Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which City would you chose for us?
Houston 30 20.41%
Dallas 54 36.73%
Atlanta 63 42.86%
Voters: 147. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2020, 04:25 PM

8,323 posts, read 5,484,706 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBoy205 View Post
You don’t have a dog in this, and I don’t know why this is so important.

I’ve never disputed that in the comment he reposted.
These two statements are in direct contrast to one another:

"Many posters have told him that many blacks are attracted to DFW’s economy and move there because they almost have to."

"Bottom line it’s ppl that prefer Dallas and move here because they want."

So they either move there because they feel they have to (what you said) or they move there because they want to (what Redlionjr said).

I participate in conversations of similar topics about Latinos, Asians, Whites, as well as my own kind. Im interested in why people view places certain ways and move places. This is not specific to black people. I will continue to be involved in these threads and as long as Im not acting as though I know more or that Im an expert (which Im not), my presence should not bother you. If it does, thats your problem.

Last edited by As Above So Below...; 05-15-2020 at 04:33 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2020, 05:21 PM

4,379 posts, read 4,618,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Clutch View Post
I think a lot of it is the bolded. I'd probably say the majority of my born-and-raised black friends from Dallas who still live there prefer Houston. I also have friends in Houston that like Dallas better as well.

In both cases though, their preference is usually based on visiting the city, not living there for the most part.
True and I totally get it especially in a state with 2 large metropolitan areas that are so similar yet has its noticeable differences.

Coming from Northeast Texas, most have a completely different perspective on the 2 cities. If you ask most Northeast Texas ppl which city would they prefer to live in I would say 70% would say DFW and 30% would go Houston. Now living and visiting are 2 different things. I think most would agree Houston offer a better cultural experience. A more hip and fun cultural experience than DFW. But DFW is easier and just more pleasant to live than Houston based off conversations I’ve had. And when the complaints are 1. Traffic 2. Humidity 3. Too big 4. Flooding 5. Looks dirty

I completely get it on paper. As a city not the cultural experience but the city itself for a lot of ppl I know Dallas just works better than Houston.

Old 05-15-2020, 05:43 PM

4,775 posts, read 8,836,877 times
It’s quite common for people to complain about where they live and say another place is better. Depending on the question and the person there talking to will greatly influence their answer. For example Joe might tell his friend Bob how much he hates Waco because it’s so country. Bob might respond that he hates Waco for the same exact reason. Later in the day Bob meets up with Jill and Jill tells Bob how much she loves the quiet and sophisticated feel of Waco and Bob co-signs and tells her how much he adores the sophistication of Waco.

Last edited by Exult.Q36; 05-15-2020 at 05:57 PM..

Old 05-15-2020, 06:53 PM

12,735 posts, read 21,770,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exult.Q36 View Post
It’s quite common for people to complain about where they live and say another place is better. Depending on the question and the person there talking to will greatly influence their answer. For example Joe might tell his friend Bob how much he hates Waco because it’s so country. Bob might respond that he hates Waco for the same exact reason. Later in the day Bob meets up with Jill and Jill tells Bob how much she loves the quiet and sophisticated feel of Waco and Bob co-signs and tells her how much he adores the sophistication of Waco.
The comments about Houston’s being too black were mind boggling. They screamed self-hatred.

Old 05-15-2020, 06:56 PM

37,877 posts, read 41,910,477 times
Quote:
The mom HATED Houston, so they moved to Dallas. She likes Dallas MUCH better because she felt that Houston had too many black people (sad, I know), and it was too big for her. I had a friend from St. Louis who moved to Houston, then to Dallas; she likes Dallas better too. She felt that people in Houston were too Hollywood, and she felt that Houston was too black for her.
And if we're truthful, a good bit, if not the overwhelming majority, of complaints that Black people who mostly dislike Atlanta express concerning the city usually boil down to some version of "too many Black people" and while we can acknowledge certain shortcomings and room for improvement we have as a people, the harsh truth is that we've internalized the anti-Black narrative that has been a constant theme in some form or another throughout the history of this county just as much as, if not more more than, other groups; this includes the belief that we have to be super exceptional in every way at all times just to meet the basic standard of being civilized and this renders us completely blind to the ways wherein we actually do excel. Besides my affinity for the city that goes way back, one reason why I defend Atlanta and try to bring balance to overly heavy-handed criticisms of the city is because I want to push back against that narrative every chance I get. We can successfully run a major American city (and several of its suburbs) and increase opportunities for Black folks in the process. I'm not going to let people get away after making cheap jabs about the "Atlanta political machine," calling for more oversight, trying to depict it as being more corrupt than the Russian government, etc. when those same folks didn't nearly keep the same energy in years past because it was their tribe benefiting from our oppression. The federal government failed us, the states failed us, but Maynard and Marion were like "Well I can't get everybody everything they're owed but I'm gonna do what I can." Folks been mad ever since but they'll be alright

Old 05-15-2020, 07:07 PM

37,877 posts, read 41,910,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by As Above So Below... View Post
These two statements are in direct contrast to one another:

"Many posters have told him that many blacks are attracted to DFW’s economy and move there because they almost have to."

"Bottom line it’s ppl that prefer Dallas and move here because they want."

So they either move there because they feel they have to (what you said) or they move there because they want to (what Redlionjr said).

I participate in conversations of similar topics about Latinos, Asians, Whites, as well as my own kind. Im interested in why people view places certain ways and move places. This is not specific to black people. I will continue to be involved in these threads and as long as Im not acting as though I know more or that Im an expert (which Im not), my presence should not bother you. If it does, thats your problem.
In real life, there are several considerations one must make when it comes to relocating and we usually wind up moving to a place that gives us a bit of what we want and a bit of what we need, to varying extents. And we should realize that these wants and needs are in many, if not most, cases aren't 100% determined by our actual wants and needs but based on actions of other people who influence our lives and that they can change over time.

Old 05-15-2020, 08:42 PM

12,735 posts, read 21,770,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
And if we're truthful, a good bit, if not the overwhelming majority, of complaints that Black people who mostly dislike Atlanta express concerning the city usually boil down to some version of "too many Black people" and while we can acknowledge certain shortcomings and room for improvement we have as a people, the harsh truth is that we've internalized the anti-Black narrative that has been a constant theme in some form or another throughout the history of this county just as much as, if not more more than, other groups; this includes the belief that we have to be super exceptional in every way at all times just to meet the basic standard of being civilized and this renders us completely blind to the ways wherein we actually do excel. Besides my affinity for the city that goes way back, one reason why I defend Atlanta and try to bring balance to overly heavy-handed criticisms of the city is because I want to push back against that narrative every chance I get. We can successfully run a major American city (and several of its suburbs) and increase opportunities for Black folks in the process. I'm not going to let people get away after making cheap jabs about the "Atlanta political machine," calling for more oversight, trying to depict it as being more corrupt than the Russian government, etc. when those same folks didn't nearly keep the same energy in years past because it was their tribe benefiting from our oppression. The federal government failed us, the states failed us, but Maynard and Marion were like "Well I can't get everybody everything they're owed but I'm gonna do what I can." Folks been mad ever since but they'll be alright
Yes! People always say this about Atlanta. I never understood that.

Old 05-16-2020, 12:12 AM

4,775 posts, read 8,836,877 times

https://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=...&v=Qj-7C6dDDzc

Old 05-16-2020, 01:43 AM

16,690 posts, read 29,506,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Brother Mute, this is such a good post - and spot on.

There is more I'd like to add/comment, but I need to get to sleep. I will just highlight the smart points you made in this post.

Old 05-16-2020, 01:47 AM

16,690 posts, read 29,506,412 times
Quote:
Yes! People always say this about Atlanta. I never understood that.
Indeed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City