to be that person, so I've been doing research and due diligence.

...but I digress
I do ask the questions because I like to get opinions from a large sample size. So when it seems like Im asking similar questions sometimes its to get the opinion of posters I havent come across before. There are also people Ive spoken with that do prefer DFW to the other two. I like their thoughts as well. No racial group is a monolith. But I appreciate your articulate response here. Im a data driven person. Im always starting threads about demographics in the C vs. C forum because I like to start conversations.

I can understand your apprehension about moving. Not because I think DFW and Houston would provide you any issue for being a gay agnostic. On the contrary I think you would be just fine in any big city you choose in Texas. Im a Arab Satanist (The Satanic Temple is my jam) but Ive never had any issue because of that. But as an outsider looking in, I can see why one would be worried. Just make sure you visit any place many times before moving if you decide to!

Old 05-15-2020, 01:04 PM

4,377 posts, read 4,617,273 times
Quote:
Every single time! Lol.

The more blacks and a fastest growing black population don’t necessarily equate to a strong black community. Many posters have told him that many blacks are attracted to DFW’s economy and move there because they almost have to.
Believe it or not there are Black people who prefer Dallas over Houston. More than you probably think. Especially when you start talking about family life, Dallas might start looking more favorable than Houston. Hell my Wife likes Dallas better than Houston and she’s a Houstonian. I got 2 friends who are Houstonian who prefer Dallas too. To be fair though, that could be a case of “I been living here my whole life and another city gives me something different”. Because I know plenty of Dallas people who prefer Houston over Dallas.

Bottom line it’s ppl that prefer Dallas and move here because they want. Houston and Dallas are not that farrr apart in what they offer amenity wise. And even though Houston has a more established and concentrated Black community than DFW, it’s not like DFW is like San Francisco or Portland. There’s still enough going on for Black ppl to enjoy what the area has to offer.

Old 05-15-2020, 02:17 PM

8,302 posts, read 5,696,736 times
Quote:
...DFW is not the only place in the US with a strong economy. Its one of many. Atlanta, Houston, DC, Florida, and California all have strong economies (or at least did prior to COVID)...
But of the places with "strong" economies, Dallas does have the largest and most diverse economy in combination with a low COL.

That matters to a lot of people, and for the average working person is a dealbreaker when relocating to places

Old 05-15-2020, 02:24 PM

12,735 posts, read 21,769,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redlionjr View Post
Believe it or not there are Black people who prefer Dallas over Houston. More than you probably think. Especially when you start talking about family life, Dallas might start looking more favorable than Houston. Hell my Wife likes Dallas better than Houston and she’s a Houstonian. I got 2 friends who are Houstonian who prefer Dallas too. To be fair though, that could be a case of “I been living here my whole life and another city gives me something different”. Because I know plenty of Dallas people who prefer Houston over Dallas.

Bottom line it’s ppl that prefer Dallas and move here because they want. Houston and Dallas are not that farrr apart in what they offer amenity wise. And even though Houston has a more established and concentrated Black community than DFW, it’s not like DFW is like San Francisco or Portland. There’s still enough going on for Black ppl to enjoy what the area has to offer.
Lol. I’ve never disputed that.

Old 05-15-2020, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Lol. I’ve never disputed that.
Yes, you did.

You said: "and move there because they almost have to."

That is in direct contradiction with what Redlionjr had to say.

Old 05-15-2020, 03:49 PM

3,142 posts, read 2,043,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redlionjr View Post

I think a lot of it is the bolded. I'd probably say the majority of my born-and-raised black friends from Dallas who still live there prefer Houston. I also have friends in Houston that like Dallas better as well.

In both cases though, their preference is usually based on visiting the city, not living there for the most part.

Old 05-15-2020, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Yes, you did.

You said: "and move there because they almost have to."

That is in direct contradiction with what Redlionjr had to say.
You don’t have a dog in this, and I don’t know why this is so important.

I’ve never disputed that in the comment he reposted.

Old 05-15-2020, 04:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Clutch View Post
I think a lot of it is the bolded. I'd probably say the majority of my born-and-raised black friends from Dallas who still live there prefer Houston. I also have friends in Houston that like Dallas better as well.

In both cases though, their preference is usually based on visiting the city, not living there for the most part.
I’ve met people from Houston that prefer Dallas because they’re tired of Houston. Most of the people I’ve met who are tired of Houston mostly prefer Atlanta. However, I do hear a lot of DC thrown around in the conversations too.

I’ve met many people from Dallas who live here that like Houston and say that many people in Dallas always want to move to Houston. I do have several Dallas friends in my circles who went to PV or TSU, so about 70% of my Dallas friends have been in Houston since college. I had a friend who went PV and worked with me at Chevron who said that she dreamed of moving to Houston, but she was let down because it reminded her of a blacker Dallas. Whatever that meant.

I do know transplants that moved to Houston then moved to Dallas. Most of them hate Dallas because it doesn’t offer the cultural things that Houston offers. I talked to one of my Ohio friends today who moved to Dallas from Houston; he likes Dallas, but he prefers Houston because he said that he has to search for the culture in Dallas. On the other hand, I know my friend’s mom, sister, and step dad moved to Houston from Louisiana; they stayed here for a year. The mom HATED Houston, so they moved to Dallas. She likes Dallas MUCH better because she felt that Houston had too many black people (sad, I know), and it was too big for her. I had a friend from St. Louis who moved to Houston, then to Dallas; she likes Dallas better too. She felt that people in Houston were too Hollywood, and she felt that Houston was too black for her.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City