Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2020, 03:10 PM

8,302 posts, read 5,696,736 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Uncommon_ View Post
For #2, what does “integrated” mean in this context?
In Miami, the city revolves around Hispanic / Latino culture (which isn't for everyone), while Tampa is more like Dallas (or better yet, it's been described as having a more "Midwestern vibe") where you have diversity but no one ethnic group dominates the city's culture.

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Uncommon_ View Post
For #4, Orlando and Jacksonville are much less hurricane prone than Tampa Bay. West/southwest Florida is one of the worst areas prone to storms and flooding in the state.
You are correct about Orlando (which is why I said *MOST* big cities in Florida), but I'd be interested in seeing the stats you're referencing about Jacksonville. Tampa hasn't been hit directly by a strong hurricane in virtually 100 years, whereas Jacksonville was hit with one directly in 1964.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2020, 03:21 PM

7,409 posts, read 6,537,276 times
^ ^ ^

Agree...many more midwesterners in Tampa....but depends where OP is originally from and/or live in Dallas...I worked for Texas Instruments for 33 years and found a lot of ex metro NY’ers in Dallas, especially Plano and North Dallas, in which case SoFla could work for them. NY’ers and Dallas Texans might have different accents but they both speak their mind and BS walks and got along well with one another from my experience. SoFla also gets more non Hispanic White the further north from Miami one gets—FtL/Broward, Palm Beach County, etc.

Last edited by elchevere; 06-22-2020 at 03:39 PM..

Old 06-22-2020, 04:47 PM

626 posts, read 463,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elchevere View Post
^ ^ ^

Agree...many more midwesterners in Tampa....but depends where OP is originally from and/or live in Dallas...I worked for Texas Instruments for 33 years and found a lot of ex metro NY’ers in Dallas, especially Plano and North Dallas, in which case SoFla could work for them. NY’ers and Dallas Texans might have different accents but they both speak their mind and BS walks and got along well with one another from my experience. SoFla also gets more non Hispanic White the further north from Miami one gets—FtL/Broward, Palm Beach County, etc.

I don't think many people realize that even when excluding all of Miami-Dade County that Broward and Palm Beach Counties alone still have more people then the entire metro areas of Orlando and Tampa. When adding up Miami-Dade, Broward and Palm Beach County it's more people than the entire Tampa and Orlando metro areas combined.

Many people also don't realize that the Miami metro is only 41% Hispanic, with a huge chunk of that in Miami-Dade County. The Hispanic percentage gets much lower when going north into Broward and Palm Beach County. When adding in all the snowbirds and tourists around the whole metro area the Hispanic percentage drops even lower, especially in Broward and Palm Beach Counties.

Last edited by popka; 06-22-2020 at 05:09 PM..

Old 06-22-2020, 05:19 PM

9,818 posts, read 7,919,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by popka View Post
I don't think many people realize that even when excluding all of Miami-Dade County that Broward and Palm Beach Counties alone still have more people then the entire metro areas of Orlando and Tampa. When adding up Miami-Dade, Broward and Palm Beach County it's more people than the entire Tampa and Orlando metro areas combined.

Many people also don't realize that the Miami metro is only 41% Hispanic, with a huge chunk of that in Miami-Dade County. The Hispanic percentage gets much lower when going north into Broward and Palm Beach County. When adding in all the snowbirds and tourists around the whole metro area the Hispanic percentage drops even lower, especially in Broward and Palm Beach Counties.
Not sure I'm buying the bolded at all, do you have access to anything that verifies this?

At any rate, people from all 3 South Florida Counties continue flowing up to the Metro's of Orlando and Tampa to live - as well as points north. Not so much in the other direction.

Old 06-22-2020, 05:27 PM

8,302 posts, read 5,696,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMatl View Post
Not sure I'm buying the bolded at all, do you have access to anything that verifies this?
Combined, Broward and Palm Beach counties have 3.5 million people. Meanwhile, the entire Miami MSA has 6.2 million people.

Definitely more than Orlando's MSA (2.6 million) and Tampa's MSA (3.2 million).

Last edited by citidata18; 06-22-2020 at 05:51 PM..

Old 06-22-2020, 05:38 PM

747 posts, read 496,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citidata18 View Post
In Miami, the city revolves around Hispanic / Latino culture (which isn't for everyone), while Tampa is more like Dallas (or better yet, it's been described as having a more "Midwestern vibe") where you have diversity but no one ethnic group dominates the city's culture.

You are correct about Orlando (which is why I said *MOST* big cities in Florida), but I'd be interested in seeing the stats you're referencing about Jacksonville. Tampa hasn't been hit directly by a strong hurricane in virtually 100 years, whereas Jacksonville was hit with one directly in 1964.
Gotcha. I was confused about “most” since imo there are only 4 or 5 big cities in Florida and Tampa Bay gets hit with hurricanes more than all of them, even Miami.

Irma hit Tampa in 2017. Before that Charley hit Tampa as well, back in 2004. They weren’t direct hits but Florida rarely gets direct hits from category 3 hurricanes and up. But tropical storms and depressions can wreak real havoc on coastal cities in the form of high winds, power outages, and flooding, and these impact Tampa much more than Jacksonville. Tampa Bay has a tropical storm seemingly almost every other year. Jacksonville gets them too but far more infrequently. The last one was 2011.

FWIW, homeowners insurance is cheaper in Jax. Home insurance companies rank Florida’s cities based on their evaluation of NOAA-identified storms, giving scores based on the amount of storm occurrences, number of deaths and injuries from storms, and insurance claims. Tampa is the most at-risk large city in Florida to storm damage. Here is a sample of it:

https://www.ajc.com/weather/hurrican...pmqy2WIVyPoYO/

Even then, Tampa barely gets hit with catastrophic storms. Florida as a whole doesn’t see many hard-hitting hurricanes. The threat is always there, but it’s really overblown compared to what non-Floridians think. People in other states are always like, but Florida gets hurricanes! I mean, rarely. I imagine it’s like that for Californians whenever uninformed people bring up earthquakes.

Old 06-22-2020, 05:50 PM

Quote:

At any rate, people from all 3 South Florida Counties continue flowing up to the Metro's of Orlando and Tampa to live - as well as points north. Not so much in the other direction.
Yeah he’s right.

Broward has 2 million people and Palm Beach has 1.5.

Tampa Bay has 3.2 million people and Orlando has 2.6.

Also, Miami’s largest inbound migrants in 2018 were from NYC and Orlando, and its outbound migrants were to Tampa:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/reale...54e_story.html (scroll down about halfway)

Old 06-22-2020, 07:10 PM

626 posts, read 463,132 times
Quote:

Of course they are moving north instead of south. The entire Miami metro has been pretty much completely built out for the past decade now. People are getting priced out and the only direction that real estate prices and future building growth can go now is toward the sky, which is actually a good thing long term in many people's eyes. It's the same reason that NYC and California are losing people..

Take a look at the charts and the article I linked below. Florida is gaining wealth from other states at a rate like nothing the U.S. has ever seen before. The charts show how much wealth has been gained in just one year 2018. I mean come on 17 billion Florida gained with Texas 2nd with 2 billion gained. It's an almost unbelievable difference.
Where do you think a majority of that money is going? South Florida, Tampa or Orlando? The article I linked shows South Florida gained over 60% more net personal income in 2018 compared to 2017. I can only imagine how much wealth will be coming down from New York and New Jersey because of the Coronavirus. It's already all over the news.

https://www.sun-sentinel.com/busines...2zi-story.html

Last edited by popka; 06-22-2020 at 08:36 PM..

Old 06-22-2020, 07:16 PM

Quote:
Of course they are moving north instead of south. The entire Miami metro has been pretty much completely built out for the past decade now. People are getting priced out and the only direction that future growth and prices can go now is toward the sky, which is actually a good thing long term in many people's eyes..
The creation of 2 classes of people as a good thing is debatable. The absence of a discernible middle class and the creation of the super rich and super poor is what created the blocks of zombies all over downtown SF and LA. Two hellhole cities because of stark income inequality.

Old 06-22-2020, 07:21 PM

7,409 posts, read 6,537,276 times
Except Miami and SoFla is still gaining population, including many better off individuals who are fleeing high tax states such as NY, NJ, CT, CA, and IL (and that was before Covid 19). Those leaving Miami earn median or below median income levels, cannot afford rising real estate prices, and are heading to less expensive areas of FL and elsewhere but represent a smaller total than those moving in.

https://www.bizjournals.com/southflo...e-fastest.html

https://www.brickunderground.com/esc...ing-to-florida

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.wsj...ef-11578501325

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/...g-leaving.html

Quote:
Of course they are moving north instead of south. The entire Miami metro has been pretty much completely built out for the past decade now. People are getting priced out and the only direction that future building growth and real estate prices can go now is toward the sky, which is actually a good thing long term in many people's eyes. It's the same reason that NYC and California are losing people..

Last edited by elchevere; 06-22-2020 at 07:42 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City