Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city has the worst traffic?
Houston 34 27.42%
Atlanta 90 72.58%
Voters: 124. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2022, 04:01 PM

1,374 posts, read 924,407 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bethereds82 View Post
I live in the NE Atlanta suburbs and commute to Buckhead. I’ve never lived in Houston, but just recently moved to Atlanta from Los Angeles.

ATL traffic is bad, but not anywhere close to LA bad. Not even close.

ATL has bad traffic due to design. Roads that were built without a grid system. Sprawling 2 lane roads that curve and bend trying to avoid crossing rivers and large hills.

I had no idea Atlanta was basically in the foothills of the Appalachians and had the 2nd highest elevation for a MLB team in the country behind Denver.

ATL traffic can be frustrating but not soul crushing.

Not sure if this helps, but if you’ve lived in LA— hopefully this post can provide a frame of reference.
Yes, LA is horrible. I used to go to LA every summer and the traffic is just horrible due to the sheer volume of cars. In Atlanta, you will have traffic sometimes in rush hour but for the most part, you'll only face it when they're clearing an accident.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2022, 05:37 PM

390 posts, read 389,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShenardL View Post
Yes, LA is horrible. I used to go to LA every summer and the traffic is just horrible due to the sheer volume of cars. In Atlanta, you will have traffic sometimes in rush hour but for the most part, you'll only face it when they're clearing an accident.
I grew up 30 sumn miles east of L.A. and its bad out here but not L.A bad. I think Houston is probably like Inland empire traffic, while Atlanta is probaly a bit worse than the Inland Empire.

Old 03-06-2022, 08:16 AM

828 posts, read 647,741 times
Both are bad, but Atlanta is up with Los Angeles and Miami for being among the worst in the U.S.

Old 03-06-2022, 02:22 PM

1,374 posts, read 924,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NDFan View Post
Both are bad, but Atlanta is up with Los Angeles and Miami for being among the worst in the U.S.
According to this, the most urban area NYC is the worst at 56 hours yearly delay per auto commuter: https://www.metromile.com/blog/worst...fic-in-the-us/

The list:
1. NYC 56 hours
2. Boston 50 hours
3. Houston 49 hours
4. LA/San Francisco (tie) 46 hours
5. Washington D.C. 42 hours
6. Dallas 40 hours
7. Chicago 39 hours
8. Atlanta/Philadelphia (tie) 37 hours
9. Detroit 35 hours
10. Seattle 31 hours

Old 03-06-2022, 07:40 PM

4,379 posts, read 4,618,388 times
Quote:
According to this, the most urban area NYC is the worst at 56 hours yearly delay per auto commuter: https://www.metromile.com/blog/worst...fic-in-the-us/

The list:
1. NYC 56 hours
2. Boston 50 hours
3. Houston 49 hours
6. Dallas 40 hours
7. Chicago 39 hours
9. Detroit 35 hours
10. Seattle 31 hours
Yeah I don't know if covid had anything to do with the traffic but the last time I went to LA for a couple of days in 2021, traffic was less stressful than Houston. And I do believe Houston is worst than Atlanta.

Old 03-06-2022, 09:41 PM

11,785 posts, read 7,995,430 times
LA wasn’t really all that bad when I went there pre-covid. I was expecting it to be much worse than it was.

Main thing that Houston has over Atlanta is you can bypass a lot of congestion on toll roads. In Atlanta you can’t do that. Getting off the highway just leads to more congested side arteries which are mostly smaller streets of which many are single lane each way. Houston has better surface arterials and an actual grid outside the city center.

Old 03-06-2022, 10:01 PM

663 posts, read 305,841 times
Quote:

The list:
1. NYC 56 hours
2. Boston 50 hours
3. Houston 49 hours
6. Dallas 40 hours
7. Chicago 39 hours
9. Detroit 35 hours
10. Seattle 31 hours
Interesting,
NYC - is restricted with bridges as tunnels and most cannot be widened.

Boston - also restrictions over just open expressway and a peninsula.

Chicago is a large city where its suburbs can really only sprawl over half a circumference. Downtown on Lake Michigan and all East is the lake. Southern tip of the Lake, is where one can go East not close to downtown.

Detroit and Philly similar, one goes into Canada by bridge and the other the New Jersey side by bridge. Widening not a real option either?

For this thread, both Houston and Atlanta have a full 360 circumference to sprawl. Wide expressways some widened more than once.

Northern older large sized cities, also have narrower expressways most that cannot be really be widened in most areas.

Old 03-07-2022, 05:00 AM

1,801 posts, read 1,950,065 times
Houstonians tend to commute further from their home to their office, so the odds of a delay increase. With the lack of transit/commuter rail options like Atlanta (and LA/SF), there is no choice but to just drive, and this jams up the main arteries leading to key job clusters. Even though there are fewer trees/hills, there are still more people in metro Houston (and far more vehicles), and combined with a busy port with lots of freight traffic, it doesn't take away from the high dependency on the automobile, and in a city where energy is king, Houston's love for vehicles won't end any time soon. Hopefully the latest windfall from higher prices will entice Houston to invest in some real transit that will allow for those not connected with O&G to save some energy usage.

Old 03-07-2022, 11:16 AM

12,824 posts, read 9,541,088 times
LA traffic generally flows.

Old 03-07-2022, 11:32 AM

3,141 posts, read 2,045,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redlionjr View Post
Yeah I don't know if covid had anything to do with the traffic but the last time I went to LA for a couple of days in 2021, traffic was less stressful than Houston. And I do believe Houston is worst than Atlanta.
Key words 2021. More folks have been back at work for longer in Houston than LA.

In normal times it's not even close.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City