Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city/metro is more naturally beautiful?
Boston 12 35.29%
Portland, ME 22 64.71%
Voters: 34. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2020, 05:09 PM

10,745 posts, read 23,804,636 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lrfox View Post
I'd go Burlington for the best natural beauty. By far, actually. I'm an ocean guy, but Boston Harbor and Casco Bay hardly represent the best or most scenic waterways in their respective states. Lake Champlain, on the other hand, is stunning right in the heart of Burlington. You have great views of the Adirondacks and water from anywhere in town. And if you're on the water looking back towards Burlington you have Camel's Hump and Mt. Mansfield as a backdrop. Portland has mountains in the distance, but nowhere near as close as Burlington. Burlington is also a whole lot less industrial than Portland or Boston so there's very little industry along the water (which puts a damper on views from downtown Portland and Boston).
When I thought of moving back to New England a few years ago after a long chapter out in the Southwest, I was pretty use to seeing amazing sunsets and mountains on the horizon out there. It's something I would miss a lot, and I do to a certain extent due to the superlative nature and scale of the western landscapes. But Burlington and Lake Champlain I definitely feel is the most scenic area in the region, and the sunsets in Burlington are the best in all of New England. So that's how I was inclined to move here, and I like to ski. Lake Champlain sunsets with the Adirondacks shaded in purple over a huge lake on the horizon on viewed from the downtown waterfront are gorgeous.

The Champlain Valley is the most scenic area year round for me. Winter is a lot more fun living by the mountains than is was living in coastal New England. But on a hot muggy day like today, I do miss having access to saltwater breeze. Particularly off Casco Bay that would be nice right now. I had considered moving to Portland too. It's the right size city for me, it's a beautiful area and jumping off point to the wilds of Maine. It's also a lot closer to my friends and family on the North Shore. But winter is a long season in New England, so the mountains won out for me.

Agreed, based on Portland's size and the rocky shores of Casco Bay, Portland has natural scenery over Boston. I like Boston's outer harbor (sans Deer Island). When I lived in Salem, I rode the ferry in a few times to Boston. It was AWESOME, cruising past the rocky shores of the Marblehead and Nahant peninsulas, then passing Boston light as the city unfolds heading into the harbor. It is quite beautiful. The inner harbor with Logan's runways and the industrial elements do make a lot less scenic picture, but that's just the function of a large city. Seattle has stunning waterfront areas with gorgeous natural scenery in view, but it also has ugly port areas too.

Last edited by Champ le monstre du lac; 06-19-2020 at 05:32 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2020, 11:57 PM

9,818 posts, read 7,923,077 times
^Great post!

Old 12-28-2020, 10:40 AM

23,518 posts, read 24,000,129 times
Portland.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City