Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Most "green" city?
NYC 1 1.41%
Chicago 5 7.04%
Philadelphia 4 5.63%
Boston 4 5.63%
St Louis 1 1.41%
Pittsburgh 18 25.35%
Cincinnati 9 12.68%
KCMO 1 1.41%
Detroit 2 2.82%
Indy 3 4.23%
Cleveland 2 2.82%
Columbus 1 1.41%
Buffalo 0 0%
Rochester 3 4.23%
Grand Rapids 1 1.41%
Milwaukee 3 4.23%
Providence 0 0%
Hartford 1 1.41%
Baltimore 0 0%
DC 12 16.90%
Voters: 71. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2020, 08:21 PM

10,106 posts, read 9,956,241 times

Advertisements

Baltimore is known for its lack of trees, so I know we won't win this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2020, 09:37 PM

14,155 posts, read 9,047,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KodeBlue View Post
Baltimore is known for its lack of trees, so I know we won't win this.
There's only one city on the East Coast that has a smaller tree canopy.

I live in it.

The city has a program called TreePhilly that will hand out both street and yard trees to anyone who asks for them and agrees to look after them (another program sponsored by the Pennsylvania Horticultural Society will help with the latter). Its goal: to get the city's tree canopy up to 30 percent, not just citywide but in every neighborhood as well.

I made a business case for it from the homeowner's perspective back in 2018.

The trouble is, in Philadelphia as in Baltimore*, many homeowners, especially in low-income neighborhoods, believe trees break open their pipes and break up their sidewalks and thus want no part of street trees. Neither is the case: trees drill roots only into pipes that are already leaking, and a properly planted street tree of the right type should leave the sidewalk intact.

*I was a respondent to a symposium a Morgan State University architecture professor organized on possible futures for Baltimore four years ago. One of the presenters at the symposium represented an organization that does for Baltimoreans what TreePhilly does for Philadelphians. She told the story of a project they had planned for a barren East Baltimore block: they had picked out the trees and were all ready to dig the holes they would be placed in — until they arrived on the block and found a bunch of pissed-off residents who were having none of this. The lesson her group learned, she said: "Do your due diligence first." I think I'd characterize it as "Make sure you get buy-in from the residents first."

Old 06-29-2020, 12:11 AM

9,818 posts, read 7,923,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarketStEl View Post

I live in it.

The city has a program called TreePhilly that will hand out both street and yard trees to anyone who asks for them and agrees to look after them (another program sponsored by the Pennsylvania Horticultural Society will help with the latter). Its goal: to get the city's tree canopy up to 30 percent, not just citywide but in every neighborhood as well.

The trouble is, in Philadelphia as in Baltimore*, many homeowners, especially in low-income neighborhoods, believe trees break open their pipes and break up their sidewalks and thus want no part of street trees. Neither is the case: trees drill roots only into pipes that are already leaking, and a properly planted street tree of the right type should leave the sidewalk intact.

*I was a respondent to a symposium a Morgan State University architecture professor organized on possible futures for Baltimore four years ago. One of the presenters at the symposium represented an organization that does for Baltimoreans what TreePhilly does for Philadelphians. She told the story of a project they had planned for a barren East Baltimore block: they had picked out the trees and were all ready to dig the holes they would be placed in — until they arrived on the block and found a bunch of pissed-off residents who were having none of this. The lesson her group learned, she said: "Do your due diligence first." I think I'd characterize it as "Make sure you get buy-in from the residents first."
Wow! This explains a lot, about both cities.

Old 06-29-2020, 12:16 AM

10,106 posts, read 9,956,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarketStEl View Post

I live in it.

I can attest to the trees messing of the sidewalks, because I've seen it first hand on the block that I grew up on; coincidentally, I grew up a half block away from Morgan State University. That part of Baltimore (Northeast Baltimore) has good tree coverage, but once you reach 33rd street, and Especially North Ave., trees become scarce.

Old 06-29-2020, 04:47 AM

24,557 posts, read 18,239,810 times
I grew up on Elm Street. Dutch Elm disease got the last of the elms in the 1960s. There are an awful lot of cities that lost their trees then when times were tough with very stressed city budgets and neglected to replace their dead trees.

Old 06-29-2020, 05:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
I grew up on Elm Street. Dutch Elm disease got the last of the elms in the 1960s. There are an awful lot of cities that lost their trees then when times were tough with very stressed city budgets and neglected to replace their dead trees.
That happened in Kansas City too, where the boulevards were all denuded in the mid-1960s thanks to the Dutch elm disease.

I remember riding with my parents up Swope Parkway and seeing every tree marked with a white "X" to indicate it had to be cut down.

But times were not so tough that the Parks and Recreation Board couldn't plant new trees to replace the felled elms.

I was astonished to return to KC in 2014 and find that Benton Boulevard, the boulevard closest to my childhood home (one block to its east), had become a green cathedral thanks to the trees that had risen well above the street to the point where their branches met over it.

This is what the 4000 block (one block north and one east of the block I grew up on) looked like in the summer of 2016.

Old 06-29-2020, 07:42 AM

4,520 posts, read 5,093,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
Ditto in Cleveland when I was growing up. Many elms were sprayed and saved, but a lot of them we destroyed by the disease.

Old 06-29-2020, 07:51 AM

8,851 posts, read 5,864,131 times
As far as northeastern cities go- not familiar with them all, but while I don't think that anyone would consider Philly the "greenest," Fairmount Park definitely does add some nice amount of greenery to the outskirts of the city that many people don't think about. Similar to Lincoln Park in Chicago. Chicago wouldn't be considered the "greenest," but I don't know that many people from outside of Chicago realize how big Lincoln Park is (it stretches for miles off of Lake Michigan) and just how lush and green it is (with nice trials, etc).

Old 06-29-2020, 09:28 AM

1,803 posts, read 2,225,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScrappyJoe View Post
The Baltimore/DC feature the largest consistent areas of USDA Hardiness zone 7-8, making them the mildest in winter of all the cities listed here in the poll. Thus, in addition to the general abundant tree coverage typical of Eastern US cities, they also provide the best opportunities of seen evergreen lush vegetation (albeit cold hardy). So I'll go with these two.

Otherwise, both regions are utterly dead and lifeless during winter. There's probably not a single green tree in sight across the entire Midwest (other than some cold-looking boreal vegetation along the Canadian borders).
Not entirely true, much of the lower Midwest and even parts of the upper Midwest are warm enough to grow some hardy cultivars of Evergreen Southern Magnolia, we even have a few fairly large specimens here in Windsor, we are US hardiness zone 6B (7A) in Canada, but for the most part, yeah, it’s pretty lifeless looking in winter.

Old 06-29-2020, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by personone View Post
As far as northeastern cities go- not familiar with them all, but while I don't think that anyone would consider Philly the "greenest," Fairmount Park definitely does add some nice amount of greenery to the outskirts of the city that many people don't think about. Similar to Lincoln Park in Chicago. Chicago wouldn't be considered the "greenest," but I don't know that many people from outside of Chicago realize how big Lincoln Park is (it stretches for miles off of Lake Michigan) and just how lush and green it is (with nice trials, etc).
The problem here is, having a bunch of trees on a reservation does little or nothing to improve the environment or climate of the city streets. Only street trees do that.

The point of TreePhilly and similar programs in other cities is: You shouldn't have to go to where the trees are. The trees should be where you live already.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City