Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-07-2022, 11:15 AM

27,169 posts, read 43,857,618 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpomp View Post
I'd replace Phoenix with Philadelphia. Per the last count, it appears the Philly area has a few more names and a few with multiple locations (Tiffany's for example).

And Boston and DC should swap places.
There's very little high-end retail left in Center City Philly after the BLM riots and pandemic. King Of Prussia Mall is really the only saving grace remaining.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2022, 11:38 AM

36,653 posts, read 67,476,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
In terms of complete market (entire MSA) versus cherry-picking certain retailers, I would say the following:

NYC
LA
Miami
Dallas
Chicago
Houston
DC
Boston
Atlanta
Phoenix
One day San Francisco can hope to be good enough to make your list

Old 11-07-2022, 11:52 AM

9,377 posts, read 9,319,932 times
Quote:
There's very little high-end retail left in Center City Philly after the BLM riots and pandemic. King Of Prussia Mall is really the only saving grace remaining.
King of Prussia has been a massive premiere shopping destination for decades. "Saving grace" is poor terminology and many cities would be in the same boat if their premiere mall were removed. And to your point, how is Phoenix any better off? Every high-end store in the Phoenix MSA is located in Fashion Square Mall in Scottsdale.

And while Center City isn't stacked with luxury offerings, it has a decent amount of up-market retailers (Tiffany's, Rolex, Theory, Rag & Bone, Vince, etc.), so it's not bleak like you suggest. And the BLM riots have nothing to do with that, you should know that.

Last edited by cpomp; 11-07-2022 at 12:48 PM..

Old 11-07-2022, 12:33 PM

7,268 posts, read 10,585,214 times
Quote:
As the 3rd largest mall in the US by leasable retail space, KoP is a pretty massive "saving grace."

The death of high-end retail in Center City is also greatly exaggerated; it's hit a low point, for sure, but there's always been churn and new retailers continue to take space. It's certainly not for a lack of wealth, as greater Center City is as wealthy as it's ever been.

It's not reasonable to say the Philly metro is Top 5 for high-end shopping, but it absolutely makes the cut for Top 10 (competitive with Atlanta) based on quantity and market size alone.

Old 11-07-2022, 04:22 PM

496 posts, read 350,674 times
Quote:
In terms of complete market (entire MSA) versus cherry-picking certain retailers, I would say the following:

NYC
LA
Miami
Dallas
Chicago
Houston
DC
Boston
Atlanta
Phoenix
Why do you guys keep forgetting SF lol

Old 11-07-2022, 05:34 PM

9,853 posts, read 6,566,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SixthCoordinate View Post
My guess is that LA overshadows it in California.

Old 11-07-2022, 05:36 PM

9,853 posts, read 6,566,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpomp View Post
Do you think Chicago could make a claim to join the above group? Or a tier lower?
I am always impressed by the designers names in downtown Chicago, including a few brands only found in 4-5 US cities (Graff for example).
Chicago’s shopping experience is top notch. Not sure why they don’t do as good as the others in attracting brands. My guess is that real estate and prices on MagMile has something to do with that.

Old 11-07-2022, 06:24 PM

36,653 posts, read 67,476,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ParaguaneroSwag View Post
My guess is that LA overshadows it in California.
LA is 400 miles away. That might be the perception of those forumers but we have crunched the numbers in this thread several times and the Bay Area is certainly above many of those places- but again whatever, no sense in making a thing out of someone else's opinion.

Old 11-07-2022, 06:51 PM

9,377 posts, read 9,319,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SixthCoordinate View Post
In my defense, I just completely forgot, it wasn't a slight. I made the list in a rush.

Quote:
Chicago’s shopping experience is top notch. Not sure why they don’t do as good as the others in attracting brands. My guess is that real estate and prices on MagMile has something to do with that.
Many of the most exclusive retailers are actually on Oak Street and Rush Street. Unless you mean rents along Mag Mile in general.

Old 11-07-2022, 07:01 PM

496 posts, read 350,674 times
Quote:
Midwestern humility.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City