Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-07-2020, 03:57 PM

12,157 posts, read 7,980,515 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
DC's median household income for 2019 is 92k up from 60k in 2010.

Bostons is 79k up from 51k in 2010.
Those are both very impressive.

And worrying.

Kick out the minorities and bring in the Yuppies seem to be both cities motto. hmm... Im all for redevelopment, but a little bit of equity is nice too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2020, 04:06 PM

6,470 posts, read 4,066,378 times
Quote:
Im well read on the history of Alief not Sharpstown/Chiantown. Hosuston is a gretat microcosim of Americas suburban dmeogrpahic shift over the past 30 years. Still the areas you ostd are strictly commercial in land use. I didn't say it was wrong ecuas enumbers are numbers just perhaps a little miselading on "urban" or "dense"

the images both you and I shared are extremely suburban.

Its nice that the areas diverse but is the correlation/significance? I guess is what im asking
I agree, it's extremely suburban, but I disagreed with you saying it didn't have Commercial areas, a significant portion of the district is commercial. My argument was that while it's suburban build it is denser currently than Baltimore, obviously the numbers showed this but I was saying that showing the actual Sharpstown neighborhood is very misleading because not even Houstonians associate Sharpstown with the actual neighborhood anymore.

The reason I pointed out the districts/diversity, is that these aren't just Indian Restaurants, or Hispanic Furniture Stores, but The Indian District, The Chinatown, The Viet-town, The largest Hispanic oriented mall in the Houston area. It's not just a diverse suburban area but the cultural center of many of the cultures that make up Houston. This to me makes it Valid as a center, even though it's suburban, the excellent Houston Bus the adjacent districts, the multiple commercial districts within it and flanking it (Westchase, Uptown) gives it more of a city-feel especially with the crowd (more cars than people) than a stereotypical dense 1950s era suburban community. i.e Mission Bend is actually denser and located about 5 miles West (from border to border, 8 miles from the center of both communities). With 8,000 ppsm vs. 7600 ppsm, but going there one place is clearly much more "city/urban", while the other is generic suburbia all the way. Sharpstown is actually denser but since something like 30% of the district is Commercial areas it's density numbers don't do it Justice.

tl;dr: Mission Bend is the description you gave the area. Pure residential, everyday suburbia and as a result is denser because it's pure suburbia with zero commercial areas, relatively quite and not crowded streets, Sharpstown is a bit more than that at Street Level, i.e constant traffic, at Rush Hour you see a lot of people milling about because of all the commercial offerings, although it's nothing like a real city center.

Old 10-07-2020, 04:14 PM

21,628 posts, read 12,718,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by masssachoicetts View Post

And worrying.

Kick out the minorities and bring in the Yuppies seem to be both cities motto. hmm... Im all for redevelopment, but a little bit of equity is nice too.
While both have seen 30k increases in median income Bostons barely added any net white residents since 2000 (+11k) and many more minority residents (+90k), and the population has become whiter since 2000. Boston may see that change but with COVID happening I don't expect it to happen for another 5 years at least. Boston has been pricing out many white families. The suburbs around Boston arent as affordable as DC so folks get locked into Boston, thats my theory.

Washington DC has been quite the opposite. It added white people (+87k) and fewer minorities (+47k) and the city has become whiter.

By 2030/2035 theyll have equal white shares and DC might have more white residents.

Both are more diverse now than they were in 2000 or 2010.

Last edited by BostonBornMassMade; 10-07-2020 at 05:00 PM..

Old 10-07-2020, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NigerianNightmare View Post
I agree, it's extremely suburban, but I disagreed with you saying it didn't have Commercial areas, a significant portion of the district is commercial. My argument was that while it's suburban build it is denser currently than Baltimore.
I said no mixed-use areas, very different than commercial areas/strips.

Old 10-07-2020, 04:26 PM

Quote:

And worrying.

I don't know, I generally think Gentrification's a good thing. Some people are stuck in a terrible neighborhood, especially if they own the home they sell. The move can really shake things up in someone's life in a good way.
For example Prince George's County growth is largely an Exodus of D.C Blacks moving into the suburbs. By every positive measuring stick, PG County is largely a better place to live than D.C for black folks, it has more black people in less black areas (D.C is half Black but the majority of those people live in 90% Black neighborhoods largely except for Far NW and some gentrifying areas of D.C which has a bit of a mix). I feel like way too many people say gentrification bad because it forces poor people to move but never asks where those folks are going. If gentrification leads poor people to the worst parts of Baltimore, then I could see the issue but if they go to a nicer (crime wise), part of the D.C metro or move out of the metro to a nicer but less expensive place I see no real reason to critique it other than the sentimental value of losing a home because you couldn't afford to stay. Gentrification is helping the suburbanization of black folks in America and generally the more black folks that live in the suburbs, the more likely that area is prospering. Of course theirs's exceptions but when you look into it, the most negative impact is commute time to good jobs.

Old 10-07-2020, 04:27 PM

12,157 posts, read 7,980,515 times
Quote:
I don't know, I generally think Gentrification's a good thing. Some people are stuck in a terrible neighborhood, especially if they own the home they sell. The move can really shake things up in someone's life in a good way.
For example Prince George's County growth is largely an Exodus of D.C Blacks moving into the suburbs. By every positive measuring stick, PG County is largely a better place to live than D.C for black folks, it has more black people in less black areas (D.C is half Black but the majority of those people live in 90% Black neighborhoods largely except for Far NW and some gentrifying areas of D.C which has a bit of a mix). I feel like way too many people say gentrification bad because it forces poor people to move but never asks where those folks are going. If gentrification leads poor people to the worst parts of Baltimore, then I could see the issue but if they go to a nicer (crime wise), part of the D.C metro or move out of the metro to a nicer but less expensive place I see no real reason to critique it other than the sentimental value of losing a home because you couldn't afford to stay. Gentrification is helping the suburbanization of black folks in America and generally the more black folks that live in the suburbs, the more likely that area is prospering. Of course theirs's exceptions but when you look into it, the most negative impact is commute time to good jobs.
Fair points. Didn't see it from that perspective. Well said.

Old 10-07-2020, 04:43 PM

Quote:
The issue is most places aren’t The DMV and when Black people get dislodged in a place like Boston there a 33% chance they end up in an unstable urban environment of high poverty/crime. https://commonwealthmagazine.org/hou...ateway-cities/

Whereas inner PG has crime it’s generally not as bad as SEDC. In Mass the urban cities outside of Boston have crime rates that are identical to the neighborhoods their leaving. Maybe with a lower homicide rate.

It doesn’t work the DMV way everywhere. There are some decent black/diverse suburban neighborhoods have evolved in the Boston a metro in the last ~15 years folks have moved to i(Malden Randolph Dedham Stoughton Framingham Milton Avon Everett). But there’s a but

There is still a high chance your bumped into a Subsidized apartment complex in heavily white (possibly racist) areas with little connection to the city or your social network. I saw a black boy was murdered in Dorchester this year- originally from Dorchester and displaced into affordable housing in heavily white Sutton MA 40 miles away. Move didn’t seem to help him.

For the lowest income black people reliant on social networks, apartments, social services and public transportation getting bounced out of Roxbury out to Sutton, Easton, North Andover, or Weymouth MA is a death knell for social mobility. Not PG County at all. No black power establishment, no black hair salons, no subway system?, no MBTA busses, limited social services, etc... The high rents/limited apartments and xenophobia keep people stuck in Boston to a degree-thank God.

/Off topic

Old 10-07-2020, 04:48 PM

Quote:
Fair points. Didn't see it from that perspective. Well said.
Sorry for the spiel in advance, this is a topic, I'm fairly passionate about.

A lot of people don't see it from that perspective though not to stray from the main topic too much but I think the anti-gentrification push is sometimes damaging to the black community, because like I said the most obvious example of gentrification is D.C Blacks to P.G County and Atlanta Blacks to surrounding areas most notably Clayton County, this has built 2 of the strongest black communities in the Nation.

One parable that is said across many cultures is that staying in one place for too long, can cause your mentality to be static as well, a good shake can help open your mind to possibilities that you've never seen before. Rather than being against gentrification, I think people should be encourage to own homes in their area, and if a wave of gentrification comes. Make out like a bandit and rebuild using the money of your old home to build a new more prosperous community or join and already prosperous one.

The issue of course that I still want to highlight is the cultural clash. Like the police being called on black block parties in formerly predominantly black neighborhoods, or moving to a suburb with no public transportation, the effect in the moment cannot be underestimated but by all measurements gentrification is a good thing in the long run because it leads to more integration racially and economically as well. It's one of the primary reasons suburbs are getting more and more poor people over time, but a suburb that goes from 15% in poverty to 20% in poverty can actually handle it, and they have local government that doesn't neglect the neighborhoods in the same way large cities do. Also people who move to suburbs "bring their culture" with them, but people often forget they get molded by their location as well. They see what all their neighbors are doing to improve their lifestyles and that rubs off, not everyone they know is poor and destitute. In the end you end up with Prince George's County which like I pointed out earlier would never have gotten the label of a Black Mecca imho if Gentrification hadn't sent thousands of D.C residents into the county.

https://www.dcpolicycenter.org/publi...r-destination/

This is the same for other regions of the Greater D.C Area. A poor person in Fairfax is still in Fairfax rather than the worst parts of D.C.

Old 10-07-2020, 04:49 PM

13,727 posts, read 15,736,928 times
Quote:
While both have seen 30k increases in median income Bostons barely added any net white residents since 2000 (+11k) and many more minority residents (+90k), and the population has become whiter since 2000. Boston may see that change but with COVID happening I don't expect it to happen for another 5 years at least. Boston has been pricing out many white families. The suburbs around Boston arent as affordable as DC so folks get locked into Boston, thats my theory.

Washington DC has been quite the opposite. It added white people (+87k) and fewer minorities (+4k) and the city has become whiter.

By 2030/2035 theyll have equal white shares and DC might have more white residents.

Both are more diverse now than they were in 2000 or 2010.
DC has gained people from every race since 2010. When you add 100,000 people in 61 sq. miles over the course of a decade, the percentages are going to change.

DC has gained thousands of black people since 2010, the city is not losing in raw numbers in any race. Young black professionals are moving into the city in droves. This has been discussed ad nauseam in other threads. Check the census data on black people in DC proper for proof.

Old 10-07-2020, 04:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDAllstar View Post
DC has gained people from every race since 2010. When you add 100,000 people in 61 sq. miles over the course of a decade, the percentages are going to change.

DC has gained thousands of black people since 2010, the city is not losing in raw numbers in any race. Young black professionals are moving into the city in droves. This has been discussed ad nauseam in other threads. Check the census data on black people in DC proper for proof.
My bad DC has added 47k minority residents since 2000 not 4k. Simple typo.

Fixed it:

Stilll same idea Demographic change in DC isn’t quite the same type as in Boston but they may because the suburbs are more affordable.

And there were fewer lower middle class white families in DC able to be displaced. Boston also in the northeast so it’s amazing they’re not losing whites I’ve Ruth least 20 years. Like every other city in the state and in the northeast.

White people moving to DC probably have a better sense of what to expect than those moving to Boston. I think a high share of white people move to Boston expecting it to be one way in their head and then it isn’t and they don’t stay. And opt for ones of the cities just outside of Boston. Anecdotally of course.

Boston attracts more immigrants into its city limits than DC. That explains another part of the minority growth being higher

Last edited by BostonBornMassMade; 10-07-2020 at 05:07 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City