Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-09-2020, 07:52 AM

14,009 posts, read 14,995,436 times

Advertisements

IMO it’s
1) Manhattan/Bronx
2) Brooklyn
3) Queens
4) Chicago
5) SF
6) Boston (minus W. rox/Hyde park +Cambridge, Somerville, Chelsea)
7) Philly
9) DC
10) NNJ
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2020, 08:30 AM

2,813 posts, read 2,278,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guineas View Post
A simple density calculation like the map above still reflects much better the actual reality on the ground than the awful data manipulation going on in this entire thread.
Pop density comparisons are pretty meaningless when comparing cities of radically different sizes. An average doesn't really tell us how dense the core is.
Everett MA is denser than Philadelphia or Chicago. But, being in the core of Philly or Chicago is clearly a far more urban experience.

Imo, Pop density figures have 3 limitations:
1) it doesn't tell us anything about the scale of density
2) it doesn't say how evenly spread or clustered the density is. A city with density clustered around a core will feel more urban than a city will fairly even or disconnected pockets of density.
3) it only focused on residential activity. In practice city vibrancy is also a function of workers and visitors

Old 10-09-2020, 08:37 AM

37,123 posts, read 39,337,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwright1 View Post
I keep hearing the word disjointedness about LA. How and why when describing LA within these boundaries? It's pretty dense. You could walk, Uber, catch a bus, ride the subway or lightlrail within this area. It has highrises, midrises, lowrise apts. Within the 50 square miles are the different nodes seperated by forest, lakes? Is it a long distance between the nodes or neighborhoods? Not at all. 960,000 within these boundaries is alot of people. I live within these boundaries and after living in different cities I don't find myself driving anymore than other cities I've lived in. So I think this car centric thing within the 50 square miles is not so LA, at least within these 50 square miles.
It is dense, but to me it's disjointed in two ways. You can see in a satellite view disjointedness is how its development has larger tracts of lower-density detached SFH blocks scattered throughout in the central 50 square miles and an especially large one with Hancock Park which is sizable and neighboring much more mixed-use and urban neighborhoods/corridors. The other way it's disjointed is the still fairly sizable amount of car-oriented / suburban-ish developments scattered in parts like surface parking lots, drive-through fast food places, grocery stores or other such with large parking lots, etc. that break up the urban fabric which while far fewer in numbers than before, still show up quite a bit. These could be traversed pretty easily if there were a lot of fast ways to do so, but traffic is at a snarl a lot of times for buses and cars and meanwhile that Purple Line subway extension and second phase of the Crenshaw line aren't up yet.

That being said it's still very urban despite such and part of that is the sheer density of people and the many. developments that have taken place that have often replaced surface parking lots and the like which is why I think it has a pretty solid argument over a 50 square mile contiguous are for being above some cities that are more traditionally thought of as urban.

Anyhow, I'm curious as to what 50 square mile boundary you'd draw for LA (and including some reasonable amount of greenspace).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boston Shudra View Post
Interesting. Wish we knew more about the data and how it was compiled.

Using that graph, Boston does pass Philly at around 125k people. I’m not sure where the line falls exactly, but 50 square miles is pretty small on the scale of UA/MSA/CSA.
Right, so something like a 5 or 10 square mile area would possibly favor Boston. At 50 square miles, then you're probably talking about where it's between 500k to about a million people for the cities in nephi's graph

Last edited by OyCrumbler; 10-09-2020 at 09:25 AM..

Old 10-09-2020, 08:39 AM

1,798 posts, read 1,121,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guineas View Post
A simple density calculation like the map above still reflects much better the actual reality on the ground than the awful data manipulation going on in this entire thread.

Imagine a donut without a hole, now you take out the hole (i.e., now you have a body of water), does the remaining donut change in consistency or quality because of the hole? This whole contiguous density thing is utter nonsense. By the logic of Boston Shudra (using 4 mi radius including water) and others on the thread, somehow a point in the donut without the hole must be a more urban experience than a point in a donut with the hole. It's nonsense.
Using arbitrary boundaries of jurisdictions that range from 36m2 to 500m2+ sounds more ridiculous than Boston Shudra's tool, especially if the tool had been used more uniformly.

Also, the tool was calculating total population, not density. What's the point of comparing the total population of 50m2 area of Houston to a 20m2 area of Seattle? The thread specifically asked for 50m2.

Old 10-09-2020, 08:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by btownboss4 View Post
IMO it’s
1) Manhattan/Bronx
2) Brooklyn
3) Queens
4) Chicago
5) SF
6) Boston (minus W. rox/Hyde park +Cambridge, Somerville, Chelsea)
7) Philly
9) DC
10) NNJ
If you're going to allow for different parts of the metropolitan area to be represented multiple times for every 50 square mile chunk, then the Tri-State Area would probably show up in five, maybe slots on the list with:

- Manhattan / part of the Bronx
- most of Brooklyn
- Western / Central Queens
- a good chunk of the rest of Queens and a bit of Brooklyn
- urban parts of Hudson and Bergen County in northern New Jersey
- another part of the Bronx / a bit of urban Westchester County

Last edited by OyCrumbler; 10-09-2020 at 09:00 AM..

Old 10-09-2020, 08:44 AM

21,627 posts, read 12,718,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpdivola View Post
Pop density comparisons are pretty meaningless when comparing cities of radically different sizes. An average doesn't really tell us how dense the core is.
Everett MA is denser than Philadelphia or Chicago. But, being in the core of Philly or Chicago is clearly a far more urban experience.
Well Everett isn't the core of Boston and most of Philly and Chicago isn't the core.. I don't think this is a great experience.

Everett really does feel very urban too.

Old 10-09-2020, 10:10 AM

8,856 posts, read 6,846,043 times
Some of you are omitting everything except housing.

Does an office tower or school count for nothing?

Old 10-09-2020, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhays25 View Post
Some of you are omitting everything except housing.

Does an office tower or school count for nothing?
Probably counts for a lot, but housing is pretty important since it also co-locates a lot of other businesses and services near it especially if it's at a certain density where it's enough of a population base to support a large number of such. Also, pretty much all of the places mentioned have massive employment centers within the most urban 50 square contiguous miles and they scale pretty well with the rankings a lot of people have written for the most part.

Old 10-09-2020, 10:32 AM

8,856 posts, read 6,846,043 times
Sure, but job concentration, colleges, and other factors will vary a lot in those 50 square mile areas.

Old 10-09-2020, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhays25 View Post
Sure, but job concentration, colleges, and other factors will vary a lot in those 50 square mile areas.
They do, but I think it's done a decent though imperfect job of correlating with population density so far with the larger outlier arguably being Los Angeles.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City