Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-08-2020, 08:24 AM

1,260 posts, read 944,170 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by personone View Post
Yup, this is obvious and is what the majority of posters have mentioned. Chicago offers a similar experience to NYC, but on a smaller scale and less expensive. As you have mentioned, Philly does as well.

It strikes a nerve with this poster when Chicago is paired with NYC and other NE cities, and DC is left out (since it's an outlier and doesn't offer the traditional "big-city" experience that the NE cities do- NYC, Philly, Boston). The fact that everyone on this thread is mentioning that Chicago will provide a better NYC-light experience than DC hurts.....
Yeah, if you are looking for NYC-light, Chicago is not quite it. The vibe in Chicago is very different. While it may "look" like NYC-light because of its built environment, it does not feel like it once you get here.

In my experience Toronto is what comes closest to the international vibe that NYC gives. I feel like Toronto is more similar to NYC than Chicago is. But then we would be crossing borders.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2020, 08:25 AM

8,302 posts, read 5,698,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the resident09 View Post
Miami, then DC.

Not sure why one would leave NYC for Chi honestly.
Chicago has its positive attributes and it's not a bad choice, but if I were a high income business owner like the OP says their friend is, the city and state's fiscal situation would be a turn off.

Old 12-08-2020, 08:35 AM

I think the OP's friend should spend some time in each to get a feel and vibe. If they make that kind of money they can certainly afford to stay in each city 2 weeks.

IMO I think it's between Chicago and Miami, and edge to Miami. Aside from climate change, I think Miami has the brightest future, just based on the way it's growing.

Old 12-08-2020, 08:36 AM

Location: That star on your map in the middle of the East Coast, DMV
8,128 posts, read 7,552,695 times
Not sure why certain posters get so butt hurt easily from practical assessments. NO pertaining to this specific OP being presented, I don't see what the purpose of leaving NYC for Chicago would make in comparison to choosing the others.

If he's looking for NY-lite with lower prices, why not stay close to home and move to Philly? In both Miami and Washington DC, you get significantly different types of city/metro areas surrounding them that offer a great change of pace, and different setup/style than NYC. With the case of DC you can just shoot back up to NYC whenever you want to.

All of these places are a "step down" from NYC, so arguing about the little tidbits between them is moot. DC most diverse/jobs, Miami best weather/fun, Chicago biggest feel/ best food. To me the latter would not be enough for me to choose it in front of the other two IF I were coming from NYC.

Last edited by the resident09; 12-08-2020 at 08:46 AM..

Old 12-08-2020, 08:38 AM

3,332 posts, read 3,692,696 times
Chicago on ground doesn't feel like NYC.. I've lived in both and not sure why people keeping saying it's a good substitute. With that said Chicago is great as it is without feeling like NYC.. My only concern with Chicago is weather and lack of nearby outdoor destinations or attractions.

Miami would give you the beach vibe and DC would give you easier access to NYC.

Old 12-08-2020, 08:48 AM

8,302 posts, read 5,698,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ebck120 View Post
Chicago on ground doesn't feel like NYC.. I've lived in both and not sure why people keeping saying it's a good substitute. With that said Chicago is great as it is without feeling like NYC.. My only concern with Chicago is weather and lack of nearby outdoor destinations or attractions.

Miami would give you the beach vibe and DC would give you easier access to NYC.
I'm not sure why weather would be a dealbreaker if someone were coming from NYC to Chicago.

Their climates are pretty similar.

Old 12-08-2020, 08:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by citidata18 View Post
I'm not sure why weather would be a dealbreaker if someone were coming from NYC to Chicago.

Chicago winters are more intense. However, it balances it out because NYC summers an be pretty bad in their own right and Chicago summer, generally are amazing.

NYC slightly better winter, Chicago slightly better summer. Pick your poison.

Old 12-08-2020, 08:54 AM

7,409 posts, read 6,542,189 times
I think the OP (or friend) should also spend more time on the individual CD forums for the respective cities.

Old 12-08-2020, 09:07 AM

3,332 posts, read 3,692,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citidata18 View Post

Winter in Chicago is much worse. The wind especially makes it unbearable and beyond the temps, it's very overcast and grey for much of winter in Chicago which can be quite depressing.

Old 12-08-2020, 09:11 AM

8,851 posts, read 5,864,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkertinker View Post
I think the OP's friend should spend some time in each to get a feel and vibe. If they make that kind of money they can certainly afford to stay in each city 2 weeks.

IMO I think it's between Chicago and Miami, and edge to Miami. Aside from climate change, I think Miami has the brightest future, just based on the way it's growing.
Agree. This comes down to Miami and Chicago. And it's an easy decision for the OP (or his friend); as they are so different and weather and lifestyle preference (urban vs beach) would make the decision pretty easy.

I can see the case for either Miami or Chicago. I think a better 3rd choice would have been to substitute Philly for DC, as it has a compelling case as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City