Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city has the worst traffic?
Houston 34 27.42%
Atlanta 90 72.58%
Voters: 124. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2022, 01:48 PM

4,754 posts, read 2,972,766 times

Advertisements

The traffic in Los Angeles is definitely as bad as advertised, especially on the freeways. It's not as bad as it was pre-pandemic currently but even now traffic is like at 90-95% of that level at times. The flip side about LA is the arterials won't be as crowded oftentimes so there's always several alternatives to get where you are going.

LA is way worse than Houston. Rush hour in LA lasts at least an hour longer in the morning and afternoon. And outside of rush hour, LA just has much more day traffic due to the sheer amount of vehicles people have, plus the amount of visitors the place receives. Houston freeways really clear up by the late mornings until mid afternoon whereas LA doesn't receive that same break for the most part. We're talking 18 million people in an urban area of about 2800 square miles. Almost the population of Florida in just 3-5% of the square miles (give or take).

Houston traffic is better than Atlanta but the difference is slim. Where Atlanta does worse than Houston is the arterials, but it's freeways are just as wide and seem as efficient despite not having as many. Atlanta's rush hour seems to clear up faster too I've noticed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2022, 09:13 AM

276 posts, read 168,179 times
I thought Atlanta traffic was horrible, but when I visited LA traffic there just seems to be on a whole different level. Trying to commute anywhere by freeway just seems miserable.

Old 03-08-2022, 09:40 AM

12,822 posts, read 9,536,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DabOnEm View Post
The traffic in Los Angeles is definitely as bad as advertised, especially on the freeways. It's not as bad as it was pre-pandemic currently but even now traffic is like at 90-95% of that level at times. The flip side about LA is the arterials won't be as crowded oftentimes so there's always several alternatives to get where you are going.

LA is way worse than Houston. Rush hour in LA lasts at least an hour longer in the morning and afternoon. And outside of rush hour, LA just has much more day traffic due to the sheer amount of vehicles people have, plus the amount of visitors the place receives. Houston freeways really clear up by the late mornings until mid afternoon whereas LA doesn't receive that same break for the most part. We're talking 18 million people in an urban area of about 2800 square miles. Almost the population of Florida in just 3-5% of the square miles (give or take).

Houston traffic is better than Atlanta but the difference is slim. Where Atlanta does worse than Houston is the arterials, but it's freeways are just as wide and seem as efficient despite not having as many. Atlanta's rush hour seems to clear up faster too I've noticed.

Old 03-09-2022, 04:35 AM

14,186 posts, read 22,730,784 times
Atlanta is worse. It has a metropolitan population over 6,000,000 but only one beltway, thanks to the thousands of NIMBYs in its northern exurbs who, ironically, are exactly why Atlanta needs a second beltway. Compounding the problem is a lack of convenient alternate routes, because the secondary road network is underbuilt and not nearly as directional as it is in Houston.

Old 03-09-2022, 07:33 PM

4,435 posts, read 6,297,332 times
Houston traffic is stressful, but I feel like there's more alternative routes with the large street grid and frontage roads along the freeways.

Old 03-10-2022, 10:44 AM

869 posts, read 318,722 times
Definitely Atlanta.

Old 03-10-2022, 09:03 PM

3,883 posts, read 2,193,527 times
I shudder to think what Houston's traffic would be like if it had the same road network as Atlanta.

Old 03-11-2022, 10:42 AM

3,217 posts, read 2,353,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Need4Camaro View Post
LA wasn’t really all that bad when I went there pre-covid. I was expecting it to be much worse than it was.

Main thing that Houston has over Atlanta is you can bypass a lot of congestion on toll roads. In Atlanta you can’t do that. Getting off the highway just leads to more congested side arteries which are mostly smaller streets of which many are single lane each way. Houston has better surface arterials and an actual grid outside the city center.
Houston's thru streets make a difference because most or 4 lanes with turning lanes, several are six lanes. Also , Houston is basically a grid-structured city.

Old 03-15-2022, 10:26 AM

276 posts, read 168,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craziaskowboi View Post
Atlanta is worse. It has a metropolitan population over 6,000,000 but only one beltway, thanks to the thousands of NIMBYs in its northern exurbs who, ironically, are exactly why Atlanta needs a second beltway. Compounding the problem is a lack of convenient alternate routes, because the secondary road network is underbuilt and not nearly as directional as it is in Houston.
I agree, the secondary road network needs a lot of improvement to be a viable way to travel across the suburbs.

Sadly the outer beltway will never happen. It cost one governor re-election and even the mention of it is political suicide. I think the best hope we have is an upgrade of the existing outer arc roads, like Hwy 20 or 92.

Old 03-15-2022, 09:29 PM

9,679 posts, read 9,378,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cranberrysaus View Post
I agree, the secondary road network needs a lot of improvement to be a viable way to travel across the suburbs.

Sadly the outer beltway will never happen. It cost one governor re-election and even the mention of it is political suicide. I think the best hope we have is an upgrade of the existing outer arc roads, like Hwy 20 or 92.
That is too bad because Atlanta needs it. The north side of the metro is growing and traffic is always bad. The secondary network is choppy and not enough sidewalks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City