Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2020, 11:49 PM

8,856 posts, read 6,848,510 times

Advertisements

Come on, only several of our bridges have catastrophically failed (two floating bridges, one Tacoma Narrows, and the original West Seattle Bridge I believe), been taken out of commission (West Seattle high bridge this year, Magnolia Bridge in 00s), or needed replacement (viaduct, 520). Also our tunnel boring machines do surprisingly well given that two have been the widest ever (topped by I-90 which is three-lanes wide and three levels tall) except when one got stuck by a pipe for two years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2020, 12:31 AM

30,348 posts, read 19,138,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbaneducator415 View Post
Seattle metro vs Phoenix metro. I understand that at first glance there are huge differences...walkability, climate, etc. However...after doing further research I noticed some similarities.

Both have great scenery, are in the top 15 largest metros, have international airports that are in the top 15 busiest in the US, are growing...

Thoughts and opinions? Based on...

-Job and professional opportunities
-'Things' to do in the region (hikes, small towns, festivals)'
-Food scene
-Cultural amenities
-Public transportation
-Weather
-Where would you rather live?
-Job and professional opportunities
Seattle
-'Things' to do in the region (hikes, small towns, festivals)'
Seattle
-Food scene
Tie
-Cultural amenities
Tie
-Public transportation
Seattle
-Weather
Phoenix
-Where would you rather live
Phoenix

I think Seattle wins most of the categories listed but I would much rather live in Phoenix because the gray winters send me in a deep depression in Seattle, the cost of living is much lower in Phoenix and I prefer the politics of Phoenix over Seattle. Traffic also flows much better in Phoenix than Seattle.

We are in the process of moving to Phoenix metro and leaving Washington state (not Seattle currently). We are retired and will maintain a residence either in Washington state or Idaho/Montana to escape the summer Phoenix heat.

Old 09-29-2020, 07:05 AM

2,991 posts, read 3,418,608 times
If you make good money, Seattle >>> Phoenix.

Seattle. Own work 9/2020.

Beach in Ballard, Seattle. Own work 9/2020

Lincoln Park in Seattle. Own work 9/2020

Seattle from Lake Union. Seaplanes! Own work 9/2020

-Job and professional opportunities - Seattle
-'Things' to do in the region (hikes, small towns, festivals)' - Seattle: Mt Rainier, Cascades, Olympics, Vancouver British Columbia all in day trip distance
-Food scene - Seattle, more independent restaurants and coffeeshops
-Cultural amenities - Tie. Seattle has more Asian vibe, while Phoenix more Hispanic.
-Public transportation - Seattle, building a large lightrail/subway system. The bus system is already very extensive and good
-Weather - personal preferences. But I prefer rain and glorious summers over desert
-Nightlife - 100% Seattle
-Affordability - Phoenix
-Politics - Phoenix more balanced
-Where would you rather live? - I live in Seattle

Last edited by Guineas; 09-29-2020 at 07:31 AM..

Old 10-20-2021, 11:37 PM

3 posts, read 1,426 times
Default Tough call

I’ve lived in both, much longer in Seattle. Aside from the breathtaking beauty of it, my youth and most significant events were experienced on the shores of Lake Washington and the San Juans.. It will probably forever be glamorized in my memories. Like a first love. But it is not the same city that it once was.

When we relocated to PHX a few years ago for hubs job, it felt like being on an extended vacation at first. But it didn’t feel like home and seeing racer backs dart across the road was just not okay. Also, contrast the scenery against Seattle and well, if you know, you know. After awhile I could not wait to return to the lush majesty of my home town. We returned during August just in time for prime sailing season and SeaFair. I didn’t think I would ever be able to leave, or want to.

Then the rain and ominous gray skies returned. For months on end. I remembered. (Watch Maid on Netflix to get a better idea of what I mean. Plus, it’s a great show)
The summer months in Seattle are paradise, the remaining 9 are damp, moldy, dark.
Serious traffic accidents routinely shut down the major freeways.
Wind and ice storms knock out power during the winter - maybe not as bad as Texas but it’s happening more frequently. In fact, there’s a bomb cyclone predicted to hit us tomorrow. (Check out Cliff Mass weather blog)

There’s a few other reasons we’re leaving but at the end of the day, the SW might not win any polls against Seattle on City Data but we can’t do the Seattle gloom anymore - even though I know I’ll miss everything else about it.

Again.

Old 10-21-2021, 11:20 AM

101 posts, read 80,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KLA828 View Post
I’ve lived in both, much longer in Seattle. Aside from the breathtaking beauty of it, my youth and most significant events were experienced on the shores of Lake Washington and the San Juans.. It will probably forever be glamorized in my memories. Like a first love. But it is not the same city that it once was.

When we relocated to PHX a few years ago for hubs job, it felt like being on an extended vacation at first. But it didn’t feel like home and seeing racer backs dart across the road was just not okay. Also, contrast the scenery against Seattle and well, if you know, you know. After awhile I could not wait to return to the lush majesty of my home town. We returned during August just in time for prime sailing season and SeaFair. I didn’t think I would ever be able to leave, or want to.

Then the rain and ominous gray skies returned. For months on end. I remembered. (Watch Maid on Netflix to get a better idea of what I mean. Plus, it’s a great show)
The summer months in Seattle are paradise, the remaining 9 are damp, moldy, dark.
Serious traffic accidents routinely shut down the major freeways.
Wind and ice storms knock out power during the winter - maybe not as bad as Texas but it’s happening more frequently. In fact, there’s a bomb cyclone predicted to hit us tomorrow. (Check out Cliff Mass weather blog)

There’s a few other reasons we’re leaving but at the end of the day, the SW might not win any polls against Seattle on City Data but we can’t do the Seattle gloom anymore - even though I know I’ll miss everything else about it.

Again.
I've lived in both, but in the Phoenix area much longer and most recently. I permanently work from home and have for the past decade. I recently sold my home in Phoenix (to take advantage of the current market). I'm currently in limbo and I can't begin to express how torn I am regarding moving to Seattle or staying in the Phoenix area. To me, they practically have the same number of pros and cons. Honestly I like them both and if I had enough money I'd go back and forth between the two places throughout the year (the dream).

Weather: Summers are hot in Phoenix (air conditioners are great thing for those that work indoors), but outside of summer, the weather is ideal in my opinion. Seattle has the inverse of bad weather. Long periods of gloom are not super desirable, although I think I can mostly handle it .. I like the rain.

Politics: Phoenix wins this hands down with a much more reasonable balance. Seattle politics/policies can be bat sh** crazy sometimes.

Natural Environment: A significant factor .. Seattle area wins this hands down (for me) and is gorgeous, but the Phoenix area and Arizona in general is no slouch. I do prefer the trees, greenery, mountains, and water. Love the water.

Man-made environment: Not as much of a factor for me, Seattle has a great urban environment, but the homelessness and political issues are working hard to bring the desirability down (Why? That's a liberal mystery). Phoenix is very sprawling, but downtown is growing/developing, homes are a bit more affordable and it is easier to find desirable neighborhoods to live in.

Housing Costs: I can afford to live in both, but in my search, the Seattle area can be shockingly expensive and somewhat of a disappointment in what you have to pay for what you get. The Phoenix area has much more to choose from with much more "bang for your buck" factor .. although it is no longer "cheap".

Amenities, shopping, restaurants: Kind of a tie here, but I think there is significantly more stores and better shopping available in Phoenix.

General quality of life (ease factor): I think Phoenix edges Seattle on this.

Culture: I don't care.

If I chose with a child's mind .. the Seattle area has that adventurous excitement factor, but Phoenix is much more logical and may be a more tolerable place to live in the long run.

** When I refer to Seattle and Phoenix .. I'm talking about their whole metro areas.

I typed all that out to try and help myself ... still torn.

Last edited by TedMosby; 10-21-2021 at 11:57 AM..

Old 10-22-2021, 06:45 PM

12,822 posts, read 9,541,088 times
Seattle. With a budget? Phoenix.

Old 10-22-2021, 09:55 PM

41 posts, read 29,158 times
Phoenix in a landslide. Seattle is too rainy, gloomy, and cold. Phoenix is also much easier to live in too.

Old 10-24-2021, 01:33 PM

571 posts, read 1,172,907 times
I’m gonna have to be a homer here…but Seattle for me. Phoenix is way too hot. Seattle never gets too hot to too cold that you can’t be outside without a jacket. I do like some of the desert landscapes but I prefer to be near water…..and Tempe Town Lake doesn’t do it for me. I also prefer urban environments and Seattle offers that. There are no other cities in the Phoenix metro that compare to Bellevue or the old urban bones of Tacoma if you want an alternative to the core city. Add in being able to spend a weekend on the San Juans or be in the mountains in a short drive. I think the perception that Seattle is consistently grey and gloomy comes from people that don’t live here. In the past few years, rainfall is down significantly (which isn’t great IMO) and weather is very temperate. Someone mentioned a shopping advantage to Phoenix? I don’t believe Scottsdale offers anything that Bellevue can’t. Our mass transit investments are next level as well. I do applaud the freeway infrastructure in AZ, but up here we are trying to move away from single occupant car usage.

Old 10-24-2021, 04:08 PM

2,003 posts, read 2,879,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJKirkland View Post
up here we are trying to move away from single occupant car usage.
That quote from Seattle is why Phoenix wins hands down.

Old 10-24-2021, 04:21 PM

571 posts, read 1,172,907 times
That’s fair, though I guess I should have said we are trying to provide options. People aren’t giving up their cars anytime soon, which is fine by me. I think overall, a lot of it is weather related. I hate the heat….as much as others might love it. Personal preference.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City