Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: SoBe (Miami) v. SoCal (Orange County). Which is best for affluent?
SoBe (Miami) 14 48.28%
SoCal (Orange County) 15 51.72%
Voters: 29. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2020, 02:05 PM

5 posts, read 2,200 times

Advertisements

I like both of these areas, but I do not think it is wise to compare an urban city like Miami and South Beach to a dense suburban county like the OC. If I had to live in one, it would be California without hesitation. But if you are trying to have fun and enjoy friends and family, South Beach is it. So many clubs and bars and restaurants in that area.

Old 05-30-2020, 03:55 PM

23,521 posts, read 24,000,129 times
Close, but I’d pick Miami.

Old 05-30-2020, 04:03 PM

12,824 posts, read 9,541,088 times
Miami has the rudest people in the US. It’s like living in a foreign country. Strangers trying to throw shade at you. Old ladies asking if they can cut in line at the airport. It’s just a different culture

Old 05-30-2020, 04:17 PM

99 posts, read 116,902 times
Lol, Orange county is pure suburbia, nothing exciting there..It is Miami easy..

Old 05-30-2020, 04:40 PM

1,223 posts, read 2,265,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citidata18 View Post
Miami can also be alienating if you're not from Latin America.

In LA, although it has a significant Mexican population, the culture there doesn't necessarily revolve around them and it's relatively more diverse/younger.

You also get easy access to mountains / skiing in Los Angeles, better flight connectivity (besides Latin America), less polarizing politics, better proximity to other big cities for day trips and LA doesn't have that feel of being in "God's Waiting Room."
This is not true, particularly South Beach. To be clear, you will not be in the majority for the metro area as a whole but there are people from all over in Miami Beach. A lot of second homeowners from the northeast and significant European presence. Also, there are plenty of upper class recreational activities that cater to a typical American (regardless of ethnicity).

Old 05-31-2020, 07:07 AM

41 posts, read 24,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylord_Focker View Post
Miami has the rudest people in the US. It’s like living in a foreign country. Strangers trying to throw shade at you. Old ladies asking if they can cut in line at the airport. It’s just a different culture
Doesn't each State have it's own vibe?

Old 05-31-2020, 07:19 AM

7,409 posts, read 6,542,189 times
I like the international and diverse vibe of Miami and SoBe...it IS like living in a foreign country, except under the protectorate of the United States...Diversity > homogeneity in my book, though as pointed out earlier, plenty of native born and native English speaking Americans here as well.

Old 05-31-2020, 07:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elchevere View Post
I like the international and diverse vibe of Miami and SoBe...it IS like living in a foreign country, except under the protectorate of the United States...Diversity > homogeneity in my book, though as pointed out earlier, plenty of native born and native English speaking Americans here as well.
How about Women/Models?

Old 05-31-2020, 07:40 AM

7,409 posts, read 6,542,189 times
stunning....I lived in SoCal for 30 years and have lived in Miami for 3.5 years now...Miami hands down has the best looking women per capita.....I live in Brickell and I cannot walk more than a few blocks without seeing a gorgeous woman, predominantly Latina--like being in the middle of a Univision beauty pageant on a daily basis.

They also tend to dress with more class and style than many of their American counterparts and retain their femininity (though are anything but submissive)....Miami is not limited to Latinas. Plenty of beautiful Europeans (especially Eastern European) and native Floridians.....if Asian is more your thing then SoCal, forget Miami...I also am NOT a fan of body art on a woman and find the women in Miami tend to have less of it, if at all, certainly not up and down their entire arm (though you can find that further north in parts of Broward and Palm Beach counties if that is your thing or SoCal--not everyone, mind you; just more of it in those other areas)...also more American (white) women up in Broward and Palm Beach counties.

Various venues to come across them--weekend pool parties year round, night clubs, happy hour, Wynwood (more casual/artsy), classy restaurant bars (Kiki on the River, Seaspice, Deck at Island Gardens, Swan/Bar Bevy, Baoli, Juvia), hotel bars (Living Room and Bar Saxony at Faena Hotel), Design District, cultural events, The Wharf / Riverside Brickell....I suggest doing a Google search for these to get a better idea...brought a friend from San Diego to Kiki on the River and mentioned to him I've seen a particular beautiful woman who was there before but cannot recall from where; his response was, yeah--on the front of a magazine cover.

If you decide to do a boys trip, Miami is much closer to more places--Dominican Republic, Havana, Cancun, Costa Rica, Medellin, Rio de Janeiro with more direct flights (many not requiring an overnight redeye flight--unlike SoCal/OC).

That's just my opinion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan Jacob View Post
How about Women/Models?

Last edited by elchevere; 05-31-2020 at 08:02 AM..

Old 05-31-2020, 08:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elchevere View Post
stunning....I lived in SoCal for 30 years and have lived in Miami for 3.5 years now...Miami hands down has the best looking women per capita.....I live in Brickell and I cannot walk more than a few blocks without seeing a gorgeous woman, predominantly Latina--like being in the middle of a Univision beauty pageant on a daily basis.

They also tend to dress with more class and style than many of their American counterparts and retain their femininity (though are anything but submissive)....Miami is not limited to Latinas. Plenty of beautiful Europeans (especially Eastern European) and native Floridians.....if Asian is more your thing then SoCal, forget Miami...I also am NOT a fan of body art on a woman and find the women in Miami tend to have less of it, if at all, certainly not up and down their entire arm (though you can find that further north in parts of Broward and Palm Beach counties if that is your thing or SoCal--not everyone, mind you; just more of it in those other areas)...also more American (white) women up in Broward and Palm Beach counties.

Various venues to come across them--weekend pool parties year round, night clubs, happy hour, Wynwood (more casual/artsy), classy restaurant bars (Kiki on the River, Seaspice, Deck at Island Gardens, Swan/Bar Bevy, Baoli, Juvia), hotel bars (Living Room and Bar Saxony at Faena Hotel), Design District, cultural events, The Wharf / Riverside Brickell....I suggest doing a Google search for these to get a better idea...brought a friend from San Diego to Kiki on the River and mentioned to him I've seen a particular beautiful woman who was there before but cannot recall from where; his response was, yeah--on the front of a magazine cover.

If you decide to do a boys trip, Miami is much closer to more places--Dominican Republic, Havana, Cancun, Costa Rica, Medellin, Rio de Janeiro with more direct flights (many not requiring an overnight redeye flight--unlike SoCal/OC).

That's just my opinion.
Is WeHo West Hollywood (LA) better than SoCal Orange County (OC)?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City