Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-08-2020, 09:19 AM

1,260 posts, read 944,338 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by personone View Post
Agree. This comes down to Miami and Chicago. And it's an easy decision for the OP (or his friend); as they are so different and weather and lifestyle preference (urban vs beach) would make the decision pretty easy.

I can see the case for either Miami or Chicago. I think a better 3rd choice would have been to substitute Philly for DC, as it has a compelling case as well.
DC is just too specific type of a place. Great place if you want to work in government, but if not, I would dare say you have no business being there. Lol.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2020, 09:44 AM

5,347 posts, read 10,154,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IronWright View Post
In the simplest of terms Chicago is a smaller New York at half the price but is easily the only contender to offer a semblance of being in a skyscraper mega-city and all the pre-war urban landscapes of a certain scale and aesthetic that comes with being that.

Chicago is not a smaller New York. It's a great city in its own right. The vibe, pace and attitude is totally different. I would pick Miami over both DC and Chicago.

Old 12-08-2020, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpomp View Post
Chicago checks the most boxes.

For starters, Chicago is NYC light, a move from NYC to Chicago is not a major shock to the system compared to a Miami move (totally different vibe) or DC which is a lot smaller.

As mentioned, Chicago offers all the big city amenities at a fraction of NYC price, especially for someone making $350k, he can live a very nice life in any part of the city.

All 3 have huge airports, Chicago has the largest airport and is United's main hub.

Chicago and Miami offer a lot of diversity, Miami wins here though.

I have been out of the dating scene for a bit, but I would peg Chicago similar to NYC, a lot of people/options. DC dating scene is small and not sure about Miami.

Downside to Chicago is the colder climate (if that matters to him). But summers in Chicago are the best.

My rank would be Chicago by a lot, unless your friend wants the Miami vibe, then go with Miami.

This post is shallow. The shock would be moving from an east coast lifestyle to the midwest. Totally different vibe. DC's dating scene is diverse with a lot of options, however, Miami has more of an international flavor that Chicago or DC can't match.

Old 12-08-2020, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by personone View Post
Yup, this is obvious and is what the majority of posters have mentioned. Chicago offers a similar experience to NYC, but on a smaller scale and less expensive. As you have mentioned, Philly does as well.

It strikes a nerve with this poster when Chicago is paired with NYC and other NE cities, and DC is left out (since it's an outlier and doesn't offer the traditional "big-city" experience that the NE cities do- NYC, Philly, Boston). The fact that everyone on this thread is mentioning that Chicago will provide a better NYC-light experience than DC hurts.....

This is hilarious. DC is 1/4 the size of Chicago but punches well above its weight and exceeds Chicago in a lot of factors that I will not name. Why should anyone from DC be hurt when it's arguable the most important city in the free world. I agree the Chicago provides a better big city experience than DC, however, calling it NY lite is silly. It doesn't look like or feel like NYC on the ground. It's totally Midwestern in everything that it does. Totally!

Old 12-08-2020, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkertinker View Post
DC is just too specific type of a place. Great place if you want to work in government, but if not, I would dare say you have no business being there. Lol.

I don't know what this means. LOL

Old 12-08-2020, 10:22 AM

Location: That star on your map in the middle of the East Coast, DMV
8,128 posts, read 7,552,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkertinker View Post
This is pretty off base and silly. DC is long past being an all government town. Have you been to DC in the past 5 years?

There are more tech workers in DC, than Miami and Chicago combined. It's the most profound professional workforce of the three overall, DC has life sciences, banking, IT, media etc. for jobs in addition to "government" (which it dominates the others). The DC metropolitan area has twice the amount of Fortune 500, and Fortune 1000 companies that Miami does. Do you understand how more well rounded of a job base that is?

That's like saying well you shouldn't really look to Miami cause there's really only one specific type of person you can be there, a real estate agent or club owner.

FWIW I still picked Miami for the criteria that the OP lists, but your comment was supremely off base.

Old 12-08-2020, 10:27 AM

1,260 posts, read 944,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the resident09 View Post
This is pretty off base and silly. DC is long past being an all government town. Have you been to DC in the past 5 years?

There are more tech workers in DC, than Miami and Chicago combined. It's the most profound professional workforce of the three overall, DC has life sciences, banking, IT, media etc. for jobs in addition to "government" (which it dominates the others). The DC metropolitan area has twice the amount of Fortune 500, and Fortune 1000 companies that Miami does. Do you understand how more well rounded of a job base that is?

That's like saying well you shouldn't really look to Miami cause there's really only one specific type of person you can be there, a real estate agent or club owner.

FWIW I still picked Miami for the criteria that the OP lists, but your comment was supremely off base.

Old 12-08-2020, 10:31 AM

Quote:

He has no clue what he posted. LOL

Old 12-08-2020, 10:35 AM

Location: That star on your map in the middle of the East Coast, DMV
8,128 posts, read 7,552,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC's Finest View Post
He has no clue what he posted. LOL
Just saying anything. Lmao!

I love Miami, so I'll concede and suggest to the OP that it's the obvious first choice for a number of reasons, but that post was the epitome of ignorance.

Old 12-08-2020, 10:36 AM

8,851 posts, read 5,864,131 times
Quote:

Where are you getting your numbers for tech? Chicago is constantly in the top tier for tech jobs and overall workforce (Banking, Law, Medicine). DC may edge it out in tech, but more than Chicago AND Miami combined? Miami would be below both Chicago and DC for overall professional workforce, but Chicago is in the top 10 for most sectors, so I don't think "combined" DC would be more than both.

I agree that Chicago and DC are both significantly ahead when you look at overall professional workforce across industries. DC may edge out Chicago on some metrics, but it would not be a blowout.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City