Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2020, 11:56 PM

9,398 posts, read 8,868,249 times

Advertisements

Tough comparison even with the weather differences. But it does offer a fair comparison by sprawl. While Seattle does sprawl it doesn’t as much as Phoenix. Beyond that both have a comparable metro population, both have a high growth rate, and both are cities on a high growth curve. I do wonder about the water issue in AZ but this issue is put aside for now in the current environment.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2020, 12:18 AM

9,818 posts, read 7,923,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pnwguy2 View Post
Tough comparison even with the weather differences. But it does offer a fair comparison by sprawl. While Seattle does sprawl it doesn’t as much as Phoenix. Beyond that both have a comparable metro population, both have a high growth rate, and both are cities on a high growth curve. I do wonder about the water issue in AZ but this issue is put aside for now in the current environment.
They're in much better shape than people think with regards to water. Compared to the most similar large desert Metro with Las Vegas, way better shape actually.

The Hohokam built a network of canals eons ago, some of which are still visible today. The area was huge in agriculture before it boomed, and remnants of it are still on the far edges of the Valley. I've never fully comprehended the whole Salt River Project that happened there, but from what I understand it ensured that water would never be an issue. Something is obviously working, or there wouldn't be over 5 million people there.

Xeriscaping has been mandatory for all new homes for a while now if I'm not mistaken as well, that makes a huge impact.

Old 06-06-2020, 02:55 AM

30,348 posts, read 19,138,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbaneducator415 View Post
Seattle metro vs Phoenix metro. I understand that at first glance there are huge differences...walkability, climate, etc. However...after doing further research I noticed some similarities.

Both have great scenery, are in the top 15 largest metros, have international airports that are in the top 15 busiest in the US, are growing...

Thoughts and opinions? Based on...

-Job and professional opportunities
-'Things' to do in the region (hikes, small towns, festivals)'
-Food scene
-Cultural amenities
-Public transportation
-Weather
-Where would you rather live?
Job and professional opportunity - Seattle
Things to do - Tie
Food scene - Phoenix
Cultural amenities - Seattle
Public transportation - don't know enough t say
Weather - Phoenix
Rather live - Phoenix because it's cheaper, sunnier, traffic less congested, and I'm closer politically in sprit to Phoenix than Seattle

Old 06-06-2020, 12:31 PM

4,222 posts, read 3,731,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMatl View Post
They're in much better shape than people think with regards to water. Compared to the most similar large desert Metro with Las Vegas, way better shape actually.

The Hohokam built a network of canals eons ago, some of which are still visible today. The area was huge in agriculture before it boomed, and remnants of it are still on the far edges of the Valley. I've never fully comprehended the whole Salt River Project that happened there, but from what I understand it ensured that water would never be an issue. Something is obviously working, or there wouldn't be over 5 million people there.

Xeriscaping has been mandatory for all new homes for a while now if I'm not mistaken as well, that makes a huge impact.

I don't believe it's mandatory on new homes, I certainly see plenty going in with grass still but most are done with xeriscape and I have a strong preference to it personally. A nicely designed xeriscape front yard looks much better to me then a big grass lawn.

Old 06-06-2020, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prickly Pear View Post
You gotta love Four Peaks. What’s truly iconic about it is that even when you are on the I-10 headed towards Tucson, you can still see it! Near Picacho. At that point I refer to it as “One Peak” since you can only see the side.

I never noticed that, I'm going to pay attention next time I do that drive. I love the views looking south from the top of mesquite wash area off 87, you can see Four Peaks, Weavers Needle and all of superstition mountains. I was just out there this morning but didn't take any photos.

Old 06-06-2020, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Losfrisco View Post
Nightlife in Seattle annihilates anything else in the western U.S.

Other places you have to "be on the list" or know someone. Not Seattle, you just show up.

Don't think Phoenix metro fits the "you have to be on the list" description, maybe some of the more pretentious Scottsdale clubs but in downtown Phoenix and in the Tempe area aren't like that at all.

Old 06-06-2020, 06:54 PM

6,311 posts, read 6,808,542 times
Quote:
I'm not sure I'm familiar with that? I know Camelback, Squaw Peak, Papago & South Mountain though. Where in the Valley can this be seen from?
The person I quote posted a picture of a snow-capped Four Peaks at sunset. It’s East of the valley by say... an hour or somewhat less? Can be viewed from the entire East valley: Scottsdale, Tempe, Mesa, chandler,, Downtown Phoenix, Gilbert. Since it’s really prominent and the only snow-capped mountain in the immediate area in the winter, it’s very noticeable. You can see it from West Phoenix even and like I said around Picacho Peak on the way to Tucson (~100 miles away are Picacho and four peaks?) due to the expansive and endless horizons of the American Southwest. Trees get in the way of views like that.

The picture itself was probably taken out in the desert probably near where the Beeline Highway (state route 87) and Bush Highway meet near Saguaro Lake, just East of the suburb known as Fountain Hills.

Four Peaks is definitely more iconic than Camelback and Piestewa Peak (don’t call it Squaw it is a racial slur and the name has officially changed) but Four Peaks isn’t technically in the valley like those two are. But we can rightfully claim it as part of ours, especially since Seattlites love to claim Mount Rainier which is much, much farther away.

Old 06-06-2020, 08:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prickly Pear View Post
The person I quote posted a picture of a snow-capped Four Peaks at sunset. It’s East of the valley by say... an hour or somewhat less? Can be viewed from the entire East valley: Scottsdale, Tempe, Mesa, chandler,, Downtown Phoenix, Gilbert. Since it’s really prominent and the only snow-capped mountain in the immediate area in the winter, it’s very noticeable. You can see it from West Phoenix even and like I said around Picacho Peak on the way to Tucson (~100 miles away are Picacho and four peaks?) due to the expansive and endless horizons of the American Southwest. Trees get in the way of views like that.

The picture itself was probably taken out in the desert probably near where the Beeline Highway (state route 87) and Bush Highway meet near Saguaro Lake, just East of the suburb known as Fountain Hills.

Four Peaks is definitely more iconic than Camelback and Piestewa Peak (don’t call it Squaw it is a racial slur and the name has officially changed) but Four Peaks isn’t technically in the valley like those two are. But we can rightfully claim it as part of ours, especially since Seattlites love to claim Mount Rainier which is much, much farther away.
Thanks so much! I'm not sure if I've seen it when I was out near Apache Junction, but I must have. And I had no idea that they had changed the name of Squaw Peak, no offense intended at all. I sincerely apologize pologize if I did.

Old 06-06-2020, 08:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by locolife View Post
I don't believe it's mandatory on new homes, I certainly see plenty going in with grass still but most are done with xeriscape and I have a strong preference to it personally. A nicely designed xeriscape front yard looks much better to me then a big grass lawn.

Oh. I love this! I don't know what they're called, but I would have to add one of those native very lacy trees that almost look like giant succulents.

I could have sworn there were laws about no new turf for homes, I must be losing it!

Old 06-06-2020, 09:09 PM

6,311 posts, read 6,808,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by locolife View Post
I never noticed that, I'm going to pay attention next time I do that drive. I love the views looking south from the top of mesquite wash area off 87, you can see Four Peaks, Weavers Needle and all of superstition mountains. I was just out there this morning but didn't take any photos.
It's really only noticeable when it's snow-capped because again, it's a "One Peak" at that point. Hard to differentiate from other mountains when it's not. But I deduced it as Four Peaks because the Superstitions which would be in front of it aren't as "pointy". It's also *extremely* faint and since we don't get too many snow-capped mountains that would be in that area, I was able to deduce it even further. I'm extremely doubtful that I was looking at Pinal Peak, since I think that sits too far east of where I was. I don't think the Superstitions were snowcapped that day too.

Since the I-10 starts going NW/SE at this point, I'd recommend being on the I-10 W to see this best. I'd pull over on the access road on the Northside on a clear winter day, preferably when we have good air quality in pinal county. But I wouldn't expect to be wowed by this view, a one story building or a train could block your view at this point. I like to point it out though to show how expansive our horizons can truly be that certain landmarks can be pointed out from quite a far distance, even though Four Peaks especially in comparison to many other mountains in the country is not the most prominent.

Quote:
Thanks so much! I'm not sure if I've seen it when I was out near Apache Junction, but I must have. And I had no idea that they had changed the name of Squaw Peak, no offense intended at all. I sincerely apologize pologize if I did.
No it's ok most people don't know about the name change. And certain natives here are very adamant on not wanting to admit that the Native Americans hated the name of the mountain and won't accept the name change, so many locals still call it that too.

Apache Junction does not have the best view of it because again you see it from the side and especially if you are unfamiliar with local geography you really don't know exactly what you are looking at.

Here is a street view of the area I was referring to. It's literally four peaks, side by side. The photo was probably taken near here or somewhat further east. There is an ATV trail east of this street view where the picture was probably taken from. https://www.google.com/maps/@33.6276...7i13312!8i6656

Quote:
Oh. I love this! I don't know what they're called, but I would have to add one of those native very lacy trees that almost look like giant succulents.

I could have sworn there were laws about no new turf for homes, I must be losing it!
There are laws for no irrigated lawns. Some old neighborhoods have irrigated lawns, but I believe the law was created in the 1960s so the house has to be older than this and be in a specific grandfathered irrigation neighborhood. Some houses once had this irrigation and took it out - they can't get it back. My house is one of those, used to have irrigation and no longer does. They pay a special tax to their water utility in addition to their water bill for this irrigation too, but this strongly varies by neighborhood as well.

Last edited by Prickly Pear; 06-06-2020 at 09:30 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City