Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-03-2020, 07:55 AM

9,377 posts, read 9,319,932 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rowhomecity View Post
Dallas actually lost its Saks. And Dallas does not have a full line Bloomingdales.

I really think it would be smart if the Saks in Philadelphia relocated to what will be the vacant Lord & Taylor at King of Prussia. Its current location makes sense in some ways as it is at the convergence of Chestnut Hill, Center City (Rittenhouse) and The Main Line. But eh, it is kind of lost on City Ave.
I saw, and Miami is losing a few high-end names, I believe Bloomingdales and a Neimans? Or maybe its Ft. Lauderdale?

Agreed. Hudson Bay actually owns the Lord & Taylor space in KoP, so it would be an easy transition into a Saks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by citidata18 View Post
When I'm thinking high-end, I'm thinking lux level.
In that case, yea. Then its Saks and Neiman Marcus, followed by Bloomingdales.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2020, 08:00 AM

8,302 posts, read 5,696,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpomp View Post
I saw, and Miami is losing a few high-end names, I believe Bloomingdales and a Neimans? Or maybe its Ft. Lauderdale?
So far, only the Neiman Marcus store in West Palm Beach closed as part of its recent COVID bankruptcy.

That said, I'd argue the Miami area is grossly oversaturated with high-end department stores, as it still has 4 other Neimans, 6 Saks, and 4 Bloomies. Plenty of room for fat-trimming there when they decide to close more stores.

Old 12-03-2020, 08:04 AM

961 posts, read 721,516 times
Quote:
Nordstrom is definitely higher end than Macy's or JC Penney, but I would still place it a tier below Neimans, Saks, etc. In the past decade, Nordstrom has shifted their business model to catering towards budget-conscious millennials, unlike Neimans and Saks who both make it clear that if you're broke, get the hell out of our store.

This is how I would tier the big department stores in the country:

Tier 1 (High-End):

Bloomingdales, Saks Fifth Avenue, Neiman Marcus

Tier 2 (Upper Mid-Tier):

Lord & Taylor (soon to be gone), Nordstrom

Tier 3 (Mid-Tier):

Dillard's, Von Maur

Tier 4 (Lower Mid-Tier):

Macy's

Tier 5 (Low-End):

JC Penney, Kohl's, Belk, Sears, Boscov's
Yeah, that's a solid tiering. I'd add Barney's to the top tier (maybe the top of the top tier for national stores) despite bankruptcy last year. And may put L&T a notch below Nordstrom at this point. But otherwise seems right.

Old 12-03-2020, 08:09 AM

9,377 posts, read 9,319,932 times
Quote:
So far, only the Neiman Marcus store in West Palm Beach closed as part of its recent COVID bankruptcy.

That said, I'd argue the Miami area is grossly oversaturated with high-end department stores, as it still has 4 other Neimans, 6 Saks, and 4 Bloomies. Plenty of room for fat-trimming there when they decide to close more stores.
O wow, I didn't know about Palm Beach. But yes, between Miami and Ft. Lauderdale there is a saturation, and these days that probably won't last.

And I just Googled, Bloomingdales is closing their Falls Mall location near Miami, and Neimans is closing their Ft. Lauderdale location.

2,539 posts, read 2,310,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcb175 View Post
Yeah, that's a solid tiering. I'd add Barney's to the top tier (maybe the top of the top tier for national stores) despite bankruptcy last year. And may put L&T a notch below Nordstrom at this point. But otherwise seems right.
I agree.

I wonder with Barney's and L & T closing this year, if that will increase sales at Bloomingdales and Nordstrom??

I sure hope so. We have both in Southeast Pennsylvania (actually two full line Bloomingdales) and I would hate to see them flounder.

7,407 posts, read 6,537,276 times
Nieman closed everywhere, no?

The stand-alone boutiques are doing fine...Canali consolidated from its Gables/Merrick Park location into Bal Harbour a couple of years ago (still has an outlet location at Sawgrass); Brioni, Kiton, Berluti doing fine. The one notable high end shoe brand, Santoni, closed its shop at Brickell City Centre.

Quote:

Old 12-03-2020, 08:11 AM

2,539 posts, read 2,310,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elchevere View Post
Nieman closed everywhere, no?

The stand-alone boutiques are doing fine...Canali consolidated from its Gables/Merrick Park location into Bal Harbour a couple of years ago (still has an outlet location at Sawgrass); Brioni, Kiton, Berluti doing fine. The one notable high end shoe brand, Santoni, closed its shop at Brickell City Centre.
No Nieman Marcus is not closing stores everywhere. That is false. There is one in Southeast Pennsylvania and it does quite well.

Old 12-03-2020, 08:18 AM

7,407 posts, read 6,537,276 times
Thanks, you are correct...just checked and the 3 remaining Neiman’s in Coral Gables, Bal Harbour and Boca Raton remain open.

Quote:
No Nieman Marcus is not closing stores everywhere. That is false. There is one in Southeast Pennsylvania and it does quite well.

Old 12-03-2020, 08:19 AM

955 posts, read 609,762 times
Quote:
Nordstrom is definitely higher end than Macy's or JC Penney, but I would still place it a tier below Neimans, Saks, etc. In the past decade, Nordstrom has shifted their business model to catering towards budget-conscious millennials, unlike Neimans and Saks who both make it clear that if you're broke, get the hell out of our store.

This is how I would tier the big department stores in the country:

Tier 1 (High-End):

Bloomingdales, Saks Fifth Avenue, Neiman Marcus

Tier 2 (Upper Mid-Tier):

Lord & Taylor (soon to be gone), Nordstrom

Tier 3 (Mid-Tier):

Dillard's, Von Maur

Tier 4 (Lower Mid-Tier):

Macy's

Tier 5 (Low-End):

JC Penney, Kohl's, Belk, Sears, Boscov's
I agree with this list but there are plenty of very wealthy people (like myself) who regularly shop at Nordstrom. I'd put it at Tier 1.5.

Old 12-03-2020, 08:20 AM

Location: That star on your map in the middle of the East Coast, DMV
8,128 posts, read 7,547,924 times
Quote:
Don't hold your breath. The "American Dream" (what a corny name) Mall in New Jersey has been a complete disaster.
That location is horrific though. I parked in their garage last season when I went up to a game at the Meadowlands. Such an odd place to put a "high end" mall or even just a mid tier retail "mega mall". N Jersey is flooded with large enough malls already, it truly wasn't necessary to add that one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City