Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2020, 11:55 AM

795 posts, read 482,042 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakeshorestateofmind92 View Post
I thought a unique way to do this was to use the city size as different classes...such as the following

Most improved with a population at 1 million and above
Most Imrpoved with population under 1 mil to 750,000
Most Improved with population under 750,000 to 500,000
Most Improved with population under 500,000 to 250,000
Most Imrpoved with population under 250,000 and lower

Also explain why you chose your answers

I got Bend, Oregon for the last one for sure. Have fun and I warmly anticipate your replies.

This is an interesting post!! Nice! I'm wondering if the population number categories are by city proper or MSA? Which does the OP want us to go by? Wondering before I answer. Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2020, 11:57 AM

37,877 posts, read 41,910,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shakeesha View Post
My points. I think the southern and western boomtowns will keep growing based on their location and ability to attract and retain jobs. I believe Chicago holds more promise than Philadelphia because it has no close competition in its region and has the more attractive core. I am not sure if enough people are moving away from NYC to make Philadelphia boom.
Chicago is doing well economically while hemorrhaging population, so a population boom isn't necessary to perform well economically. I think Philadelphia does have an advantage because it isn't losing population and even though it's in NYC's shadow, its East Coast location is still seen as advantageous.

Old 06-23-2020, 01:21 PM

9,378 posts, read 9,326,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Chicago is doing well economically while hemorrhaging population, so a population boom isn't necessary to perform well economically. I think Philadelphia does have an advantage because it isn't losing population and even though it's in NYC's shadow, its East Coast location is still seen as advantageous.
And both regions have grown economically at virtually the same pace since 2010. So if we leave out general economics, I am hard pressed to see how Chicago improved more than Philadelphia since 2010. I am also hard pressed to see how Chicago has a brighter future when looking toward 2030.Not to say it has a dime future, but Philadelphia is poised to excel in the coming years for a whole multitude of reasons.

At the very least, Philadelphia deserves an honorable mention, but you won't get that from this poster, he/she does not like Philadelphia and downplays any growth or success any chance he/she gets.

Old 06-23-2020, 04:59 PM

9,679 posts, read 9,380,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Agree, but in regard to location that has not been the case for Baltimore. The city continues to lose residents and increase in some crime metrics.

Old 06-23-2020, 05:45 PM

37,877 posts, read 41,910,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shakeesha View Post
Agree, but in regard to location that has not been the case for Baltimore. The city continues to lose residents and increase in some crime metrics.
Baltimore's East Coast location is still advantageous but that doesn't mean that it is enough on its own to make up for its major shortcomings in other areas at present. The good thing is that its shortcomings are mainly things that can be changed but such changes won't come easy or quickly.

Philadelphia is in a much, much better position across the board.

Old 06-24-2020, 05:55 AM

747 posts, read 496,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpomp View Post
And both regions have grown economically at virtually the same pace since 2010. So if we leave out general economics, I am hard pressed to see how Chicago improved more than Philadelphia since 2010. I am also hard pressed to see how Chicago has a brighter future when looking toward 2030.Not to say it has a dime future, but Philadelphia is poised to excel in the coming years for a whole multitude of reasons.

At the very least, Philadelphia deserves an honorable mention, but you won't get that from this poster, he/she does not like Philadelphia and downplays any growth or success any chance he/she gets.
She does that with other cities too. She’s very biased and simply cannot be taken seriously. I tend to completely ignore her entirely.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City