Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city has the better downtown/ urban core
Pittsburgh, PA 49 63.64%
Baltimore, MD 28 36.36%
Voters: 77. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2020, 01:16 AM

3,525 posts, read 2,317,651 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KodeBlue View Post
If the Freddie Gray incident never happened, I think Baltimore would be seeing noticable positive changes across the city right now. That S*** happened 5 years ago and we've been stuck in a rut ever since.
The city would have definitely have been in a better spotlight right now

Quote:
Originally Posted by murksiderock View Post
Man heeeelllllll no, Pgh's downtown has Bmore in a landslide...
Yeah definitely not a landslide and a case can be made for either. I personally feel Pittsburgh has the better downtown but not because Baltimore's is inherently "bad" but due to the city becoming more and more decentralized as adjacent neighborhoods boom and pull all the activity away from it.

Quote:
All of these cultural activities you say are in Downtown Bmore, are also in Downtown Pgh, but more easily noticeable---->DTPgh has the downtown of a city significantly larger than what it actually is. When you're out about the cities, it becomes apparent Bmore is larger, but downtown specifically, Pgh has tighter structural density, more people on the street, and as someone else mentioned serves as more of the center of Pgh, than downtown does for Bmore. I dont get your point about mass transit accessibility, there are four subway stations in DTPgh and the city-defined downtown is only 0.6m² as is...
Regarding the geography. DT Baltimore is the same geographic size as Pittsburgh's at 0.61m². So no, Pittsburgh is probably no more structurally dense.

Despite being seamlessly connected on an urban level and having high-rises/skyscrapers, Mount Vernon, Little Italy, Harbor East/Point are not part of DT Baltimore and if they were this thread would have been a landslide in Baltimore's favor.

DT Baltimore proper has 3 subway stops, 3 Light Rail Stops & MARC so I would not give Pittsburgh the "w" in the transit department, let alone if we included the above bordering neighborhoods.

Quote:
This isn't really close. DTPgh is geographically smaller and more compact but is way more active than DTBmore; Pgh certainly has the strongest downtown of any city I've seen below the Top 12 cities, and really has a better downtown than some of those cities...

I agree with the characterization of it as reminiscent of DT Boston; what a unique and special city...
While I feel Pittsburgh has the better downtown, it's way closer than you're making it out to be lol.

Pittsburgh's DT is more uniformly active/evenly spread out for sure due to the centralization of food & retail options. However, it does not have the same sized crowds or people crunches that Baltimore gets during peak.

You are not getting that people crunch in any city outside of NYC, LA, SF, Miami, Chicago, DC, Philly, Boston & Seattle.

Last edited by Joakim3; 05-22-2020 at 02:09 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2020, 03:56 AM

37,877 posts, read 41,910,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joakim3 View Post
Despite being seamlessly connected on an urban level and having high-rises/skyscrapers, Mount Vernon, Little Italy, Harbor East/Point are not part of DT Baltimore and if they were this thread would have been a landslide in Baltimore's favor.
Same goes for Federal Hill although it's a bit more apparent since it doesn't border the CBD.

Old 05-22-2020, 04:26 AM

3,525 posts, read 2,317,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Same goes for Federal Hill although it's a bit more apparent since it doesn't border the CBD.
The funny thing about all this is Baltimore is in the midst of literally building another downtown a mile south at Port Covington

Time to join the multi-CBD club

Old 05-22-2020, 05:32 AM

2,323 posts, read 1,559,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joakim3 View Post
Lower crime rates, slice the property tax in half and change the business climate attract/retain businesses/startups (MD as a whole needs to fix that one).

Those 3 things would literally fix 95% of the cities issues. The city already has the underlying foundations to boom hard, it just needs it's ducks in a row
Yep, and boom quickly too. Baltimore ain't no Detroit here, Bajan showed a nice Baltimore neighborhood in another thread and a post here already mentioned another CBD in the works. Baltimore will certainly bounce back, Kode.

Old 05-22-2020, 01:46 PM

527 posts, read 319,742 times
Pittsburgh for the actual CBD, but Balitmore has a clear edge for the near adjacent neighborhoods. Pittsburgh ain't bad at all in this regard, but Baltimore just a few notches above it.

Old 05-22-2020, 02:06 PM

4,522 posts, read 5,093,240 times
Quote:
Man heeeelllllll no, Pgh's downtown has Bmore in a landslide...

All of these cultural activities you say are in Downtown Bmore, are also in Downtown Pgh, but more easily noticeable---->DTPgh has the downtown of a city significantly larger than what it actually is. When you're out about the cities, it becomes apparent Bmore is larger, but downtown specifically, Pgh has tighter structural density, more people on the street, and as someone else mentioned serves as more of the center of Pgh, than downtown does for Bmore. I dont get your point about mass transit accessibility, there are four subway stations in DTPgh and the city-defined downtown is only 0.6m² as is...

This isn't really close. DTPgh is geographically smaller and more compact but is way more active than DTBmore; Pgh certainly has the strongest downtown of any city I've seen below the Top 12 cities, and really has a better downtown than some of those cities...

I agree with the characterization of it as reminiscent of DT Boston; what a unique and special city...
We will respectfully disagree.

Old 05-22-2020, 02:16 PM

1,378 posts, read 1,391,522 times
Close one. I'd go with Pittsburgh.

Old 05-22-2020, 02:36 PM

7,775 posts, read 10,154,770 times
To me urban core means the entire core including adjacent urban core neighborhoods. Downtown to me specifically refers to the CBD. Can the OP clarify what's being compared?

Old 05-22-2020, 06:13 PM

37,877 posts, read 41,910,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by projectmaximus View Post
To me urban core means the entire core including adjacent urban core neighborhoods. Downtown to me specifically refers to the CBD. Can the OP clarify what's being compared?
Good point, although I think downtown typically goes a bit beyond the CBD for most cities and include adjacent government and tourist districts and college/university campuses, although that's far from being a hard-and-fast rule. I think looking at the urban core is best because the way downtown physically relates and is connected to adjacent neighborhoods, even if separated by natural boudaries, is quite important.

Old 05-22-2020, 07:56 PM

Location: That star on your map in the middle of the East Coast, DMV
8,128 posts, read 7,552,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by projectmaximus View Post
It's a two in one question. You can choose either city for being better in the urban core or the Downtown CBD or both. Open discussion... I imagine there will be those with mixed answers to both questions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City