Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which of these cities has friendlier and nicer people?
Atlanta, GA 16 34.78%
Columbia, SC 30 65.22%
Voters: 46. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2020, 10:20 AM

617 posts, read 551,438 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by demonta4 View Post
I’ve heard opinions like this before as a native Atlantan. Usually people from the urban north will say we’re friendlier but people from the small town south will say we’re pretentious and stuck up. Atlanta’s pretty big and diverse so I could imagine seeing both but I’m sure where you’re from matters most in your perceptions of Atlanta.
I definitely agree with this. I moved to Atlanta from the Raleigh/Durham area, and noticed people here did not seem to be as friendly as what I grew up experiencing in the Carolinas. It could just be because Raleigh is a smaller metro area, but it is also still very transplant-heavy area.

But I do think overall metro Atlanta is a very friendly area, especially to be a top 10 populated area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2020, 06:12 PM

1,726 posts, read 1,719,139 times
This might be an unpopular opinion. Oh, well!

Personally, I do not find people in Georgia or South Carolina to be nearly as friendly or polite as they are purported to be on City-Data and in real life. This applies to people in both Atlanta and Columbia.

Of course, people in Georgia and South Carolina are friendlier and politer than people in Florida and New York. But then again, who isn't?

In my experience, people who live in the states located on the periphery of the U.S. South are the friendliest and politest. This includes Kentucky, Oklahoma and West Virginia as well as western Texas.

Even people in Maryland, at least those who live outside of the Philadelphia and Washington, D.C. spheres of influence, seem to be chattier and easier-going than people in the Georgia and South Carolina.

Relative to the Upper South, the Lower South, which includes cities such as Atlanta and Columbia, for example, experiences more racial strife than the Lower South. I presume this is the result of the Lower South's much greater black population and a longer, more storied history of slavery and Jim Crow segregation.

Also, the Lower South has been experiencing some growing pains due to massive population growth over the past few decades, especially in the large cities and coastal communities. Growing pains make people cranky, and Florida is a great example of this phenomenon.

If the OP is an Arizona native who is accustomed to people from, say, Kansas, Nebraska or Oklahoma -- or even Southern California, for that matter -- than he or she will probably find people in Georgia or South Carolina to be less friendly and outgoing.

Old 06-20-2020, 06:30 PM

3,696 posts, read 2,893,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonorandesert92 View Post
I feel Phoenix, AZ is also friendlier than Atlanta, GA in a landslide. I love Phoenix, as it's my favorite city in the world.
I lived in Columbia for a couple of years when I was younger and had a job some years ago in the company's Detroit location where I traveled frequently to both Atlanta and Phoenix.

The majority of people anywhere I have been in the country are friendly.

I also found Phoenix to be very friendly when I was there. It was funny because before I went down there everyone at my company was warning me about how they had heard people in Phoenix were very rude, lol. I didn't run into that at all when I was there. The other place I found particularly full of nice people was the Midwest.

Old 06-20-2020, 06:53 PM

9,818 posts, read 7,919,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bert_from_back_East View Post
This might be an unpopular opinion. Oh, well!

Personally, I do not find people in Georgia or South Carolina to be nearly as friendly or polite as they are purported to be on City-Data and in real life. This applies to people in both Atlanta and Columbia.

Of course, people in Georgia and South Carolina are friendlier and politer than people in Florida and New York. But then again, who isn't?

In my experience, people who live in the states located on the periphery of the U.S. South are the friendliest and politest. This includes Kentucky, Oklahoma and West Virginia as well as western Texas.

Even people in Maryland, at least those who live outside of the Philadelphia and Washington, D.C. spheres of influence, seem to be chattier and easier-going than people in the Georgia and South Carolina.

Relative to the Upper South, the Lower South, which includes cities such as Atlanta and Columbia, for example, experiences more racial strife than the Lower South. I presume this is the result of the Lower South's much greater black population and a longer, more storied history of slavery and Jim Crow segregation.

Also, the Lower South has been experiencing some growing pains due to massive population growth over the past few decades, especially in the large cities and coastal communities. Growing pains make people cranky, and Florida is a great example of this phenomenon.

If the OP is an Arizona native who is accustomed to people from, say, Kansas, Nebraska or Oklahoma -- or even Southern California, for that matter -- than he or she will probably find people in Georgia or South Carolina to be less friendly and outgoing.
Just so you know, Atlanta isn't the lower South - it is firmly in the Piedmont, above the Fall Line. This place was about industry and commerce, not plantations.

In a nutshell, this is one of the friendliest and most welcoming Major Metro's in the Country. You will be treated with kindness if you are nice by the large majority of the population. If you're an @ss however, you will be treated as one in return or completely ignored.

Old 06-22-2020, 01:17 PM

1,374 posts, read 923,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shakeesha View Post
I never get that in Atlanta.
I get all the time (I live here). I never get it in northeast cities (NYC, Philly, Boston), they'll shove you and say get out the way. The friendliest cities in the world that I've been to are in East Asia (Seoul, Tokyo).

Old 06-22-2020, 06:56 PM

9,678 posts, read 9,375,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShenardL View Post
I get all the time (I live here). I never get it in northeast cities (NYC, Philly, Boston), they'll shove you and say get out the way. The friendliest cities in the world that I've been to are in East Asia (Seoul, Tokyo).
Seems like I am missing out. In Atlanta I get attitude, self-righteousness, and vagrants begging for change (my hometown also has homeless issues). I don't wear weave, clown makeup, or wait on men to take me out.

Old 06-22-2020, 08:19 PM

9,818 posts, read 7,919,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shakeesha View Post
Seems like I am missing out. In Atlanta I get attitude, self-righteousness, and vagrants begging for change (my hometown also has homeless issues). I don't wear weave, clown makeup, or wait on men to take me out.
What the hell, Shakeesha? What kind of places are you going to down here, I thought you knew Atlanta pretty well?

Old 08-01-2020, 11:22 AM

1,299 posts, read 1,275,362 times
Come on now.

If you are comparing well-adjusted community in both cities, then maybe. But no.

Atlanta is not really “southern” or “country” like Columbia. Too many transplants, this impacts how people interact. If you are including “south of downtown” Atlanta that most of the posters seem unaware of, it’s definitely nowhere near as friendly as Columbia lol.

Old 08-01-2020, 12:36 PM

37,875 posts, read 41,896,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meep View Post
If you are including “south of downtown” Atlanta that most of the posters seem unaware of, it’s definitely nowhere near as friendly as Columbia lol.
It's definitely as southern though.

Old 08-01-2020, 02:52 PM

1,299 posts, read 1,275,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
It's definitely as southern though.
It depends. When I’m in the south suburbs and the south/west in the city proper. Very southern. But that’s because black ppl in these neighborhoods are generational southerners, and just now rally assimilating into what is now “mainstream” Atlanta. I don’t know where the white equivalent for this is ... maybe peachtree city and social circle?

But no way can you call Chamblee, North Decatur area, Brookhaven, even part of lower Alpharetta, and so on.... southern. Maybe in certain aspects, but the people are worldly and indifferent to tribalism prevelant in small towns like Columbia.

Unlesss southern is to mean something completely different than it did a decade ago. Atlanta is losing that outside of the southside, places like convington on the East, etc.

And this is not a diss to Columbia, but the meanness of a place is almost always correlated to the amount of ppl there. Even with crime, there is a “mind your business” type of attitude towards crime here like other big cities. Traffic will wear down your patience. These things impact the psychology of a person.

If someone moves from Columbia to Atlanta at age 50, in a exurb, then they might not notice a difference. But to move here in your high school and 20s, you’ll def notice a difference.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City