Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is the Triangle (Raleigh/Durham) more similar to Richmond or Atlanta?
Richmond 22 41.51%
Atlanta 31 58.49%
Voters: 53. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2020, 03:25 PM

1,023 posts, read 911,288 times

Advertisements

People definitely consider TN a neighboring state of VA. Heck, SW VA may as well be TN.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2020, 04:21 PM

37,881 posts, read 41,926,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mackro70 View Post
You took one sentence and misread my whole argument. Let me explain one more time. I could care less which roads or highways connect NC to GA or VA to TN. On this message board I have never read where someone considers TN a neighboring state to VA, even though the southwest corner of VA connects to TN. But, I see many statements that NC and GA are neighboring states even though only the southwest corner of NC connects to GA. What's the difference? There is a whole state named SC that exist between 99% of NC and GA.
TN and VA are technically neighbors and are referred to as such and no one blinks an eye. They just aren't talked about together a whole lot because they don't have as many ties and commonalities. TN considers itself a mid-South state whereas VA considers itself mid-Atlantic. Their largest cities are farther from each other and the only region they really have in common are the mountains, and that's really the sticking point here. The Appalachian mountains are beautiful and valuable, but they are also a formidible obstacle to development and transportation. The geography of the region constrains growth and connections and its hard to do a lot of building there. Contrast that with the Piedmont and coastal plain that are flat or whose elevational changes aren't as drastic. When you think about the I-81 corridor through TN and VA, Knoxville, which is just off the interstate but close to it where it connects to I-40, is the largest metro along it. Along I-85 between Atlanta and the Triangle, Knoxville is comparable to the smallest metro between those points, the Greenville/Spartanburg area. The corridor is more conducive to development with the infrastructural groundwork already laid in the 19th century with the advent of the railroad and textile mills following. The I-85 corridor from NC on through GA is considered an emerging megaregion, connecting the CSAs of Atlanta (6.9M), Charlotte (2.8M), the Triangle (2.1M), the Triad (1.7M), and the Upstate (1.5M). Although not on I-85 or technically within the Piedmont, Birmingham is directly connected to Atlanta via I-20 and its location in the Ridge and Valley geographic subregion is very similar to the Piedmont; it is considered to be the southwestern terminus of Piedmont megaregion.

GA and NC simply have greater ties and similarities in geography, development, industry, infrastructure, culture, etc. SC being between the two is no impediment to that and if anything, it cements the relationship between them via its own distinct relationship with each. Intetestingly enough, I've been back home in SC for several weeks now teleworking and have made trips to Charlotte and Atlanta a couple of times since then. I'm actually typing this post from downtown Atlanta and will be back in SC tomorrow.

Last edited by Mutiny77; 08-24-2020 at 04:31 PM..

Old 08-24-2020, 05:57 PM

9,818 posts, read 7,926,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
TN and VA are technically neighbors and are referred to as such and no one blinks an eye. They just aren't talked about together a whole lot because they don't have as many ties and commonalities. TN considers itself a mid-South state whereas VA considers itself mid-Atlantic. Their largest cities are farther from each other and the only region they really have in common are the mountains, and that's really the sticking point here. The Appalachian mountains are beautiful and valuable, but they are also a formidible obstacle to development and transportation. The geography of the region constrains growth and connections and its hard to do a lot of building there. Contrast that with the Piedmont and coastal plain that are flat or whose elevational changes aren't as drastic. When you think about the I-81 corridor through TN and VA, Knoxville, which is just off the interstate but close to it where it connects to I-40, is the largest metro along it. Along I-85 between Atlanta and the Triangle, Knoxville is comparable to the smallest metro between those points, the Greenville/Spartanburg area. The corridor is more conducive to development with the infrastructural groundwork already laid in the 19th century with the advent of the railroad and textile mills following. The I-85 corridor from NC on through GA is considered an emerging megaregion, connecting the CSAs of Atlanta (6.9M), Charlotte (2.8M), the Triangle (2.1M), the Triad (1.7M), and the Upstate (1.5M). Although not on I-85 or technically within the Piedmont, Birmingham is directly connected to Atlanta via I-20 and its location in the Ridge and Valley geographic subregion is very similar to the Piedmont; it is considered to be the southwestern terminus of Piedmont megaregion.

GA and NC simply have greater ties and similarities in geography, development, industry, infrastructure, culture, etc. SC being between the two is no impediment to that and if anything, it cements the relationship between them via its own distinct relationship with each. Intetestingly enough, I've been back home in SC for several weeks now teleworking and have made trips to Charlotte and Atlanta a couple of times since then. I'm actually typing this post from downtown Atlanta and will be back in SC tomorrow.
Great points and post, Mutiny! And welcome home, hope you've had a nice visit while in town.

Old 08-24-2020, 06:11 PM

3,866 posts, read 4,277,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mackro70 View Post
You took one sentence and misread my whole argument. Let me explain one more time. I could care less which roads or highways connect NC to GA or VA to TN. On this message board I have never read where someone considers TN a neighboring state to VA, even though the southwest corner of VA connects to TN. But, I see many statements that NC and GA are neighboring states even though only the southwest corner of NC connects to GA. What's the difference? There is a whole state named SC that exist between 99% of NC and GA.
I dig where you're coming from but this forum is a cornucopia of skyscraper/urban junkies. Most people would never consider NC and GA to be neighbors. And to the fact they share a small section of a border is of no consequence and would probably astound people who consider themselves to be somewhat geographically aware. Careful with your analysis because you could get hammered with a thesis (footnotes in bold) over a simple and yet obvious assertion.

Old 08-24-2020, 06:40 PM

1,228 posts, read 797,219 times
I’m sure this will get me in trouble with cantankerous folks on this thread, but honestly, I view the SC uplands as just “regional suburbs” and “edge cities” of Atlanta’s giant metro and Charlotte’s somewhat smaller metro. It is just broken up a bit by more semi-rural lakes, peach orchards, and the occasional fireworks warehouse. The Piedmont region from NE Atlanta up through about Raleigh share so much in common, it truly is a Superregion, and will continue to acceleratingly solidify as such. I travel this I-85 corridor frequently, and it is a great place to call home. The number of folks moving there from other Megaregions seem to attest to that.

Old 08-24-2020, 07:30 PM

9,818 posts, read 7,926,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Aristotle View Post
Most people would never consider NC and GA to be neighbors. And to the fact they share a small section of a border is of no consequence and would probably astound people who consider themselves to be somewhat geographically aware.
Anyone with a clue is very aware these two share a border, and anyone into geography not aware of this should be embarrassed. This isn't rocket science.

Old 08-24-2020, 09:08 PM

185 posts, read 127,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaleighSentinel View Post
I’m sure this will get me in trouble with cantankerous folks on this thread, but honestly, I view the SC uplands as just “regional suburbs” and “edge cities” of Atlanta’s giant metro and Charlotte’s somewhat smaller metro. It is just broken up a bit by more semi-rural lakes, peach orchards, and the occasional fireworks warehouse. The Piedmont region from NE Atlanta up through about Raleigh share so much in common, it truly is a Superregion, and will continue to acceleratingly solidify as such. I travel this I-85 corridor frequently, and it is a great place to call home. The number of folks moving there from other Megaregions seem to attest to that.
You're right, I think what you're saying makes no sense. And to totally dismiss the whole Upstate of South Carolina as regional suburbs and edge cities of Atlanta and Charlotte is ridiculous. So, Greenville's SC metro area has approximately 1 million people but it's just a regional suburb of Atlanta? Hopefully, someone from South Carolina an give their thoughts on this view of their Upstate region? And to say 400 miles of interstate along I-85 is so much alike that it should be considered one region sounds crazy to me. The Triangle is known for education/research/tech, the Triad is known for education/manufacturing/trade, Charlotte is known for banking, Greenville is known for textile/manufacturing/automotive research and Atlanta is known for business. So, please tell me how these are places are so much alike they should be considered one region? When I travel down I-85, I see different regions and respect each region for what it has accomplished and offers to it's home state. Not some Super Region dominated by Atlanta's and Charlotte metro areas. #smh
However, if you agree with this Super Piedmont Region idea, which evidently I don't, according to wikipedia you should also add Birmingham, Nashville and Memphis, also. Therefore, no metro won't be offended for not being included into the "Piedmont Mega Region"! LOL

Last edited by Mackro70; 08-24-2020 at 09:56 PM..

Old 08-25-2020, 07:12 AM

2,323 posts, read 1,560,328 times
Yo, this Makro guy really isn't grasping things. Nashville, Memphis, and Birmingham were already addressed. Atlantic Piedmont.

Old 08-25-2020, 07:38 AM

1,023 posts, read 911,288 times
Unrelated to the on going argument but Raleigh and Atlanta have a more similar share of new housing being built that are multifamily units.
Raleigh: 21.9%
Atlanta: 20.1%
Richmond: 46.4%

https://constructioncoverage.com/res...w-housing-2020

Old 08-25-2020, 07:47 AM

6,377 posts, read 5,490,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Aristotle View Post
I dig where you're coming from but this forum is a cornucopia of skyscraper/urban junkies. Most people would never consider NC and GA to be neighbors. And to the fact they share a small section of a border is of no consequence and would probably astound people who consider themselves to be somewhat geographically aware. Careful with your analysis because you could get hammered with a thesis (footnotes in bold) over a simple and yet obvious assertion.
The "urban junkies" should feel pretty dumb then. Considering if you head due-north of metro Atlanta; by far the most significant "urban" in GA.....the first state border you hit is that of NC (or TN depending on how far west you are)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City