Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-28-2020, 01:10 AM

140 posts, read 166,583 times

Advertisements

Anyone familiar with life in both of these cities?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2020, 01:46 AM

955 posts, read 609,913 times
Yes, I'm familiar with both. What would you like to know?

Cleveland is a much larger city overall (metro area, at their peaks Cleveland was nearly 3x the population of Rochester), and Cleveland's seen a bigger decline and all the things that go along with that. There's a lot of differences so please let us know what you wanna know.

Here is some extra info:

Weather: Rochester gets considerably more snow and is colder in winter. Cleveland is not known for amazing weather, but its winters are less bad, and the summers are slightly warmer.

Economy: Neither are amazing so I wouldn't put one over the other, honestly. Cleveland has higher GDP per capita, and is home to more Fortune 1000 companies (14 vs 3). Cleveland has a very strong healthcare sector.

Education: Honestly I'm not familiar enough on this subject but I do know Cleveland Metropolitan School District has a pretty awful reputation. Cleveland has more universities in its metro area, but I don't think there is a clear advantage for one city or the other in terms of having one amazing school.

Urban fabric: Rochester looks and feels a LOT smaller than Cleveland. Cleveland, particularly the entire downtown core, feels grander, wider streets, much taller buildings, the mall, Public Square, etc. everything is on a bigger scale. Cleveland can feel kind of empty in places but Rochester has a lot of vacant properties as well. Cleveland also has sections of the east side that are totally bombed out that I haven't seen in Rochester. The city limits are totally different sizes, but if you compare the counties they are in, Cleveland has 1.2 million people, and Rochester 750k, and Cleveland's county has twice the density.

Transportation: Cleveland wins with 1 heavy rail and 3 (2 really) light rail lines.

Shopping: Strictly within the city limits I think Cleveland takes it, with Tower City and the Arcade.

Food scene: Cleveland.

Traffic: I have no idea since I don't drive.

Diversity: It's a wash. Neither are big immigrant magnets, black people are the biggest group in both cities.

Last edited by kimumingyu; 11-28-2020 at 03:06 AM..

Old 11-28-2020, 08:09 AM

14,018 posts, read 14,998,668 times
Rochester is a great city but basically everything you can find in Rochester you can find in greater quantity in Cleveland. Although I think the Southern half of Rochester is a larger cohesive areas of very nice urban neighborhoods than anything Cleveland has. Also depending on your field Rochester might have better job opportunities in certain Engineering/Sciences fields that are non-medical.

Also Lake Ontario>>Lake Erie but Lake Erie is better located with Cleveland while Rochester is on the River.

Old 11-28-2020, 08:15 AM

93,218 posts, read 123,819,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by btownboss4 View Post
Rochester is a great city but basically everything you can find in Rochester you can find in greater quantity in Cleveland. Although I think the Southern half of Rochester is a larger cohesive areas of very nice urban neighborhoods than anything Cleveland has. Also depending on your field Rochester might have better job opportunities in certain Engineering/Sciences fields that are non-medical.

Also Lake Ontario>>Lake Erie but Lake Erie is better located with Cleveland while Rochester is on the River.
You mean the Eastern suburbs of Rochester, as the city/area is usually split in half between east and west, but I still knew what you were referring to.

Rochester also has a higher educational attainment, median income and average annual pay overall as well.

Old 11-28-2020, 08:43 AM

14,018 posts, read 14,998,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
You mean the Eastern suburbs of Rochester, as the city/area is usually split in half between east and west, but I still knew what you were referring to.

Rochester also has a higher educational attainment, median income and average annual pay overall as well.
No I was talking about the southern parts of the city proper. Corn Hill, South Wedge, the east end U of R area is all nice on both sides of the river. The Northern part of the city is much more run down, on both sides of the river.

The Suburbs are east/west but the city is split more north/south

Old 11-28-2020, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by btownboss4 View Post
No I was talking about the southern parts of the city proper. Corn Hill, South Wedge, the east end U of R area is all nice on both sides of the river. The Northern part of the city is much more run down, on both sides of the river.

The Suburbs are east/west but the city is split more north/south
Actually the outer NE Quadrant of the city is pretty solid to nice. Same with the outer NW Quadrant(northern half of the Maplewood neighborhood into Charlotte).

There are 4 Quadrants for the city, NE, NE, SW and SE: https://rocwiki.org/Rochester_Neighborhoods (some listed as SE are really NE like Northland-Lyceum and Homestead Heights)

Old 11-28-2020, 09:41 AM

6,405 posts, read 4,899,454 times
Here is the biggest difference:

Wikipedia:

"Cleveland Clinic's operating revenue in 2017 was $8.4 billion and its operating income $330 million. That year it recorded 7.6 million patient visits and 229,132 admissions. As of 2019, it has over 67,500 employees, a figure that includes over 17,000 registered nurses and advanced practice providers and over 4,520 physicians and scientists in 140 specialties.

In 2020–2021, Cleveland Clinic was ranked as the #2 overall hospital in the United States by the U.S. News & World Report, behind the Mayo Clinic in Rochester, Minnesota

In addition, Cleveland Clinic plays a significant role in the regional economy of Cleveland and the statewide economy. As of 2019, it is Ohio's largest employer, and generates $17.8 billion for the state."

I have been a patient there and its a world class facility.

Cleveland also has Baseball, Football and Basketball with a couple of championships. The eastern suburbs of Cleveland are infinitely nicer than anything in WNY. Rock and Roll Hall of Fame and Pro Football HOF nearby. The waterfront is awesome and much nicer than Buffalo. GDP of Cleveland is $171 Billion, Rochester is $57 Billion. Exactly 1/3rd. The 2 cities are really not comparable. Maybe Cincinnati and Rochester are closer.

Old 11-28-2020, 12:10 PM

811 posts, read 887,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thundarr457 View Post

Wikipedia:

"Cleveland Clinic's operating revenue in 2017 was $8.4 billion and its operating income $330 million. That year it recorded 7.6 million patient visits and 229,132 admissions. As of 2019, it has over 67,500 employees, a figure that includes over 17,000 registered nurses and advanced practice providers and over 4,520 physicians and scientists in 140 specialties.

In 2020–2021, Cleveland Clinic was ranked as the #2 overall hospital in the United States by the U.S. News & World Report, behind the Mayo Clinic in Rochester, Minnesota

In addition, Cleveland Clinic plays a significant role in the regional economy of Cleveland and the statewide economy. As of 2019, it is Ohio's largest employer, and generates $17.8 billion for the state."

Cleveland also has Baseball, Football and Basketball with a couple of championships. The eastern suburbs of Cleveland are infinitely nicer than anything in WNY. Rock and Roll Hall of Fame and Pro Football HOF nearby. The waterfront is awesome and much nicer than Buffalo. GDP of Cleveland is $171 Billion, Rochester is $57 Billion. Exactly 1/3rd. The 2 cities are really not comparable. Maybe Cincinnati and Rochester are closer.
I agree. Rochester is just not on the same level as a city like Cleveland. In addition to Cleveland Clinic, Cleveland also has UH Health system which is no slouch in healthcare.

Old 11-28-2020, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thundarr457 View Post

Wikipedia:

Actually, Cleveland’s GDP is a little over $119 billion, which is a little over double. That makes sense given that the Cleveland metro area has about double the population.

https://apps.bea.gov/itable/download.cfm

Old 11-28-2020, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KY_Transplant View Post
I agree. Rochester is just not on the same level as a city like Cleveland. In addition to Cleveland Clinic, Cleveland also has UH Health system which is no slouch in healthcare.
While not as regarded, Rochester has the University of Rochester Medicine System: https://www.urmc.rochester.edu/explore.aspx
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City