Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city has the better downtown/ urban core
Pittsburgh, PA 49 63.64%
Baltimore, MD 28 36.36%
Voters: 77. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2020, 08:23 PM

7,775 posts, read 10,152,240 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by the resident09 View Post
It's a two in one question. You can choose either city for being better in the urban core or the Downtown CBD or both. Open discussion... I imagine there will be those with mixed answers to both questions.
Gotcha. For me Baltimore's urban core is very impressive and I would put it above Pittsburgh's. For downtown only I would imagine Pittsburgh's would be better though I can't truly say confidently. I have only been to Pittsburgh once, for 3 days, 8 years ago lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2020, 10:21 PM

3,291 posts, read 2,768,878 times
Its a little hard to compare these two on just downtown terms. I mean that Baltimore has a couple of fairly thriving spots on the outskirts of downtown (Inner Harbor, Harbor east, little Italy) even if they are considered tourist traps. I guess to compare to Pgh, you would have to include station square and north shore because they are so close even though separated by rivers (but you can walk across the bridges or take the light rail)

For CBD only Pittsburgh for sure because Bmore is kinda dead in that area. But DT Baltimore has lots of places close by which still make it a center of activity even if just for staying at hotels, etc. Its hard to compare even though they are similar areas. I'd give it to Pittsburgh for just downtown. Baltimore slightly for greater downtowns.

Old 05-23-2020, 06:45 AM

1,801 posts, read 1,948,786 times
I'd say that the Inner Harbor itself connects seemingly with the eastern half of downtown, along with Camden Yards and Convention Center for the western half. I would argue though that Mt. Vernon is sort of "Midtown" along with Belvedere and Station North, and all are zoned as being in part of Baltimore's CBD. It's a shame that this couldn't be a more vibrant corridor since Charles St. was once the lifeblood connecting downtown up through the Penn Station area with its array of shops, restaurants, offices, and bars, yet there are several surface lots in the Mt. Vernon/Belvedere sections these days despite being a major thoroughfare. Prior to the Inner Harbor's development, it was the most popular section of Baltimore for tourists to visit. Howard Street as someone mentioned was another important thoroughfare and not just Royal Farms Arena, with its department stores, antique row, and even the Mayfair theater. But sadly, downtown is a combo of 9-5 offices, parking garages without street level activity, and converted apartments that most tenants tend to stay in. I've never personally been to downtown Pittsburgh, but being surrounded by water on three sides like lower Manhattan does help to focus a center of gravity for people to gather, and the stadium area across the Allegheny provides a nice secondary focus that doesn't detract from the main downtown. Also, now that the prison just east of Mt. Vernon is closed, redevelop that as well as all of those surface parking lots into something as well as to renovate Old Town Mall to provide a better buffer with the CBD and the Johns Hopkins Hospital area to further spur investment.

Hopefully a favorable election and the pandemic give Baltimore an opportunity to reboot for the better, and at least we don't have to suffer the Orioles from being a laughingstock this year.

Old 05-24-2020, 11:23 AM

8,851 posts, read 5,860,814 times
Pittsburgh. Much bigger, grander, and picturesque skyline. Pittsburgh downtown is much more attractive and more of a traditional big-city downtown.

Baltimore's Inner Harbor, Harbor East, and Canton are unique and nice. Although outside of maybe the Inner Harbor, it's hard to classify those places as "downtown" in a traditional "center-city" interpretation. The line of boxy buildings along Pratt Street extending north a few blocks is Baltimore's true downtown core, which isn't impressive at all.

Again, the Inner Harbor, Harbor East, Canton and Fells Point are really nice, but I wouldn't consider them downtown proper.

Pittsburgh wins this.

Old 05-24-2020, 12:36 PM

37,875 posts, read 41,896,305 times
Downtowns evolve over time, and I consider the Inner Harbor and the convention center part of downtown Baltimore. Harbor East feels like an extension of downtown but due to its orientation its hard to consider it part of downtown totally. It's absolutely within the urban core though.

Old 05-24-2020, 01:53 PM

3,291 posts, read 2,768,878 times
Fells Point is in the urban core too but certainly nobody would consider it part of DT.

Old 12-31-2020, 04:49 PM

23,513 posts, read 23,986,796 times
Pittsburgh.

Old 12-31-2020, 08:58 PM

955 posts, read 609,762 times
Baltimore. Pittsburgh is great but its best areas are outside of downtown.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City