Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-01-2023, 03:57 PM

14,011 posts, read 14,995,436 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post
The 798k is from the 2016 census. As of 2021 census it is around 840K. In 50 Sq miles would be well over a million (probably around 1.2 million) as Old Toronto is surrounded by other densely populated areas of Toronto including East York, North York and York.
Yes you are right. If anything I’m not convinced Chicago is above Toronto anymore. In terms of pure urbanism rather than it being debatably close to Boston/Philly
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2023, 04:00 PM

3,525 posts, read 2,314,811 times
Quote:
The 798k is from the 2016 census. As of 2021 census it is around 840K. In 50 Sq miles would be well over a million (probably around 1.2 million) as Old Toronto is surrounded by other densely populated areas of Toronto including East York, North York and York.
NYC, Toronto & LA (*Chicago might) are the only cities the have to 1 million within 50 sq/mi (residential)

DC, Boston & Philly break into the group during daytime working populations.

Old 02-01-2023, 04:17 PM

15,102 posts, read 15,862,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by btownboss4 View Post
Yes you are right. If anything I’m not convinced Chicago is above Toronto anymore. In terms of pure urbanism rather than it being debatably close to Boston/Philly
Toronto has been growing gangbusters for awhile now. Even Toronto's DT population is greater than Chicago's now (residential population) with 275K in 6.7 sq miles. The only metric where Chicago beats Toronto in terms of population is it is a larger contiguous urbanized area and MSA. This is largely because Toronto has huge protected greenspace around it. If you blow both out to CSA area size however they are both hovering around 10 million. I think by 2026 census Toronto will be ahead in even this metric. You can't have a region growing by almost half million every 5 years pretty reliably for decades not moving up the ladder even against Chicago. I mean Montreal was bigger than Toronto up until the late 60's early 70's.

Urbanism is a subjective thing. I think in terms of walkable nabe's they are fairly even keel although I suspect Chicago's contiguous urban walkable stretch may be a bit larger. don't really know. I would agree with Oy that outside Old Toronto and chunks of York and East York Toronto walkable urbanity slides pretty considerably. That said, Chunks of Etobicoke and North York get honourable mentions as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joakim3 View Post
NYC, Toronto & LA (*Chicago might) are the only cities the have to 1 million within 50 sq/mi (residential)

DC, Boston & Philly break into the group during daytime working populations.
In terms of DC, Boston and Philly breaking into those groups during daytime working populations i'd imagine NYC, L.A and T.O would be getting a whole bunch too

Old 02-01-2023, 06:52 PM

3,525 posts, read 2,314,811 times
Quote:
In terms of DC, Boston and Philly breaking into those groups during daytime working populations i'd imagine NYC, L.A and T.O would be getting a whole bunch too
Manhattan by itself can touch 3 million people at peak hours but that mainly stems from internal geographic population shifts. NYC “only” gains about ~700k during the day time.

LA & Toronto? They’re middle of the pack. At best.

DC gains almost ~500k and has almost 2x the amount of people entering the city limits as the next closest cities (Boston, Chicago, SF, Montreal & Toronto)

LA, Philly, Seattle, etc… fail to break 200k daytime population gains for context.

Old 02-01-2023, 07:33 PM

15,102 posts, read 15,862,695 times
Quote:
Manhattan by itself can touch 3 million people at peak hours but that mainly stems from internal geographic population shifts. NYC “only” gains about ~700k during the day time.

DC gains almost ~500k and has almost 2x the amount of people entering the city limits as the next closest cities (Boston, Chicago, SF, Montreal & Toronto)

LA, Philly, Seattle, etc… fail to break 200k daytime population gains for context.
If i'm not understanding the context of what you are saying let me know.

I know there are over 500K jobs in the DT core of Toronto but not sure how many are commuting into it for work. Hard to get stats on that and it is dynamically moving target as covid recovery is still occuring. I think however if you have a high residential DT core population like Toronto, it would make more sense that it attracts less commuters into it as it already has a sizable part of the workforce living and working there. The DT core population is half of the employment population itself.

D.C otoh I think has just over 10K residents in its DT core? So it makes sense that it would have a larger in flow of working commuters into it's core for work since there aren't many living there. Also ofc, D.C has a lot of institutional employment as it is the capital of the nation.

So cities like Chicago, Toronto and S.F that have larger residential populations in and close to their cores would just not have the need for such high commuter inflows for work.

NYC is as you said in its own cosmos. It's always the outlier in any discussion related to other N.A cities except Mexico City so enough said about that. I'm surprised with L.A lower numbers but kind of makes sense as L.A is a more decentralized urban area relative to these other cities. You know better than me ofc regarding L.A.

The above doesn't account for visitors to the core's not coming in for work but just coming in to shop or for entertainment.

Old 02-01-2023, 08:01 PM

17,139 posts, read 15,341,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boston Shudra View Post
Do you have data to show that numbers 4-9 have more than 890k in 50 square miles, like I showed for Boston back in post 308? I believe you, at least for Chicago and SF, but I'd still love to see the data.
Toronto and Montreal absolutely do.

Old 02-01-2023, 08:26 PM

6,805 posts, read 6,027,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal813 View Post
Toronto and Montreal absolutely do.
Uhh…this is literally the opposite of what I asked for.

Old 02-02-2023, 04:50 AM

1,223 posts, read 2,265,137 times
I didn’t read all 40 pages but hopefully someone mentioned the fact the the entire city of Baltimore lies within 50 miles of the center of DC (or does the entire city of DC lie with 50 miles of the center of Baltimore?)

Old 02-02-2023, 06:50 AM

Location: That star on your map in the middle of the East Coast, DMV
8,128 posts, read 7,547,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deeman804 View Post
I didn’t read all 40 pages but hopefully someone mentioned the fact the the entire city of Baltimore lies within 50 miles of the center of DC (or does the entire city of DC lie with 50 miles of the center of Baltimore?)
They mean within a 50 mi sq area. So starting at the center of downtown, and radiating outward adding a sq mi at each interval. The issue is though, as in most thread, where does "urbanity" end and begin. What is urbanity?

As I stated before almost all of Baltimore city, at least 80-85% of it is contiguously urban. It's more contiguously urban by building structure than 90% of cities in America. And that urban contiguity clearly continues to its Northern and Western suburbs without interruption. Same with DC at its core going to the North and East direction. There's a lot of inconsistencies that I've seen here with regards to comparing the contiguity of urbanity in different cities.

Old 02-02-2023, 07:44 AM

21,628 posts, read 12,718,846 times
Quote:

? Boston population reaches a million everyday. Or at least pre pandemic. It was estimated to be 1.2 M with 2M On major occasion like a First. Night and Boston pops

https://www.boston.gov/sites/default...ay_spreads.pdf

“Today, with a population of approximately 667,000, a daytime population of nearly 1.2 million, and a weekday MBTA ridership of 1.3 million, Boston needs new projects, policies, and other solutions to accommodate even more trips by 2030.”

This has been the standard estimate for at least 7/8 years. From the city itself.

https://worldpopulationreview.com/us...-ma-population

“Interestingly, Boston's actual population fluctuates rapidly between day and night, as well as during special events. It's estimated that 1.2 million people are in the city during work hours, and 2 million during special events in the city, as hundreds of thousands of residents in the suburbs commute to the city for education, health care, and work.“
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City