Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city do you associate most with NC?
Asheville 5 4.76%
Charlotte 68 64.76%
Durham 1 0.95%
Greensboro 1 0.95%
Raleigh 27 25.71%
Wilmington 0 0%
Other (name the city) 3 2.86%
Voters: 105. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2020, 06:56 PM

719 posts, read 492,580 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rowhomecity View Post
I have been to Charlotte. For its size. It was pretty disappointing. Pittsburgh is about the same size and offers a true urban experience. I cannot say Charlotte does. (And yes metro Pittsburgh and Charlotte are nearly the same in size).

Raleigh is the fastest growing region I believe in the state.
But in your other post you said and I quote, " from what I heard...." You didn't say you had been to Charlotte. There is nothing disappointing or blah about it. Also Pittsburgh has good urbanity but it is far from a " true" urban experience(I'm a D.C. native).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2020, 06:58 PM

1,526 posts, read 1,984,149 times
Charlotte, NC

Old 10-27-2020, 07:15 PM

37,881 posts, read 41,910,477 times
Quote:
I have been to Charlotte. For its size. It was pretty disappointing. Pittsburgh is about the same size and offers a true urban experience. I cannot say Charlotte does. (And yes metro Pittsburgh and Charlotte are nearly the same in size).

If you've been to Charlotte, why did you say "from what you heard"? If you only made a connection at the airport or drove through, those don't really count as visits. At any rate, adjusting for size, Charlotte and Raleigh are quite comparable in terms of their feel/urban build so if you were disappointed with Charlotte, you wouldn't be impressed with Raleigh.

Pittsburgh is about as urban as it gets for cities its size in the country; it may be similar in size to Charlotte now but that surely wasn't the case over a century ago which explains why they are built so differently. Even so, Charlotte has been making great strides in becoming a more urban, walkable city in recent years considering its Sunbelt city status.

Raleigh is the fastest-growing metro area in the state, while metro Charlotte adds more people (on both sides of the state line). Both are among the fastest-growing places in the country.

Old 10-27-2020, 07:25 PM

6,772 posts, read 4,511,989 times
Quote:
I voted Raleigh because it has the most buzz.

Charlotte is larger, but from what I heard it is kind of blah for a city of its size.
I always roll my eyes when someone starts a declarative, supposedly first-person account with "from what I've heard" here on C-D, lol. It pretty much delutes the objectivity and actual knowledge.

Old 10-27-2020, 07:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by march2 View Post
I always roll my eyes when someone starts a declarative, supposedly first-person account with "from what I've heard" here on C-D, lol. It pretty much delutes the objectivity and actual knowledge.
But then, rather weirdly, he goes on to say that he has been to Charlotte. Sounds a bit...odd...to me.

Old 10-27-2020, 08:06 PM

2,856 posts, read 4,615,189 times
Charlotte. I find it hard that 25% of the voters think it's Raleigh.

Old 10-27-2020, 08:12 PM

2,539 posts, read 2,311,783 times
I am on CD quite a bit. And the general consensus is Charlotte is underwhelming for a city of its size. While Raleigh is smaller but offers a bigger punch.

I voted for Raleigh. And yes I have been to Charlotte. And its urban life is pretty devoid.

This is from a Northerner who only really knows those two cities in North Carolina and I have been to both.

I think Raleigh has a lot going for it.

Charlotte is just. smashed grapes. It is blah.

Old 10-27-2020, 09:03 PM

5,820 posts, read 5,622,386 times
Quote:
I voted Raleigh because it has the most buzz.

Charlotte is larger, but from what I heard it is kind of blah for a city of its size.
Quote:

Quote:
I am on CD quite a bit. And the general consensus is Charlotte is underwhelming for a city of its size. While Raleigh is smaller but offers a bigger punch.

I voted for Raleigh. And yes I have been to Charlotte. And its urban life is pretty devoid.

This is from a Northerner who only really knows those two cities in North Carolina and I have been to both.

Having been to both, and being a non-native or local, this is probably the point where you should explain why Raleigh "has a lot going for it" and "packs a bigger punch" compared to "blah" Charlotte....

If you were saying that the general consensus is that Rgh packs a bigger punch than Clt, you'd be very wrong...

Pittsburgh is the absolute crest of its weight class, and one of the truly special cities in the nation. That said, for "true urban experience" it really is just smashing Clt on build and neighborhoods. I'd give Pgh the edge for downtown but it isnt a tremendous gap; Clt absolutely offers the dining and retail you'd expect of a city its size, so no advantage to Pgh there; Pgh loses in transportation infrastructure as the interstate network is less sophisticated, the roads are worse, the mass transit is a draw...

And Clt offers a "true urban experience" in regards to the kinds of events it attracts and hosts...

Old 10-27-2020, 11:31 PM

2,539 posts, read 2,311,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by murksiderock View Post
Having been to both, and being a non-native or local, this is probably the point where you should explain why Raleigh "has a lot going for it" and "packs a bigger punch" compared to "blah" Charlotte....

If you were saying that the general consensus is that Rgh packs a bigger punch than Clt, you'd be very wrong...

Pittsburgh is the absolute crest of its weight class, and one of the truly special cities in the nation. That said, for "true urban experience" it really is just smashing Clt on build and neighborhoods. I'd give Pgh the edge for downtown but it isnt a tremendous gap; Clt absolutely offers the dining and retail you'd expect of a city its size, so no advantage to Pgh there; Pgh loses in transportation infrastructure as the interstate network is less sophisticated, the roads are worse, the mass transit is a draw...

And Clt offers a "true urban experience" in regards to the kinds of events it attracts and hosts...

I voted for Raleigh. Pittsburgh and Charlotte are in the same tier as cities in terms of GDP and population. And Pittsburgh actually has pretty good public transit. It ranks in the top 10 cities in the USA in terms of transit usage.

I think Raleigh has more going for it, and I recognize it is a tier below Charlotte.

Raleigh metro is also growing at a faster clip. My guess it is because Raleigh is more centralized in the state and closer to the East Coast corridor, Atlantic Ocean and 95 and the research triangle is driving a great deal of investment and transplants.

Old 10-28-2020, 12:58 AM

Quote:

You have zero standing to form anything close to an informed position on this matter. I don't believe you've had any actual recent experience with urban Charlotte--your lack of detailed firsthand experiences and constant references to what you've heard about the city are telltale signs--and to claim that Raleigh "offers a bigger punch" in terms of its built environment is just a baldfaced lie which shows you've never been there either. Both cities are rapidly urbanizing but Charlotte definitely has the edge in that department right now with its light rail line and having an overall more centralized development pattern.

You're just pitting cities against each other for no reason and picking a fight when you don't even have a dog in it just because you're bored. It's a pretty childish thing to do and no one takes you seriously. Nobody has a problem with you voting for Raleigh but your incessant need to turn every thread you post in into a juvenile p$%&@ng contest has gotten really old really fast.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City