Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-08-2022, 12:42 PM

676 posts, read 648,486 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SixthCoordinate View Post
Why do you guys keep forgetting SF lol
As if SF wasn't already heavily overlooked for its luxury retail offerings, firmly placing it easily within the top 10 if not top 5, SF (if you include Napa Valley) has more 3* Michelin restaurants than anywhere else in the country with 6 over New York State's 5
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2022, 09:49 PM

497 posts, read 352,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by svelten View Post
As if SF wasn't already heavily overlooked for its luxury retail offerings, firmly placing it easily within the top 10 if not top 5, SF (if you include Napa Valley) has more 3* Michelin restaurants than anywhere else in the country with 6 over New York State's 5
I guess Tech is too dominant that people just think of Tech whenever they think of SF lol

Old 11-09-2022, 08:38 PM

1,982 posts, read 2,090,334 times
Quote:
To be fair, the vast majority of the country doesn't have a Michelin guide. The only competition are Florida, NYC, Chicago, DC, and the rest of California.

Old 11-09-2022, 09:58 PM

676 posts, read 648,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soonhun View Post
To be fair, the vast majority of the country doesn't have a Michelin guide. The only competition are Florida, NYC, Chicago, DC, and the rest of California.
I'd be genuinely curious and not in a dismissive way at all to know what other metro regions/CSAs could have a shot at six 3* restaurants if NYC, rest of Cali or Florida don't. I'm not too familiar with the ultra high end dining scene across the country.

Old 11-09-2022, 10:28 PM

497 posts, read 352,105 times
Quote:
I'd be genuinely curious and not in a dismissive way at all to know what other metro regions/CSAs could have a shot at six 3* restaurants if NYC, rest of Cali or Florida don't. I'm not too familiar with the ultra high end dining scene across the country.
Not much. When it comes to fine dining, NYC and SF really are at the top.

Old 11-10-2022, 01:01 AM

1,982 posts, read 2,090,334 times
Quote:
This is a myth. Michelin stars are not restricted to high end or fine dining. San Francisco has an amazing culinary scene. But bragging about the number of Michelin star restaurants it has to illustrate or imply it's superiority over other cities or metros is misleading when most aren't evaluated by the organization. They don't even cover Las Vegas any more.

https://guide.michelin.com/en/articl...guide-debunked

Old 11-10-2022, 04:27 AM

14,177 posts, read 9,068,877 times
Quote:
This is a myth. Michelin stars are not restricted to high end or fine dining. San Francisco has an amazing culinary scene. But bragging about the number of Michelin star restaurants it has to illustrate or imply it's superiority over other cities or metros is misleading when most aren't evaluated by the organization. They don't even cover Las Vegas any more.

https://guide.michelin.com/en/articl...guide-debunked
Apparently, it's a persistent and strong one: Michelin even came out with a special award called "Bib Gourmand" that recognizes restaurants that deliver outstanding value for the money for a three-course dinner for this reason. Yet those restaurants don't seem to get discussed much. (Wonder if there are any in the US, and what the price ceiling would be for a US restaurant to be considered? Edited to add: Just read the article you linked; it's $40, an amount I'd consider reasonable for a three-course meal.)

But I agree that the Guide Michelin's limited coverage of the US makes it less than ideal as a means of comparing the dining scenes of US cities, since many cities with great dining scenes — including the one I live in — don't have Michelin guides covering them. And I wonder what the Michelin reviewers would do with your typical BBQ joint. (Edited to add further: Well, if Michelin is handing out stars to street food stalls in Hong Kong, I guess I need not wonder.)

Last edited by MarketStEl; 11-10-2022 at 04:39 AM..

Old 11-10-2022, 02:26 PM

36,659 posts, read 67,526,972 times
Quote:
Well this is the very nature of this thread, exclusivity right?

Michelin guides arent everywhere just like Chanel and Cartier are not everywhere.

SF had its own guide that was an actual expansion choice by Michelin, not solicited by SF at all, even after LA and Vegas both had their guides cancelled for weak demand and only now the rest of the state is being combined with the SF guide and has been renamed the California guide, otherwise the SF guide by itself had more 3-star restaurants than NY which is pretty impressive, who knows if that will last.

Anyhow, Vancouver's first guide just came out a few weeks ago:

Vancouver’s 2022 Michelin Stars
One star:

AnnaLena
Barbara
Burdock & Co
iDen & QuanJuDe Beijing Duck House
Kissa Tanto
Masayoshi
Published on Main
St. Lawrence

8 Vancouver restaurants scored 1-star ratings, none scored 2 or 3 stars.

Old 11-10-2022, 02:27 PM

36,659 posts, read 67,526,972 times
BVLGARI LOCATIONS in the United States

Midwestern US: 1
Chicago-909 N Michigan Avenue

Northeastern US: 5
Boston-14 Newbury Street
King of Prussia, PA-King of Prussia Mall
New York-730 Fifth Avenue
Short Hills, NJ-Short Hills Mall
Washington DC-City CenterDC

Southern US: 4
Bal Harbour-Shops at Bal Harbour
Houston-The Galleria
Miami-Miami Design District
Orlando-Mall at Millenia

Western US: 8
Beverly Hills-401 N Rodeo Drive
Costa Mesa-South Coast Plaza
Honolulu-Ala Moana Shopping Center
Las Vegas-The Shops at Crystals
Las Vegas-Via Bellagio
San Francisco-200 Stockton Street
Santa Clara-Valley Fair
Scottsdale-Scottsdale Fashion Square

No Dallas? That's odd imo.

Old 11-10-2022, 02:53 PM

9,893 posts, read 6,589,672 times
The Dallas BVLGARI closed just after the pandemic. I’d suppose they’ll re-enter the market at some point.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City